Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Unrecoverable freeze

Has anyone encountered this problem where FSX just freezes/hangs and it can't be recovered? I only have this sometimes with the 777. Not when I follow "normal" procedures though. It mostly happens when I let's say do a pattern, land, taxi, turn around, reset the aircraft, and it just hangs on takeoff for example. It also happens when watching replays. In other words, if you do anything out of the ordinary there's a chance it will hang. This does not happen in the NGX, and I made this sure by doing over 20 flights before the 777 was out.

If someone were to ask me in private; I'd say that the 777 is unstable or unreliable -I'm saving in progress flights, that's something that would rarely cross my mind while in the NGX. 

note: I've not been aggressive in changing 'my settings' to accommodate the 777 for commercial service.

That sounds weird.. Out of the ordinary?

Well, the 777 shouldn't care whether its flown by the book or random.

I've personally not experienced any problems with using replays and doing small turns

Perhaps you can save the flight (I conclude by your post that its possible for you to replicate the crash) and share it with e.g dropbox?

Ken

The 777 is just as reliable as the 737 on my system - and im sure on many other systems too.

My system is quite like yours. I too have a i5 2500k - 4.5 though and a 560Ti. Would you care to post your cfg file?

Yesterday I just experienced a black screen freeze after turning final in the 777 on a flight from KCMH to KLAX. I saw the thread that the game may recover, however when I woke up today it was still frozen, I did notice that it froze the instant I changed views from VC to tower by mistake, leading me to believe that that may be part of the cause.

Yesterday I just experienced a black screen freeze after turning final in the 777 on a flight from KCMH to KLAX. I saw the thread that the game may recover, however when I woke up today it was still frozen, I did notice that it froze the instant I changed views from VC to tower by mistake, leading me to believe that that may be part of the cause.

The tower view is known to cause such problems.. However I have only read examples of recoverable freezes of the instruments

From the PMDG intro manual pp. 0.00.30

"When flying over the ocean, there is a bug in FSX that can cause the displays to freeze in place. It happens as a result of passing through the “Tower” view preset when outside of the range of any suitable actual tower. Flip back between the “Cockpit” and “Virtual Cockpit” views and it should clear. To avoid this, don’t use the A and S keys to cycle through views, use the right click menu to select them directly."

I'm having this freeze problem quite a bit. The issue is know to PMDG and Ryan stated in another thread they are trying to find out the root cause. No joy as yet. 

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

From another thread that was asking about the status of SP1:

It's going to be a bit still. The long pauses/freezes are actually the major issue and we're still trying to figure out how they're happening. We've reproduced it a few times in the debugger, but none of the code that gets stuck in a loop when it happens is from the 777, (it's FSX and Windows dlls) so we're trying to figure out how that's possible.

If someone were to ask me in private; I'd say that the 777 is unstable or unreliable -I'm saving in progress flights, that's something that would rarely cross my mind while in the NGX.

Ken

I think you read the horror stories in this forum too much. I know I do. I have over 250 uneventfull hours in the T7 but I still expect it to fly apart at any moment.

Michael Cubine

I've experienced two freezes, but different from everyone else's. At the point of rotation my fsx freezes. Eventually the screen greys out and even if I wait over an hour the flight never recovers and eventually I end up closing FSX and restarting as no error mesage ever appears! :( This happened in two different airports, Incheon and Cologne and am yet to find more but it's something very recent so will continue to monitor this.

JJ

Edit 18:09

Ok, I have had another of these and maybe it isn't at the point of rotation I have noticed this time it was at 79Kts. Is there an 80kts speed call out causing this maybe?

Ok, I have had another of these and maybe it isn't at the point of rotation I have noticed this time it was at 79Kts. Is there an 80kts speed call out causing this maybe?

Hmmm. If there is you may want to try updating your sound drivers. I've read several times that outdated sound drivers can wreak havoc with complicated planes. 

Yet another freeze in EGNX once again at 79kts while accelerating down the runway! it really is infuriating I can't even get off the ground!!! New install, UKscenery, AES, GSX, 4Bg ram 2.6Ghz, quad. doing my head in!!!

I'm having the same issue. After take off, always in cruise the sim will freeze. I have no option to cycle views . The only way out is to ctrl-alt-delete and ending the program. The task manager reveals that FSX is not responding. It's ruining the whole experience. This only started after installing the 777.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I have had a few freezes with the 777, so one day I flew the Q400 for a bit of a break and that froze too.

That said I'm getting freezes on the 777 flying more than other flying, and usually in the middle of the Atlantic ocean where there's no scenery but horizon to horizon sea.

Most other freezes I get with other aircraft seem to be in dense scenery areas with addon scenery in view such as Orbx YMML/YMEN/YMAV/YMMB/YLIL OZx YMPC/YGLG/YTYB all high quality addon scenery inside 30nm. or EGLL/EGKK/EGLC/EGSS/FTX england etc.

Here's hoping Cross the Pond works tonight...

Yeah, I should've pointed out that I do run lots of AI at big airports, LOD of 6.5, REX -with 2048 clouds, and lots of trees with very aggressive FSX config settings. The NGX can take it 'while in flight' but the T7 can take a dump on me from time to time. On the ground: the t7 performs just like I would expect the NGX to perform.

I have not had any problems with the T7 or the NGX on the first initial flight (KIAH-TNCM). NOW, I have noticed/observed that if I do not reselect the (the same or different) aircraft in FSX before another flight (TNCM-KIAH) the NGX and T7 will freeze during flight. It will not recover and I would have to restart FSX. I cannot fly 2 legs continuously back to back without switching/selecting an aircraft without locking up.