Sign in to follow this  
ctiger

Another "FSX has stopped Working"

I removed all the V-one 737 files a few days ago, which included FSX\Gauges\dsd_fsx_xml_sound.gau but could not find the FSX:\Sound\segoepr.ttf. when I uninstalled the CS 737.

Carl, some addons will remove default FSX gauges when you uninstall them. Maybe you should try this if you dind't started re-install. 

It's gauge recovery tool, very simple to use. I can't find website to download without registering, so take mine :lol:   - https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p273fo2a0iih7f/Gauges_Recovery_FSX.zip

It can't do anything wrong, it will add default gauges only where something is missing. It cheks for default gauges and effects

No problem Carl - bet you learned a lot which is nice information for your future fsx endeavors  - We have all been there to tell you the truth I think you have done a fine job thru all of this, a lot was thrown at you from Guys with years of experience, take care.  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Zeljko

I gave it a try but same problem. I totally forgot about that software.

Well,I have decided it is time to call it quits and uninstall and reinstall. You guys have been great to put up with me and my problem for so long. At the rate we were going I might could have reached a 1,000 posts.

I do have two questions. Would installing FSX on new USB HD, work ok or should I just go ahead and use my C:drive? Also since I have so much payware such as orbx FXGlobal UT, REX,and FSgeneis. I do not plan to install GEX. Not sure what the priorities would be after acceleration. Any advice will be helpful.

I will probably get started sometime this weekend. For now I will just go ahead and enjoy FS9.

My best Regards to all,

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Zeljko

I gave it a try but same problem. I totally forgot about that software.

Well,I have decided it is time to call it quits and uninstall and reinstall. You guys have been great to put up with me and my problem for so long. At the rate we were going I might could have reached a 1,000 posts.

I do have two questions. Would installing FSX on new USB HD, work ok or should I just go ahead and use my C:drive? Also since I have so much payware such as orbx FXGlobal UT, REX,and FSgeneis. I do not plan to install GEX. Not sure what the priorities would be after acceleration. Any advice will be helpful.

I will probably get started sometime this weekend. For now I will just go ahead and enjoy FS9.

My best Regards to all,

I would not install on an external USB HDD.  There are still some issues with USB technology and sometimes a USB port will go dead for an unknown reason.  There's a post nearby here in the CTD forum where the individual had his FSX installed on an external USB drive and for some reason it went dead and when he restarted Windows 7, the drive was renamed by Windows 7 as it found new hardware.  That messed up his registry.  Install FSX on your main drive (an SSD is the best) and then place your large sceneries on your another HDD, external or internal.

FTX Global will replace your default textures so I would install that first.  I'm not sure about the other programs so will keep silent about the rest.

Sorry to hear you have to reinstall everything.  I save all of my e-mails from the developers with registration info, etc., in a folder in my e-mail program (Outlook) called FlightSim Software.  I just move the registration stuff over there so if I have to reinstall I have the info to reinstall at my fingertips.  Many flightsim developers keep all the info of every piece of software you bought from them on their website.  You just need to log in and get the registration info.  Better hurry up with the reinstall though as I think the PMDG 777 will be released shortly! :wink:

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Yes, I have all my emails printed out in a file drawer, which some go way back at the start of FSX. I have read that some folks re-install every 2 or 3 years anyway. This may work for my benefit since I need to get rid of a lot of stuff in FSX anyway. I can probably get rid of 50% of my payware aircraft since I never use them. I love the PMDG stuff but it is taxing on my machine. Of course I will probably buy it ,since it is a good hobby to try and tweak out as many frames as I can get with a sort of outdated machine. In fact this maybe a good time to talk my wife it letting me upgrade the computer.

Really thankful for AVSIM,

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

In fact this maybe a good time to talk my wife it letting me upgrade the computer.

Good luck with that!  I just upgraded to the Haswell system and only had to replace the MB, the CPU, and the video card.  I could have kept my old memory but upgraded that too.  I think it cost me about $1100.  Well, just remembered I had to buy another copy of Windows 7 too as the other one was OEM and couldn't be transferred.  So about $1300.

It's amazing you have kept your current installations of FSX and FSX addons for so long on one computer. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Sorry, I didn't try to mislead anyone about having all the FSX stuff on one computer for that length of time. I bought a new one about 3 years ago and was able to transfer a lot of the stuff over to the new one. Now this one is sort of out of date, but it sure does runs FS9 like the way you guys with the newer computers run FSX (?).

By the way as a last ditch effort I did try to repair with the Acceleration disk but no go.

Carl

Hi Carl,

In the event you gain permission to go to an updated system I have a recommendation that might save you the anguish of losing FSX again, or at least significantly reduce the chances of that.  If you should purchase an off-the-shelf computer look for one whose case provides front panel accessible easy access slip in SATA hard disk bays.  Or if you build your own system or have someone custom build for you find a CPU case that offers easy access bays.  Here is a link to an image that shows the principle.  Then below I will explain how you can benefit.

http://cdn.overclock.net/3/30/900x900px-LL-3068c477_GS1000_img05_01.jpeg

Connection slots for the SATA and power are built in at the back of the bay and receive the edge connections of the drive when it is mounted into the provided snap on cradle and slipped into place in the bay. 

My system is an off the shelf Gateway FX6860 gaming system that is about two years old.  My primary drive is internal and cabled.  But the system also has two of the easy access bays, easily accessible behind a door on the front panel. I purchased two additional drives that are exact matches for the drive that is cabled.  About once a month, or before I make any significant changes to my Windows or to FSX, I slide in one of the extra drives and use the Seagate Disc Wizard software supplied with the drives to clone my primary.  It makes a true clone that is fully bootable.  I use two of them in rotation.  So if anything happens, like the primary drive fails, I get a terminal virus or malware, or my system or FSX gets corrupted, I can simply put my last clone back into a bay and boot from it and be back up and running just that fast.  In fact, about three months ago I replaced the primary cabled drive (two years of use) with one of the clones that had little run time on it.  I now use that original once-cabled drive as one of the clones in my rotation.

This practice has salvaged my system once (from a faulty Windows Update) and has salvaged my FSX once.  Certainly well worth the time and grief saved.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

By the way as a last ditch effort I did try to repair with the Acceleration disk but no go.

I forgot to mention another excellent guide for setting up FSX once you reinstall it.  It's the new "bible" from NickN - http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html.

I still think you should try a complete repair as I mentioned earlier.  You just need to insert the 1st disk for FSX and click on repair.  It is important that you also run the Acceleration program too.  You can back up the folder where the fsx.cfg is located and the folder where the working scenery.cfg is located (C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX).  The repair will not mess with anything else you have installed but it will replace your fsx.cfg, your dll.xml, your exe.xml, and the working scenery.cfg.  If the repair is successful, you can return the scenery.cfg.  If FSX works properly, then replace the dll.xml.  If that works okay then you are good to go as you don't want to return your old fsx.cfg to a new install.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim,

I went ahead and started a complete uninstall around 12 noon. Maybe I should have tried a complete repair but I figured "go ahead and get started on the uninstall. Wow, I had no idea it would take so long to uninstall everything and I still have a little ways to go. I have cleaned out everything in the control panel except for UT-USA. It has taken over 2 hours just to uninstall the UT -Europe and Alaska. I am not sure how to delete or uninstall the Orbx stuff since it does not appear in the Control Panel. I have read on the forum that the ORbx folks did not provide an uninstall file or procedure. Maybe if I go ahead to the next step by uninstalling acceleration and then FSX and then delete all what is left in the FSX Main folder, that is if the registry will not be involved with UT and Orbx. ANy help in completing the uninstall process will appreciated.

Jim, I am using the PMDG procedures for the un and re-install, which has been most helpful.

I will start the install process tomorrow if I can figure out what to do about the Orbx scenery.

It sure wwould have been better to just install on a new computer. Maybe for Christmas..(lol)

Carl

I am not sure how to delete or uninstall the Orbx stuff since it does not appear in the Control Panel.

Hi carl, I think in order to uninstall most ORBX addons, you must enter FTX central. 

I went to the FTX Central. I thought they had an uninstall before I installed FTXG a few weeks ago. With the new Central I don't see an uninstall. There is a control panel for each of my sceneries but for each one it indicates control panel not found. Oh, oh this could be a problem.

Carl

Carl you are starting fresh right should not matter dont think it rights to the registry all you have to do is delete the whole fsx folder after you uninstall fsx - you have to use fsx disk 1 to uninstall fsx, make sure you go to your C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX delete the entire FSX folder --------- just this folder nothing else ok

CCleaner after all of this is recommended

Load service packs start fsx after each one and reboot after each one - get fsx running stable before adding things to it, follow these steps and you should be good to go.

Rich Sennett

Rich,

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing but not sure since I have had never had to uninstall FSX and then reinstall on same computer. So with that said it is time to delete acceleration and FSX and everything else outside of the main FSX folder as the PMDG suggested.

Carl

This is the great way to uninstall and reinstall FSX http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

If you don't use PC for something else, you can format everything and reinstall windows 7 too. If not, use CCleaner after uninstalling FSX like Rich suggested. 

This is the great place for windows 7 tuning http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/index.html