Sign in to follow this  
moey124

how will u enter this route in fmc

Maggi3 doesn't have altitudes. It's merely a lateral arrival. Altitudes will be given by ATC.

Program the ILS or RNAV approach and that will have the crossing altitudes. VNAV will adjust to meet those restrictions.

Justin whetstone

Maggi3 doesn't have altitudes. It's merely a lateral arrival. Altitudes will be given by ATC. Program the ILS or RNAV approach and that will have the crossing altitudes. VNAV will adjust to meet those restrictions. Justin whetstone

so if I click ILS 08 and which star I should connect it to? or it will just take me to the waypoint which GS is? I am trying to understand?

I'm assuming you are in America and filed the MAGGI3 arrival into your actual flightplan.

There's only one STAR you can pick due to this.

MAGGI3

Anything else isn't what youfiled.

So lets say you have a runway 08 and 26. Wind is 100@5kts or something. Choose runway 08.

IF the STAR is an RNAV arrival, then MAGGI3 should be able to connect to the ILS runway 08.

If it isn't, then it may be a STAR requiring some radar vectors from ATC.

Decided to look at where MAGGI3 exists this time. PHNL..

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/HNL/STAR/MAGGI+THREE/pdf

Select APP/DEP
Select ARR PHNL

Select MAGGI3 from the left side

Select DENNS transition from the left side

Select ILS 08L from the Right side

I'm guessing it wants a transition, so look at the chart.

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/HNL/IAP/ILS+RWY+08L/pdf

I'd pick BOOKE transition, unless CKH is available. if CKH is available, then we don't have to think much anymore, the whole sequence links up. If CKH isn't an available approach transition then we will need the BOOKE transition.

Go to legs page, step through the waypoints, 

Between CKH and BOOKE should be a "Discontinuity" of -----

This is a 'gap' between waypoints. CKH doesn't join directly to BOOKE.

If you are flying online with online ATC on Vatsim, you'd leave this discontinuity. Once you reach CKH you will continue straight ahead till the Honululu Approach controller tells you to turn.

If you are offline without online ATC, join the gap. Use Heading select if required, don't expect the aircraft to do a turn on a dime. Try to 'square off' a circuit if possible. You want to end up intercepting a nice shallow turn angle to SELIC and be at 3000ft or so when you get to SELIC.

Just do the tutorial flight a couple of times, it covers all the basics. At least read the damn thing if you really don't want to fly it.

yep... my sqwak box is freezing my fsx.. I don't know whats the problem.. within 20 mins it freezes it... is there a solution for this problem?

Don't launch SquawkBox from the FSX drop down menus (the Add-Ons menu in the program).

Launch it from the Start Menu.

so if I click ILS 08 and which star I should connect it to? or it will just take me to the waypoint which GS is? I am trying to understand?

Sounds like you're turning yourself into a Magenta Tracker.  Don't.

The magenta line does not need to be unbroken.  It can have breaks in it.  That's fine.  Leave them.  Those are places where ATC will provide vectors.  If you don't have ATC, use HDG SEL to fly you toward your first point after the the vector leg (or any unconnected leg), and then when the controller says "proceed direct [FIX]," line select the FIX and place it at the top of the LEGS page.  EXEC.  On your way...

IF the STAR is an RNAV arrival, then MAGGI3 should be able to connect to the ILS runway 08.

Not often the case up here in the land of Eagles and Apple Pie.  We just gotta be difficult like that...

What you're describing is a little more representative of Europe, and perhaps OZ (I have no idea, but I know you're from down there, so I figured that's why you mentioned it like that).

Kyle Rodgers

Not often the case up here in the land of Eagles and Apple Pie.  We just gotta be difficult like that...

What you're describing is a little more representative of Europe, and perhaps OZ (I have no idea, but I know you're from down there, so I figured that's why you mentioned it like that).

The word "If" was there ;)

On looking at the chart though, the STAR stops at a VOR and doesn't continue on to any final or downwind positions..

Here in Australia we have all kinds of fun, from STARs that literally finish at Localizer intercept

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/MMLSR05-135.pdf

Others that pop you off on a downwind with a vector from ATC after passing the discontinuity

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/SSYSR05-130.pdf

Some that lead to a visual approach where you won't get vectors, but have to look out that window and move the yoke around

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/BCGSR02-133.pdf

Some airports with NO STARs, and you fly directly into a procedure from overhead an NDB or into an RNAV approach fix (and with 737's and 717's flying around class G, broadcasting on CTAF and doing 70 knots faster than the single prop pistons also heading there)

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/AYENB02-135.pdf

And there's even Perth, which defies all sense. Not even gonna try to explain that one.

Moral of the story... look at some charts and read the words on them too, before you start mashing buttons on the FMC :P

No, he's not.

When I say "You're in America" I don't mean "Your PC is plugged into a power supply and ISP located in America" I mean "The approach procedure you are trying to use is for an Airport in the United States of America, and not South America, The Carribbean, Asia, Australia, Europe or Africa. Yes I know there's no sea between Europe and Asia.

PHNL is America for my intents and purposes, as is the MAGGI3 arrival that goes there. As the OP is asking about.

The fact that I didn't actually look up the chart and was dealing in broad generalizations for my previous replies not withstanding.

The word "If" was there ;)

I saw it.  The RNAV doesn't mean OPD, or drop-onto-the-runway, though.

RNAV here just means that it's using some sort of area navigation like GPS, IRU, or some mixture of that.  I know that in many other places, RNAV use also coincides with some path onto an approach, but not here (in most cases).

Here's an example:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1309/05100BARIN.PDF

The "target" between STAYO and TRING is IAD.  None of that RNAV STAR gets anywhere remotely near a fix that's in line with any of the 7 LOCs at the facility.

And there's even Perth, which defies all sense. Not even gonna try to explain that one.

bahahaha - looks like I'm going to have to do some investigating.  I just got some Orbx stuff for down there, so I'll have to check the scenery and lack of sense.

Kyle Rodgers

I saw it.  The RNAV doesn't mean OPD, or drop-onto-the-runway, though.

RNAV here just means that it's using some sort of area navigation like GPS, IRU, or some mixture of that.  I know that in many other places, RNAV use also coincides with some path onto an approach, but not here (in most cases).

Here's an example:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1309/05100BARIN.PDF

The "target" between STAYO and TRING is IAD.  None of that RNAV STAR gets anywhere remotely near a fix that's in line with any of the 7 LOCs at the facility.

bahahaha - looks like I'm going to have to do some investigating.  I just got some Orbx stuff for down there, so I'll have to check the scenery and lack of sense.

Good point...

The runways in Perth are perfectly normal, just 2 crossing.

The STAR and airway structure on the other hand...

Inbound from the Eastern states there's something like 5 airways which get  used depending on wind.

Not all STAR's are available for all airways.

Most STARs can lead you to 2 of the available 4 approaches.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but the southern most airway (used from Melbourne if there's heavy headwinds further north) used to connect to only one STAR that could only lead to one runway, and if you were going to use any of the other 3 runways you would need to be cleared direct to another waypoint and then pick up the STAR from there, meanwhile joining the stream of traffic from Adelaide and Sydney.

Perth unfortunatley doesn't have any good Orbx scenery (just landclass updates), but there's a freeware available of OZx

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/2092-perth-airport/

OZx also carries a large addon scenery that contains many good regional airports

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1825-ozx-au-complete-ozx-na-complete-ozx-libraries/ Quite a good collection to fly the JS41 around. Fits with the FTX stuff deliberatley.

Perth unfortunatley doesn't have any good Orbx scenery (just landclass updates), but there's a freeware available of OZx
http://aussiex.org/f...-perth-airport/

OZx also carries a large addon scenery that contains many good regional airports
http://aussiex.org/f...-ozx-libraries/ Quite a good collection to fly the JS41 around. Fits with the FTX stuff deliberatley.

Cool - I'll check it out!

Kyle Rodgers

Hope you got it sorted, but this is extremely fundamental

I'm not trying to be rude or anything but if you don't even know how the routing system works its a waste of $90 to be honest - however, you're the guy who knows what he wants to do at the end of the day, and if its making you happy, then why not? Safe flights, speedy learning, maybe we will catch up in the virtual skies some time B)

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Personally I think too much of a deal is made about which STAR connects to which runway approach. If it is that disjointed ATC will intervene, and if it is an uncontrolled airport, well, the onus is upon the pilot to figure it out (unless the chart explictly states what to do). I don't really understand what the big deal is, as long your altitude and speed are not crazy.

If I have to drag my jet around at 160 kts so I have good maneuvering margin (read: able to make tight turns), so be it.

I had a look at Perth, and fail to see what the big deal is (unless I'm missing something significant, like a bloody great mountain). I see it is tight to the NW due to restricted airspace, and there are limitations on flying to the east in Cat. C/D aircraft but otherwise looks OK??? You can of course take up the hold if you need to.

Best regards,

Robin.

Personally I think too much of a deal is made about which STAR connects to which runway approach. If it is that disjointed ATC will intervene, and if it is an uncontrolled airport, well, the onus is upon the pilot to figure it out (unless the chart explictly states what to do). I don't really understand what the big deal is, as long your altitude and speed are not crazy.

Magenta lines must go from departure to destination and the plane must be able to land itself at the end.

...always.

(No)

Kyle Rodgers

Magenta lines must go from departure to destination and the plane must be able to land itself at the end.

...always.

(No)

Sadly, I think the computer has replaced the ability to think.

Best regards,

Robin.