Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Steve, IMPORTANT...please read... and acknowledge

Well, that shows I am not a gambling guy... ^_^

Everyone has their own reasons to go for DX10 or not, of course. One of the main reasons, apart from slightly better performance, are the VC shadows. They really add something to the sim. But if you like DX9 more and this has helped you to improve performance, then that's great. But I simply would not advice people to buy the addon specifically for this until at least a few others have confirmed it really works. But that's just me. ^_^

Oh sure...each person has to do their due diligence. My job, though as I saw it, was to make this known to the community, and then let them run with it, as they see fit.  The fact that at least two other members have also verified that they are getting DX10 FPS performance with DX9 running also with Bloom, as far as I am concerned, is case closed.  I now know for myself, and that is enough, that this DX Hybrid (my term) CAN be reproduced on a system other than mine, the original claimant. Whether a person will go with that, with at least two others stating they also reproduced 30 FPS with Bloom on, where before, their system would not play ball...or whether some persons need a legion of thousands confirming this anomaly, again, it is what placates the reader's comfort zone.  I'm not going to post any more on this, as there is quite enough in thread real estate to give someone an understanding of what is being claimed here.  If someone asks me a question, or wishes a clarification, I will be more than happy to help in any way that I can.  The bottom line though, is that I have hit the FSX Jackpot...and it's working full force at my end.  Ending note...where before this discovery/anomaly, if I so much as sneezed too hard near FSX running it would CTD and OOM.  NOW?.....I can't get FSX to crash and burn, let alone plain quit...for the life of me.  I spent over an hour last night throwing everything but the kitchen sink (maybe I should have....) at it, to make it CTD, or OOM as a burn-in test of my 'new DX9 driven FSX.  Could I?  NOPE!  Rock, flamin' solid....  It's going to stay that way...and finally...years later after purchase, I got a flight sim, that behaves itself, and acts like a flight sim...not some spoiled love-child!!!!   No matter how anybody else uses, or keeps FSX, let us all just enjoy this great hobby.  I know that I will. That I had to give up one feature (VC shadows) was small change, to finally realize in the massive benefits, the whole FSX sim-wide. It was a good trade! It was...a very, good trade!

Oh, one final thought,...

It was sort of dumb of me...(in after thought) that I would expect Steve to show himself anywhere within this thread.  To do so, would have some feel he was accrediting this anomaly...and if anybody could not reproduce it, would feel that they were misled by the developer. He will never show himself on this thread. You, the reader needs to make any decision to buy, or not buy, to believe, or not believe independent of any comment(s) from the developer. Why? 'cause it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, that's why, lol.  I should have known better, when I made that request in the topic header...

He wrote a program that addresses DX10, and not to empower DX9.  That it does...(I claim, not him...) is an Easter Egg Supreme.

Back to flying....what FSX now does best... :)

Mitch

A quick one from me: while using DX10 fixer along with your N.I. settings I got a steady 26 FPS at Zurich (FSDT scenery) with UT2 2013 traffic. Nice. However, switching back with only deleting the multisampling entries in the FSX.cfg brought my FPS on the same airport down to 17. This is worse than it was before using the fixer. For me, it seems not to be that easy to have the same FPS with DX10 and DX9 after using the fixer. With me, it is also related to the bloom setting, which I can simply not use without loosing quiet some FPS. However, I will try some additional stuff, I did not have the affinitymask entry before as well as I did not have the bufferpools fix. Probably it improves if I get rid of those again.

However, I am not 100% convinced by the DX10 display of FSX, mainly because the anisotropic filtering and antialiasing is far from the quality I have in DX9. Especially AI traffic textures look like there is no AA or AF active, while I get them smoothed with the very same N.I. settings in DX9. In addition, there are still some flickering textures here and there with DX10, which I do not have in DX9.

Verdict: it seems to be really only on certain systems, where using the DX10 fixer results in a strange "no FPS loss" phenomenon if bloom is activated. Keep on testing now...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

However, I am not 100% convinced by the DX10 display of FSX, mainly because the anisotropic filtering and antialiasing is far from the quality I have in DX9. Especially AI traffic textures look like there is no AA or AF active, while I get them smoothed with the very same N.I. settings in DX9. In addition, there are still some flickering textures here and there with DX10, which I do not have in DX9.

Read this:

forum.avsim.net/topic/421674-dx10-and-fsaa-some-personal-observations/

Oh, one final thought,...

It was sort of dumb of me...(in after thought) that I would expect Steve to show himself anywhere within this thread.  To do so, would have some feel he was accrediting this anomaly...and if anybody could not reproduce it, would feel that they were misled by the developer. He will never show himself on this thread. You, the reader needs to make any decision to buy, or not buy, to believe, or not believe independent of any comment(s) from the developer. Why? 'cause it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, that's why, lol.  I should have known better, when I made that request in the topic header...

He wrote a program that addresses DX10, and not to empower DX9.  That it does...(I claim, not him...) is an Easter Egg Supreme.

Back to flying....what FSX now does best... :)

Mitch

Mitch, this post is perhaps a little melodramatic, don't you think? I'm sure Steve will answer if his DX 10 fixer is having any effect in due course.

Now on to my results, I'm afraid I tried your settings as closely as possible and was unable to recreate the results, DX9 was as it ever is and DX10 reigned supreme! I personally suspect that your little boon is down to a coincidental change on your system.

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I'm guessing that the reason that Steve is not answering is that nothing that he did to improve the DX10 shader code has any bearing on these "improvements" on the DX9 side of things. On the other hand, the DX10 fixer does make minor changes to FSx.cfg, which are not entirely reversed when a user goes back to DX9 mode. Further, there have been some advocates for this app on AVSim who have given a lot of good advice about changes that one could make with NI and to FSX.cfg. Although these changes are designed to work under DX10, they might also make things better under DX9.

Mitch, this post is perhaps a little melodramatic, don't you think? I'm sure Steve will answer if his DX 10 fixer is having any effect in due course.

Now on to my results, I'm afraid I tried your settings as closely as possible and was unable to recreate the results, DX9 was as it ever is and DX10 reigned supreme! I personally suspect that your little boon is down to a coincidental change on your system.

I suspect that it will have to be tried, and that on some systems, this back door will open.  On others as you say on yours, no joy.  At least, you are having a good session with DX10, and a good session, no matter how it is achieved, is what matters in the long run....

I suspect that it will have to be tried

It might help if you say HOW this has to be tried because I haven't seen a clear explanation yet. If we knew exactly which steps to take, then it would be easy to test it.

I am delighted that Mitch is happy.

I see no possible connection between DX10 changes and DX9! They are about as separate as its possible to be.

if I so much as sneezed too hard near FSX running it would CTD and OOM.

This is not normal. Mitch I remember a while back when you were complaining that you couldn't fly more than 30 minutes without an OOM or CTD. And I thought, he must be flying the PMDG NGX with ridiculous LOD and texture size and cloud distance, scenery loaded, etc; basically everything people do that they shouldn't that causes OOMS. And then you dropped the bombshell that you were flying Carenado GA, specifically the F33 Bonanza. Carenado aircraft, especially older releases like the F33, use very little resources or vas. There is no situation, NO situation, besides loading a TON of scenery you're not flying near in the scenery library, that would exhaust 4gb of vas in the Carenado F33. I tried to tell you then that something was seriously wrong with your FSX to be crashing, OOM exhaustion. The length of flight does not cause an OOM. Loading new scenery as you fly, sure, that can contribute, but only when loading addons, like airports or photoscenery, not general repeating textures(FTXG or GEX or even Orbx regions). And FSX does offload unused memory as you move along, maybe not as efficiently as it should, but it does. I've done several 10+ hour flights in the PMDG 777X, over ocean, over europe, over asia, FTXG, UTX, photoscenery, payware airports,on vatsim with a lot of traffic, and NO OOMS or CTD's. And that's with a seriously heavy vas addon. I've had ooms here and there sure, but only with PMDG NGX and trying to push a lot of AI traffic at large payware airports. Something was wrong with your FSX. I think something in the DX10 Fixer corrected it, and now you're able to enjoy FSX like the rest of us.

You have a pretty good computer. 30fps in a light aircraft like the F33A is not difficult to achieve even with high LOD, bloom, etc. I'm doing a flight right now, DX9, Carenado 208 (old release), megasceneryearth Georgia, bloom & flare(as a test, don't normally run it), 8xS AA, 4x sgss. Unlimited fps in FSX, locked 60 NI, and maintaining 40-60 in the VC. I just took off from a small GA airport, 2.4gb vas remaining.

I'm glad your FSX is running great. The DX10 Fixer "fixed" something that allows you to enjoy it like the rest of us. But like Steve said, there is no DX9 "hybrid".

I am delighted that Mitch is happy.

I see no possible connection between DX10 changes and DX9! They are about as separate as its possible to be.

Hi Steve, the only thing between normal DX9 performance in my system, and the powerhouse that DX9 is now, the only event was the installation and use of your software. So I have no other plausible 'explanation' to account for this phenomena. My FSX installation is fixed in all my complaint areas, and am ecstatic because of that fact.If you state that it could not have been due to use of your program, then I will stand down, and grow silent in this claim, and just enjoy my good fortune.Thanks again for your research into making DX10 viable. I benefitted it seems on two DX fronts

Mitch

Mitch, this post is perhaps a little melodramatic, don't you think?

have you not read any of his other posts in the forum, par for the course, LOL.

Best, Michael

KDFW

have you not read any of his other posts in the forum, par for the course, LOL.[/quot

...and of course,I don't have to contribute at all, but just read posts, hang out,and fly my sims. It takes less energy, and allows more time to fly...yeah, sounds like a plan. Cheers!

Here are some additional observations from my side: as it is now somehow clear that simply clicking on DX10 enable/disable in the switcher in fact decreases the FPS I have in my FSX build, I started to play around. What I found so far is: it is still greatly related to the FSX.cfg. My FSX.cfg for my DX9 setup did not have any freaky tweaks in it anymore thanks to Nicks guide over at simforums.com, so I removed "affinitymask", "bufferpools" and all this rubbish, ending up in a stead 30FPS for most scenes. Zurich, full AI Traffic and inside the VC of QWSim Avro RJ100, I still got around 20 FPS in a perfectly smooth manner. And now? Simply using the DX10 fixer decreased FPS in this specific scenario by half, no chance for a smooth flight. Simply adding again "affinitymask" and "bufferpools" again to the FSX.cfg brought my FPS back to where I was in DX9. However, there are now new problems coming up: VC in the QWSim Avro, no chance, still around 10 FPS instead of the 20 with DX9. That's strange and I hope that I can find some solutions over at their forums for this.

Other observations: as mentioned, some AI Traffic lights still do not show up or are simply to faint. As I have almost all of my AI using the 3D shockwave lights, this is not a big deal for me. Same goes for other addons: Carenado Cessna 172N: lights are coloured, shine-through squares. Converting to shockwave lights and problem is gone. Furthermore, I still detect white objects from time to time, like cargo crates on certain airports etc.

Verdict: DX10 Fixer does a hell of a job and really fixes many things and it is POSSIBLE that you get a really smooth FSX with slightly increased settings compared to DX9. But it DOES NOT fix the DX9 experience. There are, at least on my build, still several adjustments to be made when switching from DX10 back to DX9 (or vice versa) to have the same FPS (and smooth experience) with both API's.

BTW: @J van E: thank you for your link, using "Sparse Grid Supersampling 8x" as you recommend, my flickering is 99% gone and also the AI traffic textures look nice now.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS