Sign in to follow this  
maukro_1990

PMDG 777-200LR Fuel planner!

A-Pilot - just wanted to drop a note to say a big thanks for the heads up regarding www.simbrief.com - i'm checking it out right now and will definitely be using it.

Richard

I'm not so sure that the FMC can actually calculate the fuel needed for a flight in the 777.  Maybe you can set me straight here.

So the PROG page is just taking shots in the dark as to what amount of fuel it's just guesstimating you're going to land with?

Nope.  You gotta give it a lot more credit than that.  There's more number crunching in that thing than any fuel planner you're going to find in the flight sim realm short of PFPX or similar.  In the real world, the dispatcher's software is running the same performance code that's being run in the FMS of the plane...

If I'm incorrect in this let me know but this is what I've seen in the past couple flights flown in the 777.

The FMC can certainly do it just fine. Absent a planner like PFPX, it's better than most of the free stuff out there.  There have been a couple posts with fuel discrepancies, though, so it's not so much that the FMC is inherently accurate and cannot be used; it's that there's some issue that needs to be chased down.

So, yes, in general, the FMC is just fine for the calculation.

Currently and to this product, specifically, given the reports people have been making, it might not be as accurate as it should be (or something else behind the scenes that needs to be chased down).

Kyle Rodgers

So, yes, in general, the FMC is just fine for the calculation.

If you input cruise winds. Otherwise it's zero-wind calcs. Maybe that's the discrepency?

If you input cruise winds. Otherwise it's zero-wind calcs. Maybe that's the discrepency?

That's what I thought, but if you look at his post, he mentions that he included the wind at the end of the post.

Kyle Rodgers

If you use the FMC for fuel planning make sure you input as much wind information as you can for the route and it will be even more accurate. I used it all the time in the ngx before PFPX and it worked great. The longer the flight the more critical it is that you give it wind information especially it you have headwinds.

That's what I thought, but if you look at his post, he mentions that he included the wind at the end of the post.

Hm, I'll have to play around with that, but I've seen pretty good results on the NGX and 777 when inputting winds in the CDU.

If you use the FMC for fuel planning make sure you input as much wind information as you can for the route and it will be even more accurate. I used it all the time in the ngx before PFPX and it worked great. The longer the flight the more critical it is that you give it wind information especially it you have headwinds.

I was wondering how finely the winds data was entered, especially with a cross-continental jetstream in the way. But I havent' used the FMC to do fuel planning often, I go with FSBuild with ActiveSky exported winds for the most part.

My error, the 777 tutorial doesn't have the discussion. It was the NGX I was recalling. Oh well, after 3000 pages of documentation this is bound to happen.

Dan Downs KCRP

Is PFPX really good for fuel planning etc? I´ve got FSC 9.3 and i´m really happy with it. Maybe someone will create an really good fuel planner especially for the PMDG T7, like someone did this for the NGX. It would be so awesome.

How come that PMDG 777 MTOW (348.7) is more than in PFPX 347.815 (347.8).

Boeing says on their official website the T7 has a MTOW of 347,450 kg. Why they are different?

Check FCOM vol 1 limitations, there are varying weights for each variant.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks. I will take a look at it. And maybe this time more closely.

disapointing that the 777 is not including a fuel planner! airbus x does and its great. considering I paid 90 bucks for the T7 I am demanding a fuel planner!

Lukas Dalton

disapointing that the 777 is not including a fuel planner! airbus x does and its great. considering I paid 90 bucks for the T7 I am demanding a fuel planner!

+1