Sign in to follow this  
captain420

How are SceneryTech's landclasses?

It's expensive if you install it only to find that in the areas you fly it messes up as much as if fixes!

Please explain to me how does it mess it up again? The stock FSX landclass is completely effed up, just look at the FTXG running on it.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Please explain to me how does it mess it up again?

Cities sprouting out in locations they have no right to be; as a bush flyer this was a real deal breaker.

FSGENESIS US landclass best I have seen, make sure you put it between UTX Urban & Vegetation - very important just tested it, the difference between right and wrong was a town near the grand canyon wrong position in library no city.

Rich Sennett

FSGENESIS US landclass best I have seen, make sure you put it between UTX Urban & Vegetation - very important just tested it, the difference between right and wrong was a town near the grand canyon wrong position in library no city.

What's the Scenery Library entry name for US National Landclass from FSG? I'm having problems finding it.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Please explain to me how does it mess it up again? The stock FSX landclass is completely effed up, just look at the FTXG running on it.

In some areas addon landclass can make things look worse if it happens to use different texture that doesn't fit the area well anymore with FTX Global, like Scenerytech Asia made Afghanistan all green when it was quite fine with default landclass. 

The pluses out weigh the negatives (meaning LC stays loaded for me) Camp IMO.

Rich Sennett

Where you fly will dictate what landclass is available and just how well it works; for me (for the areas I fly) the negatives outweighed the positives.

I don't think it's about choice and number 1 and 2 here because UTX and OpenLC are (will be) different addons. The ONLY thing they have in coming is landclass which is the main part of OpenLC but just a small part of UTX. UTX is more about roads, waters, railroads and that kind of 'vector data'. OpenLC won't have any of that vector data. Add to that the fact that OpenLC will come with extra textures (in addition to the FTXG textures: if you get all OpenLC regions you will have DOUBLED the amount of FTXG textures!) and you have two addons who 1. are completely different and 2. are both very good to have!

I own UTX Europe and I will certainly get OpenLC Europe. I don't fly anywhere else that often but the overall quality of FTXG might well help me to fly somewhere else every now and then. I won't need UTX for those flights but maybe I will get OpenLC for those flights, also because of the extra textures.

You make a good point, Jeroen.  There's definitely a case to be made for doubling up - OpenLC for landclass (and additional textures), UTX for vector data.  Though I'd be a little worried about mis-matches between the two causing further problems.  And if budget is an issue it becomes a little trickier to justify the extra expense based on diminishing returns..  Anyone tried explaining the difference between landclass & vector data to their spouse/partner/Keeper Of The Privy Purse?

Like you I'm using UTX Europe and I'll probably get OpenLC Europe, if only to see how much of an improvement it actually can be, and if they do play nicely together, 

But back to the OP's question.. for the areas that UTX don't cover, and assuming they didn't have FTX-G or that wasn't an option for some reason, what alternatives are there to the SceneryTech landclasses, for places like South America, Africa or Asia?

Dr V

The best landclass addon for FSX is coming from... ^_^ you, yourself. That's right. Creating custom landclass for FSX is not hard at all. (If you know how to fly a 737, then you surely know how to do this, and provided you have the SDK installed and are willing to spend a bit of time)

All you need are two programs: 'Google Earth' and a freeware called 'FSXKML'. The procedures are:

1) Find the area in Google Earth you want to work with,

2) Use the polygon tool to draw a polygon surrounding the area (city, forest, beach, town...), keep continuing for other areas as well,

3) Save the polygons in Google Earth KML format.

4) Open the KML file in FSXKML, tag the polygons with the appropriate landclass from a list (city, forest, beach, town...), Click 'Build'. Within seconds, you have the most accurate, most precise landclass in BGL format ready to be used in FSX.

I tried Scenery Tech landclass for NA when it first came out and it wasn't even close to being accurate for the areas around BC that I am very familiar with.  Ended up getting a refund and purchasing Cloud 9 Landclass for the world.  Can't say it's better than Scenery Tech everywhere, but it was far more accurate in the areas that I am familiar with.  It is now my basic landclass addon, but, of course, I now have many FTX regions sitting on top of that for the areas I frequently fly.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Ended up getting a refund and purchasing Cloud 9 Landclass for the world.

Do you have a purchase link or site info??  I would like to buy more X-Class (I've been using the USA product for years) but cannot seem to locate a site.   Thanks :-)