Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

Best FSX addons

I have UT2 and can show 100% traffic without noticing FSP hits at KLAX and other airports. 

I have UT2 and can show 100% traffic without noticing FSP hits at KLAX and other airports. 

You're a good example of what I posted earlier: Just because performance with a product is bad on my computer, it does not mean it is that way on every computer.

It sounds like the textures from Rex are better than AS so does the Rex weather engine do a good enough job or is AS better in that regard which is why I would need both?

You're most likely right:REX's textures are said to be better than AS's (which I can not really confirm, I have used AS textures before I bought REX, but I did not pay too much attention - but I can say I like what REX does, and it's so much more than only sky and clouds!), and AS is said to have a better weather enging than REX, but again, I can't really confirm (or deny) that.

Setting up either is rather simple and self-explanatory, if you use REX for textures and AS for weather, you just need to make sure that the option to use AS cloud textures is not active.

You're a good example of what I posted earlier: Just because performance with a product is bad on my computer, it does not mean it is that way on every computer.

You're most likely right:REX's textures are said to be better than AS's (which I can not really confirm, I have used AS textures before I bought REX, but I did not pay too much attention - but I can say I like what REX does, and it's so much more than only sky and clouds!), and AS is said to have a better weather enging than REX, but again, I can't really confirm (or deny) that.

Setting up either is rather simple and self-explanatory, if you use REX for textures and AS for weather, you just need to make sure that the option to use AS cloud textures is not active.

I guess it comes down to is the weather engine in AS that much better than REX and does that make it worth it? I am not exactly sure how important all the weather data is to me I just want the clouds and stuff to look the best while flying. I guess the other question is what makes AS weather engine better than REXs?

Since I am able to record flights I was wondering how people are getting the "wing window" views? Is that something they are making themselves like with ezdok or does it come with the given aircraft they are flying?

Thought of another question. I know that FS2crew and FScaptain come with a set of "cabin announcements" that can be played but I am wondering if there is a way to get airline specific announcements within either of those programs?

Thought of another question. I know that FS2crew and FScaptain come with a set of "cabin announcements" that can be played but I am wondering if there is a way to get airline specific announcements within either of those programs?

I have both and have not noticed that ability. Actually sometimes I run both programs at once and have two sets of announcements. 

I have both and have not noticed that ability. Actually sometimes I run both programs at once and have two sets of announcements. 

I am very happy to know that both programs can be run at the same time. I was still not totally sure about that. Will certainly get both now. Also is there cabin noise as well? Like passengers talking and stuff?

I am very happy to know that both programs can be run at the same time. I was still not totally sure about that. Will certainly get both now. Also is there cabin noise as well? Like passengers talking and stuff?

During boarding/deboarding. 

I figure I might as well get a couple GA planes also. Is there another company besides carenado that make good GA planes or is carenado the best?

I figure I might as well get a couple GA planes also. Is there another company besides carenado that make good GA planes or is carenado the best?

I was also looking for some ga planes ...

what I've heard carenado is eyecandy without much depth (system and flight)

if you want eyecandy with realistic flightdynamics and systems there are 2 which I want to buy next:

a2a simulations c172 trainer

realair duke b60 version 2.0

there are many other out there but those are I think the 2 latest and they really good.

with the reality xp gns 430/530 it should be great < gps system which integrates into the plane by default and much better than the fsx stock.

but money is tight and buying those 2 planes + gps would cost me too much for now (~$300: gns430+530+unlimited+2aircrafts) ... maybe for christmas.

edit:

if you want to be cheap get just 1 plane and either the gns430 or gns530 (i would go gns530 because of the bigger screen)

the rest can wait somehow ...

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

I'll give you my list of add-ons, but only ones that I have used over the years:

AI Traffic:

1. MyTraffic Pro 5.4c - as others have said, both its schedules and liveries are updated on a regular basis and the support is excellent. It trades off somewhat lower resolution AI planes in exchange for not wrecking your FPS too much around big airports. It works with both P3d and FSX.

2. Traffic 360 - It's barely acceptable and somewhat buggy.

Weather:

1. (Tie) FSGRW and Opus FSX. In addition to weather, Opus gives you live weather maps and live camera control. Both are P3d and FSX compliant. Both have outstanding support and are regularly updated.

2. REX - Just a hair under 1st place, but in addition it also provides water and cloud textures. It works with both FSX and P3d (for a small additional fee).

In this category, I would probably wait for the reviews of Active Sky Next when it is released.

Land Class:

I have several UTX regions, but the author says it is not licensed for use it with P3d, so that could be a major problem going forward. It's still a lot better than than the default FSX LC. Personally I would wait for ORBX's Open Land Class regions. FTX OpenLC Europe will be out the door very soon. North America will probably be next to roll out. FTX Global Vector, which replaces the rest of what UTX provides is also due to be released soon.

Terrain:

The default mesh in FSX and P3d is fine for me. If you want local regions, FTX Regions are sensational (I have USA PNW), if a little hard on the FPS.

Cloud and Water Textures:

1. REX - It has the best clouds.

2. FEX - Just a step below REX and it is only licensed for FSX, although nowhere does it say that you can't use it for P3d

Scenery Textures:

1. FTX Global - Hands down a major improvement for both FSX and P3d. It covers the entire globe.

2. Megascenery Earth - Do you like photoreal? This is excellent, but then you lose almost all of your autogen. That's a big loss if you fly any low altitude VFR.

3. GEX - It's better than the stock FSX textures, but to buy the whole globe is expensive. It also has code to stop you from using it with P3d.

Miscellaneous:

1. TrackIR - It's hardware, but it is the one single item that you can buy (other than 2 extra monitors) that will do the most to improve realism in any flight sim. It's what the MS Kinect should have been.

2. FSUIPC - If you want to go Windows 8, then it's mandatory if you want to use a joystick.

3. DX10 Fixer - A must if you want to run FSX in DX10 mode.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I am an FSBuild junkie, and have used it for the longest time and it has become like an old friend. Others like PFPX have stepped up to the mantle with better graphics and more features, but FSBuild has remained for me the best tool for flight planning once you get past its quirky user interface. :rolleyes:

More great information thank you. Right now my list of stuff to get is this.

FTX Global

FS Global 2010

My traffic 5.4

Rex Weather/Active sky next cause it looks really awesome so I might just end up getting both.

FSUIPC

Radar Contact 4

PMDG 737

FS2crew- which version though I am not exactly sure on which to get for the NGX.

DX10 fix

EZdok

Xtreme fsx pc

Hi Sportsfan23,

You'll need to purchase an AIRAC cycle and make sure to download an individual data set for each of your items that use an AIRAC database, e.g. the 737, and get them all on the same month.

Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com