Sign in to follow this  
untilestablished

Arming LNAV/VNAV

While some people seem to be of the opinion that VNAV is forbidden to be armed before departure, after the introduction of new software (U10.7 from memory), it is now a standard procedure on aircraft that have such software installed.

Back in the day Boeing had issued a bulletin circular notice saying that VNAV should not be armed prior to departure, however with the introduction of 10.7 they stuck a reverse advisory on all new revised, 737 related documents...(the reason being is the VNAV wouldn't provide protection against overspeeding the flaps..therefore they recommended the a/c was clean before arming/engaging VNAV).

...but seeing as the NGX has software >10.7, I recommended arming LNAV/VNAV where neccesary (obviously not if your flying the JFK1 departure with CRI climb, that will just end in tears with the controller ripping you a new you know what).

(obviously not if your flying the JFK1 departure with CRI climb, that will just end in tears with the controller ripping you a new you know what).

haha - yes.  Yes, indeed.  Welcome to N90!

Kyle Rodgers

U10.7 from memory

On our aircraft, arming VNAV was not permitted until 10.8A. I don't actually know if this was hard feature or just some kind of certification issue.

haha - yes.  Yes, indeed.  Welcome to N90!

Oh believe me, I have been welcomed by the controllers sitting in the virtual N90 tracon many a times.

I can remember countless times where pilots have got the numerous climbs so, so wrong..and then I have gone out and nailed it... I coulda sworn that the controllers thought that I would be part of the 90% that screw it up though. The relief in their voice when saying 'Radaaaaaaar Contaaaaact' is priceless though.

Although I remember back in the day when I did the same thing, but on the LOOP4 outta LAX... Oh and then I discovery things called Jepps :He He:

I can remember countless times where pilots have got the numerous climbs so, so wrong..and then I have gone out and nailed it... I coulda sworn that the controllers thought that I would be part of the 90% that screw it up though. The relief in their voice when saying 'Radaaaaaaar Contaaaaact' is priceless though.

It's getting to the point where I say "...clearance to [destination] - able [EWR1/JFK1] departure."

Neither are really not that hard.  You just have to look at the [darned] chart and not be completely dependent on the FMC...shocker...haha.

Kyle Rodgers

according to skysurfer007, the RW 737ng pilot demonstrating how to fly the ngx737, they are not armed for a reason,

I cannot recall which of his videos it was mentioned but it had something to do with engine failure scenario i believe. 

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

I'm always arming LNAV on the ground when i'll fly a RNAV SID, when there's no RNAV sid available I don't arm it. And I never arm VNAV. I select VNAV when the flaps are retracted.

according to skysurfer007, the RW 737ng pilot demonstrating how to fly the ngx737, they are not armed for a reason,

I cannot recall which of his videos it was mentioned but it had something to do with engine failure scenario i believe. 

Well, it is primarily dependent upon airline SOP as well.  Every airline seems to think they have the "best" way to fly their airplanes over the other guys.

Every airline seems to think they have the "best" way to fly their airplanes over the other guys.

Man, ain't that the truth...

Kyle Rodgers

Every airline seems to think they have the "best" way to fly their airplanes over the other guys.

Except for Qantas guys, they know they do it best :D

I usually activate LNAV and VNAV when I'm 

a ) No longer above the airport

b ) 500 feet above the terrain I'm flying over

Both restrictions have to be met before I arm either of the two.

Same here.

Extra note: if you're using FS2Crew, with VNAV/LNAV armed before takeoff, you will get CALLS to say they are active, but you don't have to select them; you DO need to select Command A for autopilot - and my commonest mistake was to have my joystick deflected when I called for CMD A - always centre your stick first, to avoid an issue here.

Paul Skol

Except for Qantas guys, they know they do it best :D

hhahaha

interesting you mention that company

IRL with the B738 SOP is to arm LNAV VNAV at the gate before push back, which is a procedure I adopt in the sim and it works very well.

Rob Grant
Compass Airlines - Stretch Your Wings Australia

I usually activate LNAV and VNAV when I'm 

a ) No longer above the airport

b ) 500 feet above the terrain I'm flying over

Both restrictions have to be met before I arm either of the two.

Just out of curiosity, why?

Matt Cee