Sign in to follow this  
dravid kenyala

Go around, crabbing, crosswind landing, side slip techniques tutorial in video.

The sliding tyres have less grip.

And that's one reason why we have anti-skid on planes and ABS on cars.

I suppose the people at BOEING got it all wrong then ... damn

*roll*

Well they have made other mistakes before (747 cargo door comes to mind..............)

Call me a fool, tell me I have a lack of airmanship, whatever you like (really doesn't bother me) but I know what works in FSX with myself and I'll continue to do what's in limits and what I'm comfortable with. Many obviously don't agree - but stop acting like I've just been doing this in the real thing or something. 

Now back to flying...  B)

Call me a fool, tell me I have a lack of airmanship, whatever you like (really doesn't bother me) but I know what works in FSX with myself and I'll continue to do what's in limits and what I'm comfortable with. Many obviously don't agree - but stop acting like I've just been doing this in the real thing or something. 

It defiantly doesn't work as effective in FSX since the rudder is to sensitive I use about 1/2 authority or less, whatever straightens the nose out. I thought we were talking about real 777 landings here, and that's why you posted real world 777 videos. If we were talking about fsx this would have been over a long time ago :lol:  

And that's one reason why we have anti-skid on planes and ABS on cars.

You fail to appreciate exactly what it is ABS (or anti-skid) does for you. ABS does NOT increase grip and therefore the braking effort you can apply to a wheel - it merely prevents the available braking force exceeding the available grip and locking up the wheel.

The overall amount of grip available is still the same with or without ABS.

It still remains however that if you choose to drag your tyres sideways down the runway, instead of in the directrion of rotation of the wheels, you can NOT brake nearly as hard and stop nearly as quickly, thus you significantly increase the stopping distance required.

Best regards,

Robin.

Ehhhhhh...

While it's true ABS isn't meant to increase grip directly, it indirectly increases grip over the uneducated alternative.  Compared to locking the wheels and skidding, you're going to stop faster with ABS, so indirectly, yes, it increases grip simply through safeguarding you from skidding.  If you ask racing purists, though, they'll tell you that a driver can pull more performance out of the car without ABS, but that's because they get used to exactly where that breakpoint (as in, where the tires break grip from the road, not the point at which you must brake) is in varying conditions, and can push the car right up to that point.  In a plane, you really don't spend that much time in the braking regime to get a feel for right where the breakpoint is.

Beyond that, though, you're right.  At any time the tire is moving a vehicle in any direction other than straight forward, you're losing your max braking/accelerating potential.  To illustrate this, a lot of racing guys will show a traction circle, so I'll add it here for your all's viewing pleasure:

tractioncircle.jpg

I feel like you all should go read the manuals before asserting you know what's right or wrong.  YouTube is not a valid source, just like my video of unintentionally stress testing a poor Cessna should not be used as evidence of what a good landing sounds like...

Kyle Rodgers

You fail to appreciate exactly what it is ABS (or anti-skid) does for you. ABS does NOT increase grip and therefore the braking effort you can apply to a wheel - it merely prevents the available braking force exceeding the available grip and locking up the wheel.

The overall amount of grip available is still the same with or without ABS.

It still remains however that if you choose to drag your tyres sideways down the runway, instead of in the directrion of rotation of the wheels, you can NOT brake nearly as hard and stop nearly as quickly, thus you significantly increase the stopping distance required.

Best regards,

Robin.

I'm well aware that the main job of abs is to prevent wheel lock so that's why I referenced it to the skidding post.

Ahh I see... I mis-read your post as you implying that ABS increased grip.

Best regards,

Robin.

I'd be cautious about landing crabbed, despite what Boeing might say, one "OH F$#K, WE'RE GONNA HIT THE WING!!!" moment many years ago was enough for me to now always give the rudder a right wallop before touchdown when crabbed, but you live and learn.  :wacko:

Maybe Boeing have come up with a solution that works, but in my mind, it doesn't sit easy with my. I guess that's the benefit of this only being a sim, and that you get to try things you wouldn't try in real life...   ^_^

Regards,
Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I'd be cautious about landing crabbed, despite what Boeing might say, one "OH F$#K, WE'RE GONNA HIT THE WING!!!" moment many years ago was enough for me to now always give the rudder a right wallop before touchdown when crabbed, but you live and learn. 

Thought an MD80 was gonna bite it coming into DCA a little while ago for the same reason.  It was definitely one of those moments where I was standing there and made a cringing face and an associated noise, which ended up putting my friends on edge, apparently.  I then had to explain the whole concept to them, and why, exactly, I reacted the way I did.

Things like that always get a "you know, I love and hate flying commercially with you, because I know when you react to something, something's out of sorts..."

Kyle Rodgers

1% shear terror and all that, eh?  :P I don't think anyone minds flying with me as a passenger, but many of my friends and family have sworn never again to fly with me at the controls... Can't for the life of me think why...  :unknw:

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

awww you guys! don't make me go and grab the manual. This is from the 767, the older (and smaller) brother to the 777. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

If my memory is correct the 777 FCTM details three methods of landing in crosswind.

They explicitely detail the the landing in crab method, as well as this method of de-crabing during the flare, and one more that I don't remember, but that seemed when I read it more complicated than both previous one. 

So that is a different airplane than the 767, but I'm quite sure the 777 official FCTM I got from PMDG (bought the manuals set) talk about at least both the methods previously discussed so I would believe it's a pilot decision, depending probably on many factors.

"The airplane can land using crab only (zero sideslip) up to the landing crosswind guideline speeds."

This is what the B777 FCTM said, but it also said that "touchdown in a crab only condition is not recommended when landing on a dry runway in strong crosswinds. On very slippery runways, landing the airplane using crab only reduces drift toward the downwind side at touchdown"

So it is "not recommended" not "You can't do"

From B777 FCTM Chapter 6 Landing.

Chi-cheng Liu

LOGO.png