Sign in to follow this  
FurrMik

PMDG 747V2 Release date

Not sure why you'd even make a connection like that...

He was clearly addressing the questionable nature of the information they've posted regarding the 744v2...

Hi Kyle,

I was trying to illustrate the disparity in AirDailyX being likened to a trashy supermarket tabloid magazine, for surely a magazine is judged by its contents, the same way my article would be considered part of the content of AirDailyX.

Cheers,

Jerome

I was trying to illustrate the disparity in AirDailyX being likened to a trashy supermarket tabloid magazine, for surely a magazine is judged by its contents, the same way my article would be considered part of the content of AirDailyX.

I see what you're getting at, but take yourself out of the author shoes for a moment.

One of my favorite authors could write an article worthy of several awards for the National Enquirer, but you're not going to catch me dead reading it, sorry.

As a writer myself, I get that you could read some slight in what was said earlier, but again, regardless of what's written, if the content publisher is not acting properly, it can cast a negative light on everything else.

Publishing some random date for the 744 is pretty irresponsible.

Kyle Rodgers

If you find a nice travelouge in The Sun or Daily Mail, does it make it not trashy tabloid?

No.

If you find a nice travelouge in The Sun or Daily Mail, does it make it not trashy tabloid?

No.

Same signature banner and similar post content. haha...nice.

Kyle Rodgers

I see what you're getting at, but take yourself out of the author shoes for a moment.

One of my favorite authors could write an article worthy of several awards for the National Enquirer, but you're not going to catch me dead reading it, sorry.

As a writer myself, I get that you could read some slight in what was said earlier, but again, regardless of what's written, if the content publisher is not acting properly, it can cast a negative light on everything else.

Publishing some random date for the 744 is pretty irresponsible.

Hi Kyle,

Well by definition trashy would infer that AirDailyX is junk...rubbish. If Ryan thinks so, he's entitled to his opinion. As a major spokesperson and a key forum figure of PMDG, I would not have thought he would post something so totally derogatory, it seems rather unnecessary. 

Cheers,

Jerome

As a major spokesperson and a key forum figure of PMDG, I would not have thought he would post something so totally derogatory, it seems rather unnecessary. 

As said site posted something rather irresponsible (a release date - estimated or not - for a product they have no insight on), I'm not too surprised by his response.  Sure, it could've been more diplomatic, but it is what it is...

Kyle Rodgers

No.

Hi Peter,

Perhaps you would like to illustrate to all of us what exactly makes AirDailyX "trashy". Pretty much everything on that website is flightsim related, there are no unrelated adverts, nothing written about tummy tucks or any showbiz nonsense. Do a few guesstimated release dates make the whole website rubbish to you?

Cheers,

Jerome 

As said site posted something rather irresponsible (a release date - estimated or not - for a product they have no insight on), I'm not too surprised by his response.  Sure, it could've been more diplomatic, but it is what it is...

Hi Kyle,

Irresponsible in what sense? The billboard section clearly states that all dates are projected dates only. Seriously, so a projected release date merits something like Ryan's remark here......?

Cheers,

Jerome

Irresponsible in what sense? The billboard section clearly states that all dates are projected dates only. Seriously, so a projected release date merits something like Ryan's remark here......?

I'll put it this way:

As someone who is a writer and who produces other things for people to view or read, I try to be very careful about what I put out there.

PMDG is a company that has a very conspicuous stance on release dates:

They don't provide them.  It doesn't take much reading to figure that one out.

If I were to rebroadcast any information regarding their future products, I would only reiterate this stance through the information I provide.  Providing a date, even an approximate date is irresponsible because it then gives the impression that there is some target date from PMDG.  The reader begins to think that - regardless of the disclaimer of projected dates - the information must have come from somewhere official.

Responsible use of information is somewhat of a more ethical grey area, so you're welcome to say what I'm saying is subjective, but the fact remains that the site is providing "information" that is not official, and really has no basis or source.  Many would consider that to be an irresponsible provision of information because it's put off as relevant to something they have no information about.

It's really akin to me putting information up on my blog, YouTube channel, and potentially here, stating a projected cost of the next iPhone before that information is actually released.  It only serves to misguide the readers/viewers, unless by some random coincidence, it ends up being correct.

...and that is irresponsible.

Kyle Rodgers

I am sorry, but how is estimating a release date on a flightsim product irresponsible in your view? Does it bring the world to an end? Get back to reality, please!

If we would be talking about a tabloid putting a story on the front page that the POTUS has been shot, or that HSBC or Citibank is on verge of collapse, that would be irresponsible. We are talking about a flightsim addon for ***** sake. 

One major rule about media in the free world: Every nation and every community gets the media it deserves.

So if the one of the most accurate and informative blogs about flightsim on the web is  a trashy tabloid as said by mr. PMDG, that actually tells a lot about mr. PMDG and his customers.

I have been involved with Flightsim in the past, and have just come back after three years where I had no time for flightsim because I was bizzy doing real flying.

Coming back, I am amazed by the total lack of customer friendliness of most developers. At ORBX, they are arrogant pricks as they showed in the whole FTXG-DX10 debacle. Every bug report at FSDreamteams' is always approached with the greatest scepticism and mr. Virtuali is never at fault. And now this from PMDG, it all amazes me.

I have spent thousands of euro's on flight simulator software during the last ten years. I have bought sceneries I only visited once, just to try. I have bought planes that only left my virtual hangar once. I used to buy addons from certain developers, just to support future development.

I would be willing to spend the 90USD on the 777, however I would most likely never fly it. But for now, I have given up. Screw this.

Erik

EDIT: Come to think of it: I am going to announce the imminent release of the 747 v2 on my Facebook and G+ streams. Lets see if the world comes to an end. It just feels so good to act irresponsible now and then. It's just like drunk driving. Oh, wait..

I am sorry, but how is estimating a release date on a flightsim product irresponsible in your view? Does it bring the world to an end? Get back to reality, please!

If we would be talking about a tabloid putting a story on the front page that the POTUS has been shot, or that HSBC or Citibank is on verge of collapse, that would be irresponsible. We are talking about a flightsim addon for ***** sake. 

See my above post.  Information is information.  Granted, some of it is clearly more dire than others, but putting up false (or even unverifiable) information is irresponsible, regardless of the setting.  It only serves to misguide others.  Since people clearly get worked up about release dates (the 777 forum prior to its release being a prime example), then it clearly has an effect on people.  You don't even need to read too many of the threads around that time to see people really wanted to find out when it would release.  This information had the potential to make people very happy or very upset.  As such, providing false information regarding it would have an effect, whether you choose to acknowledge that or not, it's a fact.

Just because it's in a subject you don't find to be important doesn't mean that hosting false/unverifiable information is okay.

One major rule about media in the free world: Every nation and every community gets the media it deserves.

Hmm...clearly you haven't been educated on the limitations of free speech, even in the "free world."  I suggest you have a gander at the limitations on the matter.  Essentially, there's a limit on free speech that could be considered harmful.

That release date could make those who have read it very angry at PMDG if, after November, we still don't have a 744.  They could then get really upset about it not being out and generate a lot of negative publicity about it, which could harm PMDG's reputation.  Of course, this would be really difficult to prove in court, but let's be honest here:

There's a lot in the world that's legal, even though it's not quite right.

So if the one of the most accurate and informative blogs about flightsim on the web is  a trashy tabloid as said by mr. PMDG, that actually tells a lot about mr. PMDG and his customers.

Clearly facts aren't your strong point.  Since when is Ryan "Mr. PMDG?"

I have been involved with Flightsim in the past, and have just come back after three years where I had no time for flightsim because I was bizzy doing real flying.

Coming back, I am amazed by the total lack of customer friendliness of most developers. At ORBX, they are arrogant pricks as they showed in the whole FTXG-DX10 debacle. Every bug report at FSDreamteams' is always approached with the greatest scepticism and mr. Virtuali is never at fault. And now this from PMDG, it all amazes me.

I find this whole section funny because you're calling people unfriendly, and then you spout some pretty unfriendly remarks about all of them.

Clearly you've also never worked a help desk.  In helping people, you develop quite a skeptical side as the vast majority of issues out there are caused by the end user.

I have spent thousands of euro's on flight simulator software during the last ten years. I have bought sceneries I only visited once, just to try. I have bought planes that only left my virtual hangar once. I used to buy addons from certain developers, just to support future development.

Okay...?

I would be willing to spend the 90USD on the 777, however I would most likely never fly it. But for now, I have given up. Screw this.

So you're making a decision based on a thread about a separate aircraft, after getting upset about something that's entirely unrelated...

Sound judgment.

Kyle Rodgers

Blah blah blah

Ryan had a dig at AirDailyX by saying they spout unverified rubbish (I paraphrase). So your response, as a contributor to AirDailyX, is to go and prove his point?

Bravo. *Slow clap*

Ah, nice, we're getting personal after the first post already. Must mean my post made some sense.

Hmm...clearly you haven't been educated on the limitations of free speech, even in the "free world."  I suggest you have a gander at the limitations on the matter.  Essentially, there's a limit on free speech that could be considered harmful

Ey, ey, easy on the guy who has a bachelor in journalism. (yep, that's me)

This is not about free speech. It is about the free market. You get what you deserve. Offer meets demand. You know, the basic stuff. It goes for cars, airplanes, but also for newspapers and other media.

That release date could make those who have read it very angry at PMDG if, after November, we still don't have a 744.  They could then get really upset about it not being out and generate a lot of negative publicity about it, which could harm PMDG's reputation.  Of course, this would be really difficult to prove in court, but let's be honest here:
There's a lot in the world that's legal, even though it's not quite right.

In which case PMDG could say: We never published any delivery date on said project, and refrain from further comment. That is how you deal with trashy tabloids. You don't actually call them that. Because they have customers who might be offended, and that might be your customers as well.

Clearly facts aren't your strong point.  Since when is Ryan "Mr. PMDG?"

Since he is in the DEV-team as said by his signature? I just wanted to make clear that as a part of the PMDG company, anything he says in public (especially with the signature attached) is seen as official PMDG messaging. 

I find this whole section funny because you're calling people unfriendly, and then you spout some pretty unfriendly remarks about all of them.

Yeah, because they are not my customers. I, however, am one of theirs and expect to be treated as such.

Clearly you've also never worked a help desk.  In helping people, you develop quite a skeptical side as the vast majority of issues out there are caused by the end user.

I know, but that doesn't mean you should lose basic skills when it comes to customer treatment. They are still your customer. Whatever kind of moron they may be. If you offend them, you may offend many others as well. Especially when you are so stupid to do it on a public forum.

So you're making a decision based on a thread about a separate aircraft, after getting upset about something that's entirely unrelated...

It has been building up over the last weeks. AirDailyX played a big part in getting updated on the latest flightsim developments in the last few weeks, as I tried to catch up with what happened the last three years.  Just getting back into all the flight-sim-stuff and I am amazed every day by what happens in the forums. It stops me from buying. Important reason of spending money on flightsimulator addons was contributing something to the community. Coming back to that community, I more and more ask myself if a. I want to be part of it and b. if I want to spend money keeping it alive. 

Erik

Ryan had a dig at AirDailyX by saying they spout unverified rubbish (I paraphrase). So your response, as a contributor to AirDailyX, is to go and prove his point?

Bravo. *Slow clap*

I am not a contributor to AirDailyX, where did you get that from?

Ey, ey, easy on the guy who has a bachelor in journalism. (yep, that's me)

Then you should be familiar with the terms and its associated ill effects, but you appear not to be.  I have a degree in city planning (that's the simple version of the explanation anyway), but that doesn't mean I paid attention in class, or would be a good city planner.

For the record: I suck at Sim City...

This is not about free speech. It is about the free market. You get what you deserve. Offer meets demand. You know, the basic stuff. It goes for cars, airplanes, but also for newspapers and other media.

It really is.  You're going off on a tangent here that really has no bearing on the discussion of information responsibility.  Sure, any information may sell, but it doesn't make it right.  Again, anyone who paid any attention in an ethics class (something that's pretty standard in higher education nowadays) would know this.

In which case PMDG could say: We never published any delivery date on said project, and refrain from further comment. That is how you deal with trashy tabloids. You don't actually call them that. Because they have customers who might be offended, and that might be your customers as well.

Sure.  As I mentioned, it certainly wasn't diplomatic, but it wasn't entirely inaccurate.  I'd be a little upset, too, if I had people coming in here citing some random source getting upset about information provided by that source that had no basis in reality.

Since he is in the DEV-team as said by his signature? I just wanted to make clear that as a part of the PMDG company, anything he says in public (especially with the signature attached) is seen as official PMDG messaging. 

True.  I was assuming you were implying he was the company head or something.  Either way, people are making it a much larger deal than it really is.

Yeah, because they are not my customers. I, however, am one of theirs and expect to be treated as such.

haha - wow.  That's the most backwards statement I've ever heard.

I deserve to be treated graciously, but not you.  No, I don't need to respond in kind at all, because I paid you for a product, and you are now indebted to me with your graciousness.

...lemme know how that works for you interpersonally and in your business transactions.

I find it funny that you're up beating the drum of the idea that one needs to be careful about how they phrase things in your above points, but when it comes to you, you're free and clear.

I know, but that doesn't mean you should lose basic skills when it comes to customer treatment. They are still your customer. Whatever kind of moron they may be. If you offend them, you may offend many others as well. Especially when you are so stupid to do it on a public forum.

Again, funny given your above points.

And this is a semi-public forum.  I'm sure your journalism degree should've covered that as well...

It has been building up over the last weeks. AirDailyX played a big part in getting updated on the latest flightsim developments in the last few weeks, as I tried to catch up with what happened the last three years.  Just getting back into all the flight-sim-stuff and I am amazed every day by what happens in the forums. It stops me from buying. Important reason of spending money on flightsimulator addons was contributing something to the community. Coming back to that community, I more and more ask myself if a. I want to be part of it and b. if I want to spend money keeping it alive. 

So your idea of giving back to the community is that it's okay to give back false information?

...but heaven help you if you get upset at someone for hosting that false information...

I'm blown away by the posts here.

Kyle Rodgers

EDIT: For the record, I think once you have a website that a community visits frequently to gain knowledge and insight, then you have a responsibility to make sure that the information you're releasing is actually accurate and based in facts, not your own pipe-dream guesses. 

So basically this is where we're at:

One side is saying ADX has the freedom to post whatever they (he) want.

Which only translates that PMDG, or any affiliates/representatives/employees also have that right.

There's alot of people suffering from butt-hurt and thin skin, it seems.

And if someone is going to tell me that some of those "projected release dates" aren't pipe dreams, then please, show me the facts to back up these educated guesses. For each one. Some may be fairly accurate, but you should be prepared and willing to back up your claims.