Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

The Importance of VSync

I tried to set 30 fps in Inspector and FSX at unlimited: very bad performance, lots of spikes. So I am back to setting 30 fps in FSX itself. As usual indeed it's all very system dependant!

As far as Inspector is concerned: I am back not to the exact same settings as Word Not Allowed shows in his guide. I have been experimenting with lower settings, to gain some smoothness, but I found out in the end it didn't really make a difference. And with Word Not Allowed's settings I don't have any shimmering lines in the VC of the Legacy, which is nice.

My ONLY problem is how FSX loads the textures, which is always way too obvious, no matter what. And that has nothing to do with LOD_RADIUS or another tweak you might use: it's simply the system itself that I don't like. I see the same even when I turn off autogen completely or turn down every possible setting. FSX simply is an old game and I guess I have to live with some of the shortcomings. ;)

Lost in translation, B247NG, "urban" vs "rural"? Otherwise see your second post in this thread.

For me 30 fps locked in fsx.cfg can really hurt with pmdg737 in a heavy airport, there is no smoothness receiving 17-19 fps at all. It IS BAD seeing 28-30 fps tumble to 18-19 fps  when turning my POV towards object clots (buildings, airplanes etc). While 26 fps is visually much smoother in the same scenario, as 30 to 26 fps is not that much of a fall, it just requires fps unlimited in fsx.cfg and 30 locked in Instructor, get it now? 1/2 refresh rate in both cases.

Thanks,

Dirk.

PS: just note that the above occurs in a cloudy and rainy wx (cloud density @12, 80miles, 14+ layers in AS2012), those frames above are my absolute minimum, my base line I build upon. In light wx 30 fps locked in fsx.cfg will be smoother, but then I don't care much when flying airliners.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Lol for urban and rural! My mistake, I was too concentrated on other aspects. But you understand what i tried to say.

Maybe this has to do with fps absolute minimus... On my system, with my addons and settings, and on airports i usualy fly, FPS are not going that low like you said. When happens, my fps drop is usually only couple of FPS and smoothnest is not affected. I think lowest fpsvalue i see is about 23-24fps, and in this case i get some stutters, but i can live with that - i still can TO and Land. With unlimited, i can TO and land, but i can't fly. And i can't pause FSX all the time to change limiter settings after TO and before landing, i don't like this idea and i can't do this on vatsim.

I understand your point, but what happens after take off when you leave urban area? I fly airliners, and for me is imposible to fly out of urban areas becouse of spikes and some other strange similar things that i'm not sure how to describe well - the whole sim seems to accelerate for couple of seconds, then slows down, then again accelerates etc. Worse then simple spikes. 

EDIT:

Just tested your settings on Aerosoft EDDT with NGX. This is airport where i have some fps drop. With fps to unlimited and vsync to 1/2, take off roll is smooth only when fps are arround 30(i expected this), but i saw some spikes to over 40fps and drops below 10fps. Stutters, microstutters and not smooth at all. 

I think different systems with different addons combined with different ways to use fsx and different users with different perceptions, can lead to some different conlusions... 

Edited by B247NG

The funny thing is that VSync would always limit your frames right? At least that's what I think I remember, I'm not an expert on this. So at 1/2 refreshrate it should always lock at 30 if the VSync really works.

When i go Windowed mode where Vsync doesn't work by default (which I only do unintentionally with ALT TAB) , then i can see the 30 lock is breaking and it takes the Nvidia Inspector frame limit (tested NI set to 35 to make sure). I have FSX at unlimited.

I have always used the freeware Java frame limiter thingy myself, not the NI one. So if you have a problem, you can try that one as well.

It looks OK to me, except for an uncommented line in your [main] section. The line says "but may result in stuttering...".

Comment it out with "//" or delete it altogether.

It may be that it doesn't affect anything, but it's best to fix it.

[edit] Yes, Badfinger is right about those. A LOD at 6.5 should be good enough.

I have no experience with Hyperthreading, but remember reading that having it on may cause worse performance.

My GPU load is around 10-15%, even when flying. Are those settings you gave me for NI better than my previous ones? When I mean better I am referring to the antialiasing settings. The numbers are lower this time 4x4 so I'm wondering if the quality is lower as well?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just a question for you guys getting the spikes when fps is locked in NI.

Are you seeing the spikes in the fsx fps display (shift+z)?

Mine shows the fps I locked it on but fluctuates by 1 or 2 fps.  No stutters or jerks after leaving urban areas.

MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RemoveSmallPartRejectRadius=4.0>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Remove

Turn HT off and change this

AffinityMask=84 to AffinityMask=14

LOD @ 8.5 is putting you in OOM country, depending what addons you have

Add.

[bufferPools]

UsePools=0

By default (no entry FSX will use 4mb

So like this?

[bufferPools]
BufferPools=1
PoolSize=0
UsePools=0

or do I get rid of bufferpools=1 and poolsize=0 and just add usepools=0?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

So like this?

[bufferPools]
BufferPools=1
PoolSize=0
UsePools=0

or do I get rid of bufferpools=1 and poolsize=0 and just add usepools=0?

Yea, just usepools=0, you can delete the rest (or comment out) if you want to run with the bp=0 tweak.

Which one is it? 

Aaron... Antialiasing settings really are a matter of taste, as long as you keep the GPU usage in check. Use what you find looks best.

I prefer a sharper overall image that you get by using multisampling for "Antialiasing mode". This setting applies to the whole screen and softens the outer edges of polygons.

Others prefer one of the combined modes (supersampling + multisampling) that gives a softer and slightly blurred look, 8xS and 8xSQ are such modes.

The other setting, "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling", softens the edges inside polygons with semi-stransparent textures, trees for example.

SGSS (sparse grid supersampling) gives the best result but is also quite demanding.

You really have to try out different settings and see what you like.

And about bufferpools, just use this:

[bufferpools]

Poolsize=0

Peter, okay will do thanks!

Maybe this has to do with fps absolute minimus... 

Yes, this is it. Besides I don't see any spikes above 30 fps with PMDG737 no matter where I go, let alone any 'unlimited fps'-related stutters with this plane. I tell you it's much worse when FPS starts plummeting from 30 to 17 on final, that's when you see and hurt real stutters. Have wasted way too much time comparing the settings (30fps in fsx.cfg or in Instructor) to change my view on this. And btw on my system Instructor perfectly limits (30+1) the fps to whatever you set in the limit with any plane, I don't know why it does not on your system there. But mind you I take fps measurement with FRAPS.

Cheers,

Dirk. 

whats the difference between usepools=0 and poolsize=0? Do i need both of these entries inside my cfg file?

Also is bufferpools=1 the same as usepools=1?

I tried to set 30 fps in Inspector and FSX at unlimited: very bad performance, lots of spikes. So I am back to setting 30 fps in FSX itself. As usual indeed it's all very system dependant!

Did you leave 1/2 refresh rate On in Instructor?

Weird, here Instructor perfectly limits my frames and they never exceed number 30-31 in the lightest scenario. Perhaps this is why I don't see spikes.

Dirk.

Just a question for you guys getting the spikes when fps is locked in NI.

Are you seeing the spikes in the fsx fps display (shift+z)?

Mine shows the fps I locked it on but fluctuates by 1 or 2 fps.  No stutters or jerks after leaving urban areas.

+1

Dirk.

Yes, this is it. Besides I don't see any spikes above 30 fps with PMDG737 no matter where I go, let alone any 'unlimited fps'-related stutters with this plane. I tell you it's much worse when FPS starts plummeting from 30 to 17 on final, that's when you see and hurt real stutters. Have wasted way too much time comparing the settings (30fps in fsx.cfg or in Instructor) to change my view on this. And btw on my system Instructor perfectly limits (30+1) the fps to whatever you set in the limit with any plane, I don't know why it does not on your system there. But mind you I take fps measurement with FRAPS.

Cheers,

Dirk. 

Sure, i use fraps too. And i used unlimited fps on my previous PC, never managed to get good fps at that time. Different system :)

whats the difference between usepools=0 and poolsize=0? Do i need both of these entries inside my cfg file?

Also is bufferpools=1 the same as usepools=1?

There is no difference. They do the same thing, and you need only one of them 

- usepools=0 or poolsize=0

b247ng, thanks for clearing that up.