Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

The Importance of VSync

ANyone using Windows 8 and the .bat file to reset Aero? I don't think it's working  here, since Aero doesn't flash when I start FSX, it used to with Windows 7 .

Alexis Mefano

I've attached the 2 images on this reply. My cfg is default.  I deleted it the other day and let fsx build a new one.  Only things I've changed are texture max load to 4096, added disable preload for faster initial load time, and hide info text to get rid of the red texts.

I'm going to play around with triple buffering and maximum pre rendered frames next.

Maurice

Brilliant.  Close to what I got with all those tweaks.  

I, however, use the windowed mode and the screen tearing is very apparent.  Added the "ForceWindowedVsync=1" and am running it with the combination of the aero fix suggested in the fsx_guide.  This seems to reduce the screen tearing but does not eliminate it totally.  Wonder if I there is something more one can do to totally eliminate this issue.

A recent post from Word Not Allowed (in the July 2013 archives) suggested that Ezdok does not like the vsync fix within FSX.  Did not really gather what he suggests with guys like me who are comfortable running FSX in the windowed mode.  Looks like a conflict between screen tearing and micro stuttering when panning between views.  A suggestion here would help.

Finally, the most important observation....the mouse at times reacts very slowly and there is a time lag.  Very noticeable I would say.  This lasts for about 30 secs and then comes back to normal.  Note that the fps is normal at this time.  Can compare the behaviour to those times when there is something working in the background and the mouse reacting slowly.  There was nothing really working in the background when I checked.  

Also read about this post suggesting to exit antivirus to make Ezdok work smoothly.  First of all, is this true?  If yes, I am using Kaspersky and would appreciate if someone could help me add the Ezdok software to the exclusion list.

Good job anyways.  Looking for help with my questions above.

Ted

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own1_378x68.jpg ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

Hi Ted,

Sorry to hear about your VSync issues.  Is there a reason why you're running in windowed mode?  I know some people get better performance in windowed mode.  If that's the case, you can try full screen again but maybe lower your autogen a notch.

I get my smoothest performance (if using airliners or flying GA in heavy areas like KLAS, KSEA, etc) with Autogen on "normal" and Scenery Comp. on "dense".

I do have EZDOK but I only use it for external and wing views when making videos.  For cockpit effects, I do notice a slight fps decrease.  I had no idea it doesn't like vsync in fsx.

Since your antivirus is turned off, some of your stutters might be similar to what I used to get.  I run my audio through HDMI to my display, therefore, I don't need any internal audio processing/application running.  I simply opened task manager and closed the Realtek HD sound application.  There is a slight but noticeable decrease in stutters and hiccups after I close it.  This application converts the digital audio tracks to analog (which I'm sure takes a bit of processing power) and sends it out via the audio output/headphone jack.

So if you're keeping your audio output digital (HDMI or Optical), you don't need any audio application (digital to analog conversion) running in the background in your PC.  Even with the headphone jack unplugged, the application is still doing what it's suppose to do.  Since I run HDMI, the digital audio is converted to analog by my display. 

Another thing I do that some people suggest but there are just as many who say it's pointless, is setting fsx priority to "above normal".  Everytime I do this, I notice a very slight increase in performance.  There were times when I was flying and thought to myself, why am I getting some micro stutters?  Turns out I had forgotten to set it to above normal.  Changed the setting and it runs smoother.

Check your task manager and close any unwanted applications running in the background.  For my PC, I have to close Adobe reader, iTunes Helper, and the Realtek sound application.  Make sure you only close those that you know, and you know you won't be using them.  Most of the background applications you see running, are needed by windows.

There is also a program you can download for free called "end it all" which basically does the same thing.

As for the mouse pointer, sorry, I really don't know what could be causing the delays.  I've never experienced this.  Hopefully somebody knows about it.

Check your task manager and close any unwanted applications running in the background. For my PC, I have to close Adobe reader, iTunes Helper, and the Realtek sound application. Make sure you only close those that you know, and you know you won't be using them. Most of the background applications you see running, are needed by windows.

I don't believe in fooling around with processes in the background but I do believe in NOT starting applications you don't need when Windows start. Why don't you simply prevent those programs from loading when Windows start? You don't need them so why let them load anyway and manually close them down?

BTW I even stopped using Adobe and Apple stuff anyway because of the too high system resources. I use a lite pdf reader and also a lite music program which both don't loading anything in WIndows unless I start the program manually and if I use them the load on the system is light anyway.

J Van

Agree totally.  I am a step ahead.  I don't have any other software than FSX, SB4, AS2012, FSBuild, EZdoK, Vroute & Servinfo on my rig.

Ted

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own1_378x68.jpg ftx_supporter_avsim.gif

J Van

Agree totally.  I am a step ahead.  I don't have any other software than FSX, SB4, AS2012, FSBuild, EZdoK, Vroute & Servinfo on my rig.

Ted

+1

but more extreme, i have AS2012, FSInn, Vroute and other external applications on networked PC  :lol:

I don't believe in fooling around with processes in the background but I do believe in NOT starting applications you don't need when Windows start. Why don't you simply prevent those programs from loading when Windows start? You don't need them so why let them load anyway and manually close them down?

BTW I even stopped using Adobe and Apple stuff anyway because of the too high system resources. I use a lite pdf reader and also a lite music program which both don't loading anything in WIndows unless I start the program manually and if I use them the load on the system is light anyway.

I spent some time messing around with the processes and never had any problems.  But anything above the "above normal" setting and I get this ticking sound everytime the  audio loops similar to what some experience in FS9 with fps set to unlimited.

I don't know how to stop those programs from running in the background so I just shut them off through task manager.

I don't think I want to uninstall adobe though.  I need it for the add on manuals.

I don't know how to stop those programs from running in the background so I just shut them off through task manager.

Go to start and type msconfig.exe and run it. Go to the startup tab and untick the programs you see there and which you always stop manually. Now they won't load anymore when you start Windows. This is the easiest way of doing it. (I always remove the entries from the registry but this also works). Now maybe Adobe takes a few seconds longer to load but that shouldn't be a problem.

BTW I don't use Adobe Reader anymore but of course I also do need to read pdf's too so I use PDF-XChange Viewer for that ( http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer ): the free version can be used for eternity without problems: no need to buy it. This pdf reader is known to be 'light' on the system. Uses FAR less resources (Adobe Reader is much too heavy) and loads nothing when Windows start (make sure to untick all the options you don't want during installation).

And for playing music I use Foobar (http://www.foobar2000.org/) which is also very 'light' (iTunes is way too heavy and installs all kinds of stuff I don't need or want) and also loads nothing into Windows at startup. I don't own an iPod or something like that, otherwise I proably would be forced to use iTunes...

Jeroen, thanks for this PDF viewer! I'm going to uninstall adobe in next 3seconds  ^_^

I had adobe blocked/disabled(using CCleaner)to lunch anything on startup, and their update program(adobearm in processes)deleted from system. But i needed to set this every time after updates, which are needed at some point. I didn't notice performance impact using adobe, but i don't like it at all! Thanks again

It's not a bad thing to close services, processes or programs only when starting FSX. I use my PC for much more than just FSX, and for those I need some services that I don't need for FSX or want other stuff to be loaded quickly.

For this I use Alacrity and it works very well. But there are many alternatives.

It's not a bad thing to close services, processes or programs only when starting FSX. I use my PC for much more than just FSX, and for those I need some services that I don't need for FSX or want other stuff to be loaded quickly.

For this I use Alacrity and it works very well. But there are many alternatives.

I have never been able to get any measurable benefit from Gamebooster or Alacrity nor from shutting down (huge lists of) services manually... but maybe that's because I always keep my system clean and always use programs that are 'light' and don't run without in the background for no reason.  ^_^  I have a few system 'tweaks' I perform after I reinstall Windows and that's it.

Since your antivirus is turned off, some of your stutters might be similar to what I used to get.  I run my audio through HDMI to my display, therefore, I don't need any internal audio processing/application running.  I simply opened task manager and closed the Realtek HD sound application.  There is a slight but noticeable decrease in stutters and hiccups after I close it.  This application converts the digital audio tracks to analog (which I'm sure takes a bit of processing power) and sends it out via the audio output/headphone jack.

So if you're keeping your audio output digital (HDMI or Optical), you don't need any audio application (digital to analog conversion) running in the background in your PC.  Even with the headphone jack unplugged, the application is still doing what it's suppose to do.  Since I run HDMI, the digital audio is converted to analog by my display. 

Another thing I do that some people suggest but there are just as many who say it's pointless, is setting fsx priority to "above normal".  Everytime I do this, I notice a very slight increase in performance.  There were times when I was flying and thought to myself, why am I getting some micro stutters?  Turns out I had forgotten to set it to above normal.  Changed the setting and it runs smoother.

Check your task manager and close any unwanted applications running in the background.  For my PC, I have to close Adobe reader, iTunes Helper, and the Realtek sound application.  Make sure you only close those that you know, and you know you won't be using them.  Most of the background applications you see running, are needed by windows.

1) Digital to analogue conversion you are talking about is done by Realtek chip in your case, and you can say that CPU is not involved in this conversion on all resent mobos.

2) If you still want to kick out your onboard audio, just go to BIOS and turn it off there, then you can also disable it in your Device Manager in "Sound, video and game controllers" section. Or just disable it in Device Manager only.

Dirk.

No matter how you like or dislike NickN and his style, I'd recommend everyone flying fsx to go through his new FSX computer system bible, just don' t take it as a bible and you'll be ok, lol.

However it is FSX-classic:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Dirk.

Is there a difference between running this tweak in fullscreen or windowed?

Yes, this works only in full screen