Sign in to follow this  

Scotland better than England?

Hei Geoffrey!

I haven't tried FTX EU England yet (it's installed, but I'm testing Scotland for now), but I think you might have hit the nail on the head. America and Australia works very well because the scenery is mostly wilderness. England as you say is all about the cultural landscape.

Norway is a combination of natural beauty and rural settlements. The latter is very hard to recreate with landclass (I know after handcrafting landclass for several large regions of Norway). You need custom vectors, which is impossible to do for a whole country, unless you have some sort of data that can be converted.

I'd say that the ORBX European scenery has had a rough start. Some whining is always a result of people not understanding the technology and what can realistically be delivered (You can't expect a whole country in Earth Simulations quality - and even ES scenery has flaws (like use of repetative default autogen)), but some complaints are surely justified. Leaving out regional capital towns like Kirkwall and Lerwick, and covering the Shetlands in trees, are mistakes that can and should be rectified. A beta tester with some knowledge of Scotland should have seen this for sure.  

Who knows why the EU scenery isn't up to the quality of Australia and PNW/Alaska, but hopefully ORBX will release some patches for Scotland soon. I'm just glad I didn't go for Wales and Northern Ireland as well, because as of now FTX Europe seems to be a light version of the prior ORBX regions.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Jeroen,

You did nothing but fly PNW, you loved the hills and mountains and you love having your auto gen set to max. Norway sounds just the same, all mountains etc. So you not liking England I can understand because it is flat.

Scotland is far more to your liking very wild open area with a lot of mountains. Is it better than England, for you and from what I know of what you like, yes you would like it a lot more. Or why not go back to PNW?

cheers

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

This sparks another question from me. What is England like in FTXG. I know us English do nothing but complain about the weather but England EU to my eye always looked like a really dull lifeless day.

Scotland is far more to your liking very wild open area with a lot of mountains. Is it better than England, for you and from what I know of what you like, yes you would like it a lot more. Or why not go back to PNW?

Well, while almost everyone was very happy with PNW, I still hear complaints about Scotland... Hence my doubt. And concerning going back to PNW (or getting SAK): I found out that I really like to fly close to home or at least in my part of the planet. And if possible in places I've actually visited. I think it has to do with realism. I am flying the C172R now and I like it because it's a plane I could fly in real life. Flying in places that are closer to home makes things also more realistic as in 'possible I'd do that in real life'. I also like it that the weather is like I know it and often close to what I see out of the window. So going back to PNW or buying SAK just doesn't appeal to me right now.  ^_^

Totally agree with you that's why I fly the UK 80% of the time.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip