Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

The Importance of VSync

Yes, this works only in full screen

Thanks.

Also, If someone could help me on this. I just installed a fresh copy of Prepar3D (same tweaks apply) and I did exactly 

what Maurice did except im getting between 20 and 30 FPS with the NGX in default scenery. I think it has something to do with my prepar3D settings in game, how should i set them?

Go to start and type msconfig.exe and run it. Go to the startup tab and untick the programs you see there and which you always stop manually. Now they won't load anymore when you start Windows. This is the easiest way of doing it. (I always remove the entries from the registry but this also works). Now maybe Adobe takes a few seconds longer to load but that shouldn't be a problem.

BTW I don't use Adobe Reader anymore but of course I also do need to read pdf's too so I use PDF-XChange Viewer for that ( http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer ): the free version can be used for eternity without problems: no need to buy it. This pdf reader is known to be 'light' on the system. Uses FAR less resources (Adobe Reader is much too heavy) and loads nothing when Windows start (make sure to untick all the options you don't want during installation).

And for playing music I use Foobar (http://www.foobar2000.org/) which is also very 'light' (iTunes is way too heavy and installs all kinds of stuff I don't need or want) and also loads nothing into Windows at startup. I don't own an iPod or something like that, otherwise I proably would be forced to use iTunes...

That's super!  Thank you very much.  Gonna get everything taken care of before my next flight.

I don't plan to keep iTunes for much longer.  I only had it set up for my backup iPod with only a few albums installed.  Only thing in my PC is basically FS9/FSX.

1) Digital to analogue conversion you are talking about is done by Realtek chip in your case, and you can say that CPU is not involved in this conversion on all resent mobos.

2) If you still want to kick out your onboard audio, just go to BIOS and turn it off there, then you can also disable it in your Device Manager in "Sound, video and game controllers" section. Or just disable it in Device Manager only.

Dirk.

Thanks.  That's the thing I'm not sure about.  At first I was quite sure there is a DAC chip on the mobo but later on I started to think maybe the CPU is doing it.  The mobo is probably from 2009/2010.  The reason I started to think it could be the CPU is because in FS9, I used to get this fps hiccup for a fraction of a second every 10 seconds or so.  When I turned off the Realtek process, the hiccups went away.

Thanks.

Also, If someone could help me on this. I just installed a fresh copy of Prepar3D (same tweaks apply) and I did exactly 

what Maurice did except im getting between 20 and 30 FPS with the NGX in default scenery. I think it has something to do with my prepar3D settings in game, how should i set them?

What are your scenery, weather and traffic settings?

PMDG 737, ORBX global, flight beam KSFO or fly tampa midway, no weather no traffic, scenery in very dense and dense

Those settings are more than reasonable for your PC.  I really don't know why it's dipping down to 20 with no weather or ai.  Unless you have light bloom enabled.  Ground scenery shadows will also have a big impact on fps.

Hopefully someone knows what's going on.

Those settings are more than reasonable for your PC.  I really don't know why it's dipping down to 20 with no weather or ai.  Unless you have light bloom enabled.  Ground scenery shadows will also have a big impact on fps.

Hopefully someone knows what's going on.

Light bloom? I dont think I disabled that, is it on by default? Anyways ill be on P3D tommarow and ill tell you how it goes! 

Light bloom? I dont think I disabled that, is it on by default? Anyways ill be on P3D tommarow and ill tell you how it goes! 

Sorry, my mistake.  P3D doesn't have light bloom.

Ok so I tried bojote tweak tool and now im back at a good CFG file. Now im trying different things. Your NI idea with frames locked externally and then locked internally plus bufferpools=0 or leaving it out. Ill post my results later

Great to hear.  Maybe I should give the Bojote tweak another shot.  btw, ignore that comment I made about setting fsx to "above normal" on task manager.  I had my FS9 thinking cap on.  I did a flight not too long ago and I don't think I see a difference in FSX, but it was there in FS9.

Ok so I tried bojote tweak tool and now im back at a good CFG file.

Maybe I should give the Bojote tweak another shot.

Sorry for posting this everytime but you are way better off by applying tweaks one by one and TESTING them one by one... so I would advice something like Word Not Allowed's guide (and even that guide has too many tweaks already). Bojote's tool adds way too much entries to the cfg (sometimes even with totally WRONG settings) and you won't be able to tell if they work or if they even have a negative effect!

I tested things thoroughly on my PC and the only tweak that works on my rig is BufferPools=0. All other tweaks (like the wellknown Texture-Bandwidth-Mult and Affinity Mask) have no real effect at all or even make performance worse. This may of course be different on your PC but you will never know it until you test things one tweak at a time.

P.S. The following is NOT a tweak but something Aces/MS forgot to add to SP2 and should be added to the cfg at all times:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

Sorry for posting this everytime but you are way better off by applying tweaks one by one and TESTING them one by one... so I would advice something like Word Not Allowed's guide (and even that guide has too many tweaks already). Bojote's tool adds way too much entries to the cfg (sometimes even with totally WRONG settings) and you won't be able to tell if they work or if they even have a negative effect!

I tested things thoroughly on my PC and the only tweak that works on my rig is BufferPools=0. All other tweaks (like the wellknown Texture-Bandwidth-Mult and Affinity Mask) have no real effect at all or even make performance worse. This may of course be different on your PC but you will never know it until you test things one tweak at a time.

P.S. The following is NOT a tweak but something Aces/MS forgot to add to SP2 and should be added to the cfg at all times:

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

Thanks.  I already have highmemfix.  So far that's the only thing I've done to the cfg.  I need to play around with BP=0 some more.  I don't think my GTX560 is powerful enough for it though.

I'll take your advice and next time I feel like tweaking, I will try them one by one instead.  Bojote's tweak gave me stutters the last time I tried it.  Word Not Allowed's tweaks made my performance worse.

With forcevsyncinwindowedmode activated do I still need to setup my Nvidia Inspector to 1/2 refresh rate for Vsync? Thanks

Alexis Mefano

Ok so here are my findings:

Keep in mind im using Bojotes tweak.

Using this fix I was able to get a good frame rate of about 25FPS with the NGX and Flight beam studios KSFO or any other high quality airport addon. Only problem with this tweak is that FSX doesnt look nice (Anti aliasing needed), so I tried to find some tweaks for the Nvidia inspector and found NickN's guide for Nvidia cards ( http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html ). I applied his settings along with the ones I had before and got the same FPS as before only now FSX looks nice. However, I quickly ran into blurry textures and thought this was the issue with an external limiter, so I set the internal limiter to 30 and now im getting about 25 FPS but it's very smooth and no blurries. 

I think i'm going to re install aerosoft Chicago X and see how my frames are however I am pretty sure that my frames are gonna drop tremendously  :P

With forcevsyncinwindowedmode activated do I still need to setup my Nvidia Inspector to 1/2 refresh rate for Vsync? Thanks

I ran it in fullscreen and windowed and didnt notice a difference in FPS or quality , but I would leave it at 1/2 just in case

Maurice, I've tested and flown with Bojote, Kostas settings quite a lot. I must admit I'm kinda back to these recently updated settings (post #5 by NickN):

http://www.simforums.com/forums/nvidia-settings-im-confused_topic45738_post274335.html#274335" rel="nofollowconfusedtopic45738_post274335.html#274335

I just don't use these 2 settings in FSX.cfg no matter what directed by NickN:

ForceFullScreenVSync=True
ForceVSync=True

AND, as I wrote, I changed UPPER_FRAME_LIMIT=0 in FSX.cfg and set Frame Rate LImiter to 30 fps in Inspector instead (1/2 Refresh is ON in Inspector).

Best fluidity and best FPS for me on the current hardware and OS (see his "bible" for OS tuning, it's also good).

Cheers,

Dirk.