Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

Do I really need HIGHMEMFIX?

Hi, just trying the ENB series and I have to say I'm hooked. Days look great...awesome. Nights darker like it should be. I cant fly without it now. The only downside is the black screens I get when switching menus. Its annoying starting a flight, firing up Fs passengers and then the black screen where you can hear the sound but no video is rendered.

I have kostas tweaks applied and they give me very good simming experience, but doing some reading I found that the Enb is not compatible with the HIGHMEMFIX=1 line I added to the graphics section of my fsx.cfg so I disabled it and voila!! Black screens are gone and I dont see any performance change. So Im wondering if I really need this fix in my cfg or I can just live without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This isn't an issue with HIGHMEMFIX or even ENB (although it doesn't help). 

The black screen issue is a problem with running FSX in full-screen mode and tabbing in and out of it, inevitably it happens. It's why pretty much everyone I know flies in maximised windowed mode.

If you use any complex aircraft like the NGX, then you will need HIGHMEMFIX.

Yes, you definitely need [HIGHMEMFIX].

It was a self-confessed ommision from FSX SP2, by Microsoft.

........... and hence it is natively there in P3D :wink:

As Noble above said, you may be ok for now, but in more complex or texture rich add-ons, you'll run out memory.

It's not a performance tweak; it doesn't improve frame rates - but it stops your PC running out of available memory, very early.

PS........ Maximized Window mode?? ...........Never!....... black screens or not, it's been Full Screen for me for the last 10 years. :smile:

This isn't an issue with HIGHMEMFIX or even ENB (although it doesn't help). 

The black screen issue is a problem with running FSX in full-screen mode and tabbing in and out of it, inevitably it happens. It's why pretty much everyone I know flies in maximised windowed mode.

If you use any complex aircraft like the NGX, then you will need HIGHMEMFIX.

Well I run my FSX in full screen mode and I did a lot of tests. In all of them I recovered the virtual cockpit view with no issues. 

You will end up with graphic abnormalities as stated above with complex aircraft, so I would advise to put it back in.

As to crashes in full screen, as Luke posted, I have never had a CTD switching full screen. I always use the menu/view/fullscreen and has never been an issue. I can switch just as quick using the menu as using keyboard shorcut. Try it.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

You will end up with graphic abnormalities as stated above with complex aircraft, so I would advise to put it back in.

As to crashes in full screen, as Luke posted, I have never had a CTD switching full screen. I always use the menu/view/fullscreen and has never been an issue. I can switch just as quick using the menu as using keyboard shorcut. Try it.

Well I run my FSX in full screen mode and I did a lot of tests. In all of them I recovered the virtual cockpit view with no issues. 

Interesting. Whenever I run full-screen mode and am doing a proper flight with something like the NGX/Concorde, tabbing out of FSX for more than five minutes gives a pretty good chance of a complete black-screen when I go back into it. This is also over multiple computers I've had in the last 4-5 years (and happens to quite a few friends) so I assumed this was an issue with FSX. Perhaps it's an issue with SB4/FSInn? Do either of you use VATSIM?

PS........ Maximized Window mode?? ...........Never!....... black screens or not, it's been Full Screen for me for the last 10 years. :smile:

I used to use full-screen before FSX, it isn't to too much of a change (since it's just the thin application bar at the top). I also get better FPS using windowed as opposed to full-screen as well (for some odd reason).

Any fix to make the 2 work together? I dont want to give up on enb. Also I doubt the cause of the black screen is something else since when I disabled the line in the cfg the issue stopped.

I think there is an issue too trying to run two or more monitors with FSX at full screen.

If anyone knows a way to run multiple monitors off the one card with full screen let me know.

I've got a GTX660 2GB if that helps.

I think there is an issue too trying to run two or more monitors with FSX at full screen.

If anyone knows a way to run multiple monitors off the one card with full screen let me know.

I've got a GTX660 2GB if that helps.

I run 3 screens on an AMD XFX 7770 at full screen. One to fly and the other 2 for gauges and outside view. When I do long flights I run in window mode so I can watch youtube or browse avsim on the other monitors. What kind of problem are you having

I'm probably not having as issue as such.

I use the second monitor for flight planning, charts, internet browsing etc.

If that's what I want then I can't run only my main FSX monitor in fullscreen.  Would be good to have one full screen and the other windowed for web browsing etc.

Any fix to make the 2 work together? I dont want to give up on enb. Also I doubt the cause of the black screen is something else since when I disabled the line in the cfg the issue stopped.

All I do is hit the Enter key and she goes out of black screen back to FSX.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

SweetFX looks much better overall and works perfect here. It was kinda relief to switch from ENB to SweetFX in many regards.  The only issue I've found is that I have to run pmdg737ngx in windowed mode, otherwise the screen flickers when I switch views in the cockpit. To some reason in windowed mode I have the same FPS with pmg737ngx.

In my case ENB always cost me 4-6 fps, whereas SweetFX is like 1-2 maximum.

If you haven't try SweetFX I strongly recommend to spend some time understanding it and picking the right config for your system. 

Dirk.

I don't use it. when I tried it out for a bit then deleted that I didn't find any negative, or positive effects.

SweetFX looks much better overall and works perfect here. It was kinda relief to switch from ENB to SweetFX in many regards.  The only issue I've found is that I have to run pmdg737ngx in windowed mode, otherwise the screen flickers when I switch views in the cockpit. To some reason in windowed mode I have the same FPS with pmg737ngx.

In my case ENB always cost me 4-6 fps, whereas SweetFX is like 1-2 maximum.

If you haven't try SweetFX I strongly recommend to spend some time understanding it and picking the right config for your system. 

Dirk.

Definitely I have to try it. Any particular settings that I have to configurate?