Regards

Paul EGCC UK

Regards

Paul EGCC

Just curious I guess I should know!

Thanks

Regards

Paul EGCC UK

Yes, the 777 is built at Paine Field (KPAE) in Everett, just north of Seattle. I know Boeing does a fair amount of testing at Moses Lake (KMWH), which is east of Seattle. Moses Lake has two intersecting runways that are both 10,000 feet long or greater, so it good for doing crosswind landings, etc.

A fair amount of test flights take place in and out of Boeing Field (KBFI) just south of Seattle.

Jon Skiffington

I took a tour of the plant last year and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Even my girlfriend, who isn't into planes, loved it!

Boeing won't let you take pictures inside the plant though. Words cant express how huge the inside of the building is. 747s looked like little toys parked inside.

If you are ever in the Seattle area, you HAVE to go.

Boeing won't let you take pictures inside the plant though.

:rolleyes:

Love it when people/companies get all upset about cameras...

I swear some people think they can reverse engineer products or steal souls instantly.

Kyle Rodgers

Are there any AFCAD's out there for KPAE with parking positions inside a hangar?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I swear some people think they can reverse engineer products or steal souls instantly.

That's probably part of it, though I imagine that camera flashes might be potentially distracting or even dangerous to the assembly line workers.

Andrew Jones

Are there any AFCAD's out there for KPAE with parking positions inside a hangar?

I've looked for ages, and no there isn't. I think the only scenery you can find that even models the Boeing ramp and hangars appropriately is ORBX's PNW. That has the bridge and everything. 

Also, I flew out of KPAE a couple weeks ago. Look at the photo I took! This was right in front of me on the ramp.

WP_20130817_009_zps2c96bb59.jpg

It's fuzzy (low light), but yeah, that's a Cathay 747-8F and an Air China 777-300ER waiting to be finished, tested, and delivered. There's a whole runway at Paine shut down because Boeing needed a place to put their unfinished 787s! Walking around that airport is unreal.

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

And it's not like the tour goes through the fuselage of a gutted 787 or anthing. I wasn't holding the bucking bar for the riveter. You're at the top of the building at least a 500 feet from the nearest worker. The worst damage the pictures could do is allow airbus to see Boeing's floorplan. :O

And then we get out of the hangar and there's a Dreamlifter on short final... No camera :(

Yes, I was upset.

As far as I understood it while taking the tour, the reason they don't permit cameras is that you're on catwalks that are suspended over the assembly line. The risk of a guest dropping their camera over the edge while getting that great shot and it injuring a worker or damaging an airplane is worth not permitting them. 

As far as I understood it while taking the tour, the reason they don't permit cameras is that you're on catwalks that are suspended over the assembly line. The risk of a guest dropping their camera over the edge while getting that great shot and it injuring a worker or damaging an airplane is worth not permitting them. 

Ah - didn't realize you'd be up on something like that.  That makes more sense.  Sorry, as a photographer myself, I get pretty defensive regarding the stigma associated with photography.

Kyle Rodgers

When did PMDG move to Seattle, or Everett, whatever?    Is Randazzo running for Governor of Washington?    This explains the delayed 777 release.