Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

Aerosoft's Twin Otter X vs Extended

Hey Steve,

I believe the new Twin Otter Extended will prove to be the ideal mid-sized GA aircraft for the folks who like to get to know their a/c well and operate it according to the manual.  The Twin Otter has always possessed a large flight envelope making it capable of operating in a wide variety of environments and so this model will be very much at home in a bush environment or hauling passengers and freight to and from more civilized facilities.

Those of us who enjoy the A2A and RealAir GA products have come to appreciate the detail, "feel", and overall quality of those offerings.  I do believe this a/c will soon carve out its own nitch and  develop a following of simmers who will put it to good use in a variety of environments.

What exactly you all mean when you say that the systems are more realistic? In which way?

In the first version, virtually all switches on the overhead were non-functional / just for show.

In this version there is better modelling of overhead systems, bleeds, etc.

The Twin Otter (in real world) is not a complex aircraft;   It's neither pressurized, nor does it have even (for example) the complexity of retractable gear.   90% of it's complexity is in those PT6 engines. :smile:

But the 'Extended; is a far better representation of the systems it does have.

Those of us who enjoy the A2A and RealAir GA products have come to appreciate the detail, "feel", and overall quality of those offerings.

Exactly. Once you have tryed these aircraft from the likes of A2A its hard to settle for anything less in my opinion. Such is the quality and level of realism in the way they operate. I don't expect the TO Extended to match up to those offerings but it seems a good effort from what i have read and seen. Don't forget Its much cheaper too.

Kind Regards

Simon.

It is a joy to fly, and with V1.0.3. the autopilot is working well in all modes..

Here is to hoping that we get an RXP GNS530 in the panel, and it will be just perfect B)

Bert

I'm glad i clicked on this thread out of curiosity.  Wouldn't of known about the 1.03 update.  Off to d/l (translation: navigate the mess that is the Aerosoft site) right now!  Thanks for the heads up.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Guys, just bought this ( with the nice little discount as a owner of the X version ) hav'nt installed yet but look forward to comparing the two.

On the Aerosoft site theres a hotfix for a few issues since V1.03.

Kind Regards

Simon.

One thing that did throw me a bit when I went to configure the Extended-Tundra (TIR5 & OpusFSX camera settings) was I simply could not find the master switch for the avionics.  I was used to finding that switch in the overhead panel (under the windshield wiper control) and when I looked - no switch.  I'll bet I looked for the better part of an hour all over the cockpit.  

I was determined not to admit I couldn't find that switch! 

Finally having to admit defeat and in desperation, I asked for guidance over on the FTX forum.  Finn came to my rescue and told me that model does not have a avionics master switch!  All units must be activated individually.  :blush:  :blush:

Good to know about the avionics master switch! Thanks!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

T5 temperatures - I see they vary in different altitudes / ambient temperatures / rpm settings, but not necessarily in different speeds. Is this correct?

I realy like this aircraft. Currently I fly it simultaneously with aerosoft pby-5 catalina, a2a p51 civ, b377 and captainsim B707

Looking forward to updated sounds. And floats!

Can you tell me exactly what changes to the autopilot?

In the initial release, the pitch controller required many many movements to get the aircraft pitch to change (it's a multi-directional knob in the centre of the yoke bar).

It was required to push the rocker forward about 20 times, just to get -500 FPM of descent!

This has been fixed and now each click broadly seems to relate to about +/- 100 FPM change in pitch.

In the initial release, the pitch controller required many many movements to get the aircraft pitch to change (it's a multi-directional knob in the centre of the yoke bar).

It was required to push the rocker forward about 20 times, just to get -500 FPM of descent!

This has been fixed and now each click broadly seems to relate to about +/- 100 FPM change in pitch.

Thank you kind Sir!

Also, the IAS mode has been re-programmed and now works nicely..

Bert

Good... The ias mode rarely worked for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guys, just bought this ( with the nice little discount as a owner of the X version )

V1.03.

First flight yesterday. What a difference compared to previous version. For the price its a bargain. Like the interactive checklists. Had some issue with elevator trim & maintaining altitude but thats probably me being out of practice & abit dim. Messing up.

Handles nice & great FPS.

I always liked the X version but was definetly out of date.

I just need more practice if i can find the time.

Kind Regards

Simon.