Sign in to follow this  
Remys

PFPX and WIND DATA

FYI

OpusFSX have already implemented the wind data file for 777. It creates one for your FP if the dir PMDG/WX exists automaticly and you have entered a FP into Opus.

Just press Request in the T7s FMC. No need for any manual work.

Best weather I have ever had, all other weather engines are deleted from my system. No problems at all for me with it and the T7.

/Per W

Sweden

Per W Sweden

FYI

OpusFSX have already implemented the wind data file for 777. It creates one for your FP if the dir PMDG/WX exists automaticly and you have entered a FP into Opus.

Best weather I have ever had, all other weather engines are deleted from my system. No problems at all for me with it and the T7.

/Per W

Sweden

great, but does it inject new weather info into the WX whenever there is a change in the flight, so it reflects in the FMC the changes? or just a one time file? thank you

Perfectly clear Remy, I've understood weel but was not sure, this is the same "problem" I got with MD11 long haul, last I took from EHAM-SAEZ I've this problem and know what you mean regarding winds aloft data. Especially for long haul.

But only PMDG 777 has this feature to import .wx file? not NGX/MD11 correct?

If you want I can contact PFPX's author and ask specifically to insert "your desidered" function.

already done so, but an additional request might show the customer interest in this feature.

good ahead mate ;)

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Btw guys, in real life the global winds aloft predictions are only updated once every 6 hours - it isn't realistic to sit there constantly refreshing the wind request every time your weather program does a METAR update or whatever. There's usually an ACARS message that crews get from dispatch telling them to refresh it when the new dataset comes out.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

As Ryan is saying, no need to update the whole time. GRIB data from NOAA that Opus uses is not updated very often. Not sure how often but I can check with them at their forum.

One more thing is that if you have PFPX and OpusFSX they both use the same data source, NOAA. So the forecast in PFPX match up with what you get in FSX from Opus.

So far it have been almost spot on for me. Even when FSX drifts a little sometimes but after an update from Opus it is back on track.

One thing they did in the latest Beta with T7 is to turn off time compression(Auto Cruise) during weather updates. FSX might not be updated properly if it runs in eg. x4

during an weather update. When it is done it sets back T7s Auto Cruise to what it was.

You also get two apps in one. Cameras and weather.

/Per W

Sweden

Per W Sweden

Sorry for repeat my question, but this feature to import .wx winds aloft in fmc is available only for 777?

Woulb be very appreciated in ngx and md11 too, is there a way to make it works w/o importing wind data manually?

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

One thing they did in the latest Beta with T7 is to turn off time compression(Auto Cruise) during weather updates. FSX might not be updated properly if it runs in eg. x4

during an weather update. When it is done it sets back T7s Auto Cruise to what it was.

I was wondering about this the other day.

The 77L routinely flies for more than half a day; when planning for winds aloft, how does flight planning software (RW and PFPX, both interest me) handle this? Does it look at the forcast winds for each waypoint at the expect time the aicraft will reach that point, or do upper winds not change that much over say a 12 hour period, therefore just use current information?

I flew a 14 hr flight using acceleration last week and the winds weren't as forecast. I wasn't sure whether they would have been correct had I flown the flight in real time.

The 77L routinely flies for more than half a day; when planning for winds aloft, how does flight planning software (RW and PFPX, both interest me) handle this? Does it look at the forcast winds for each waypoint at the expect time the aicraft will reach that point, or do upper winds not change that much over say a 12 hour period, therefore just use current information?

I flew a 14 hr flight using acceleration last week and the winds weren't as forecast. I wasn't sure whether they would have been correct had I flown the flight in real time.

I think it depends on how often NOAA updates the GRIB data they use. It is better if you ask the developers directly, they for sure know things like this.

But I think GRIB(high level winds) are just forecasts that is valid for many hours, exact how many I am not sure of. And when NOAA updates it what happens!?

No idea. I do think that Opus downloads new GRIB when they come and use it. PFPX should also do that.

What weather engine are you using?

Opus downloads direct from NOAA everytime it needs some.

Ask here,

OpusFSX:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/opus-software_forum49.html

PFPX:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/forum/592-pfpx-professional-flight-planner-x/

/Per W

Sweden

Per W Sweden

Maybe this answer it, read post #3. It is from the programmer of PFPX:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/73359-forecast-weather-and-its-impact-on-long-flights/

-Per

Per W Sweden

Btw guys, in real life the global winds aloft predictions are only updated once every 6 hours - it isn't realistic to sit there constantly refreshing the wind request every time your weather program does a METAR update or whatever. There's usually an ACARS message that crews get from dispatch telling them to refresh it when the new dataset comes out.

Thanks for this interesting tidbit.  Ever since the PMDG 747, I have had a compulsion to update the winds in the FMC every half hour or so.  Granted this is much easier to do now in the 777 with the copy paste function, but it sure was a data entry nightmare depending on the aircraft.  I welcome this advice, as it gets quite much sometimes, and I was always curious about the time schedule real crews use when updating the winds.

When you say the winds aloft are only updated every 6 hours, are you referring to the "source" weather data in real life being updated every 6 hours, or the FMC data in the legs page?   If this refers to the FMC winds, you are talking about the 777lr or other long haul aircraft right?  This can't possibly be true for flights less than 6 hours.  How about the NG?

FYI

/Per W

Sweden

does it have a menu to let you listen to the opus ATIS REport. I subscribed to AOA Training and the ATIS report is the most realistic ever, but no one is answering to tell me where did they get the ATIS audio info from (I  mean software) thanks

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

Opus does not have any ATIS. Radarcontact have it, I have that one. Or it might be the new ATC, PRO-ATC. Or maybe VOXAtc.

If I hear it I might recognize it. I have not yet subscribed to the AOA training.

Or Maybe they just use a real recorded ATIS in the movie.

Is there any kind of console window somewhere on the screen in the training videos.

Or text strip at the top.

A screendump might help to figure out what they are using.

/Per

Sweden

Per W Sweden

As per PFPX 1.08 you can upload the .wx file to the B777!

yes IT DOESSS :)... just tried it. but i wonder where pfpx is getting the weather info from if active sky is not running and the default weather settings are set to the active sky directory,(same as picture) where is it getting the wind info from?  interesting for me to know  :)

because i got wind aloft but didnt figure out the source

Remy Sarkis

BAW1031

UAE1525

As per PFPX 1.08 you can upload the .wx file to the B777!

I updated and was using PFPX earlier and didn't notice it until you said it.. so thanks! B)

yes IT DOESSS :)... just tried it. but i wonder where pfpx is getting the weather info from if active sky is not running and the default weather settings are set to the active sky directory,(same as picture) where is it getting the wind info from?  interesting for me to know  :)

because i got wind aloft but didnt figure out the source

attachicon.gifWX.jpg

It depends on what weather settings you are using in PFPX.  If you are using Active Sky than it has to be pulling the wind data from the weather log file that was last downloaded the last time you ran your weather program.  PFPX can only do its planning with the latest downloaded weather data it has available (which would be the last time you ran the weather program).  If you have real world weather selected as the source than it should be pulling the latest from the servers.

I plan my routes in advance and then re-download the latest weather and re-run the route in PFPX to ensure I have the latest weather and forecasts for planning before I do each flight.