Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Help guys...I'm flying online participating in a big event and have an issue with my landing gear

No, you're right - this is not the recommended way loading the aircraft and especially true for such an advanced aircraft as the NGX but since it has been working just fine in my case (except for this issue if this indeed has been caused by loading the flight like this) I have chosen to do it this way despite not being recommended.

I promised to also let you know for other seeing the same issue to forward any information from PMDG and the support ticket I created and what that gave was I had it confirmed this is not a failure modelled in the NGX and when this happens it's a FSX generated "failure" and one suggestion from PMDG what may cause it is if you have an airport scenery with "virtual" pot holes. However and which I also said in my reply to them I've done a very high number of takeoffs from ESSA without seeing this problem which make me wonder if that really is the case here since I think I would have seen this problem more frequently.

Oh well...as long as I won't see the problem more often than I did so far I will just forget about this now and continue what's most fun...flying the NGX :Peace:

Hopefully this is the answer!! Anyone testing to confirm?

Well...if I had been able reproduce the failure it would have been easy to test this by loading a default a/c and then switch to the NGX as per the recommendation but since I've only seen this problem a couple of times out of hundreds of flights it's not that easy to test I'm afraid. However for anyone who see the problem more regulary maybe they could give it a go and see if it solves the issue.

Richard Åsberg

I always use the same situation (my previous flight)

I do the same thing. I just save my flight as "Current" and reload it when I come back. But if I begin to notice quirky behaviors, I just remember where I last parked and start a new flight from scratch at at that location, date, and time. I then load the default C & D panel state and take it from there. This has always solved strange issues I've had.

Best,

Walter Meier

Yes, I do it exaclty the same way as you. During all this time I've been flying the NGX of course I have several times for different kind of reasons not loaded the previous flight but instead manually repositioned myself in the correct location and loaded an appropriate panel state.

Richard Åsberg

I have several times for different kind of reasons not loaded the previous flight but instead manually repositioned myself in the correct location

And I'm assuming this has not resolved your current issue. It's very interesting. I wish I could help you find the problem. Troubleshooting was really my favorite task when fixing planes (more than 10 years ago!). Once I found the issue, I was always happy to have someone else fix it.  :smile:

Walter Meier

No you're right and I think what makes this one so hard to figure out is I can't reproduce the failure since I haven't a clue what is causing it in combination with how rarely this happens. Like already said I've only seen this problem maybe 3 or 4 times out of several hundreds flights.

Richard Åsberg

Guess what...just had the very same problem again on a flight from Trondheim this time back to Stockholm-Arlanda so I guess I should consider myself a lucky guy getting to experience this excitement again :wink:

After takeoff I had the exact same problem as last time, the right hand side main gear was still in it's down position looking in spot view although the gear lever was in it's first UP position and then moved to the OFF position after running through the after takeoff checklist.

What I did this time was to check for active failures not only in the NGX (which just like last time reported active failures to be none) but also in FSX under the Aircraft menu and what do you know...looing at the different items on the Systems tab the right gear had a check mark in the Failed box!

I cleared the failure and closed the menu and after doing this the indication of the disagreement between the gear and the gear lever extinguished in the NGX and I was very pleased having fixed the problem (or so I though...) until right after touchdown when the right hand side landing gear again sank into the ground...

So maybe it's time disabling crash detection in FSX after all because I've now experienced this twice in about 6 months and I do prefer to experience "real" problems rather than some weird failures FSX throws at me for no apparent reason and that don't seem to be "fixable". The way I see it there seem to be a disagreement not only between the landing gear and the landing gear lever but also between the failure modelling in FSX and the NGX.

Richard Åsberg

This has happened to me once before and I was pretty confident on what caused it. I was not flying online at the time, and not using any add ons other that REX my Traffic and GSX at the time, along with add on airport and scenery.

On the "rotation" call while rolling down the runway, I was a little careless with the rotation, relaxing the pressure on my yoke a little and the left main gear made contact with the ground after lifting off. I heard the impact of the gear touching down again. Aircraft was only loaded with about 75% payload and empty center tank, 2500 kg's in each wing tank. So not very heavy. I thought nothing of it until I started cleaning up after take off and saw the gear warning light. Sure enough, outside view confirmed the left gear was still down. Tried recycling a few times and then continued with the hour long flight, using a bit more fuel and at a slower speed. On landing, left gear collapsed and aircraft came to a halt off to the side of the runway, resting on the left engine nacelle.

Perhaps look at this for a possible cause - make sure your rotation at take off is 'clean and positive'. Never had the problem before or since.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Also Richard,  had the same issue as you know, and to stop it happening again, and this seems to work (Also on the 777 had gear disagree) was to change the panel state to short. On the 777 I made a custom panel state and stopped the gear problem as well.

Perhaps look at this for a possible cause - make sure your rotation at take off is 'clean and positive'. Never had the problem before or since.

I have done that too Greg, but gear still went up. I am sure it is panel state issue.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Why is it realistic to save your flight and panel state and start again from there? Do real pilots do this? Do they fly the same plane over and over again from airport to airport? I bet you also shut down completely. This may be done on the last flight of the night, but most pilots arrive to their aircraft in a short turnaround state. Why is it unrealistic to start a flight at a random gate (but one your airline uses) 30 minutes or so before your ETD in a short or almost short state? That's how it happens in real life.

Usually on a turn around where a crew change is taking place, the aircraft remains powered up on APU or GPU with a ground technician on hand. 'Cold and Dark' will only apply on very long turn-arounds or on the first flight of the day and then only at an airport where the airline has no technical support at that base - usually the ground engineers will be at the aircraft before the flight crew arrive and will have "woken" the aircraft up and have the APU running.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks guys, interesting input!

Personally I think the problem has something to do with the relation between the failure modelling in FSX vs the NGX. Can't say for sure I didn't let one side of the main gear touch the ground after t/o but I don't think so because I'm always equally careful during rotation as I am during landing. Might also be a panel state issue of some kind but I already use a custom panel state (Previous) saved automatically by FSUIPC.

As for the realism always starting up where the aircraft was last parked and using the same panel state of course like you say is not fully realistic when you think about it. However in my "virtual reality" it feels a bit odd starting up from a total new location I went to using the menus when I know I landed somewhere else on my last flight.

Richard Åsberg