Sign in to follow this  
StormVR6

Why is FTX quality not what it was?

Hello all,

Finally a sensible discussion which has not degenerated into another Orbx bashing exercise or JV hanging :)

Let me just make a few very succinct responses and leave it at that......

Thank you, John. 

You didn't need to give your input in this thread, but it's appreciated nonetheless.

Look, most of the guys here know what Orbx is all about - high quality scenery at a good price - and most here also know that you yourself would not have been entirely happy with how the EU regions looked upon release. Without going into the ins and outs of it, I would think you were left in a financial position where your hands were tied and the debut Orbx UK region had to be released. And a pre-Christmas release is understandable, although I'm inclined to believe that this decision actually had a detrimental effect in the long run. This is basically why I started this thread, John; to enquire of others and hopefully discover what people really think of Orbx at this present time, in a mature, civilised discussion.

The unfortunate thing you have to remember, John, is that the disappointment over England (as well as Wales, NI and even Scotland for some) is ongoing. It's not a boring episode of Coronation Street or a terrible Star Wars film, it's not even a substandard computer game, these can be watched/played once, deplored and then quickly forgotten. Unless I reject England and Wales, forget the £50 I've lost and then spend more on something else, then every time I fly over these FTX countries I'm constantly reminded that they're not as good as FTX AUS, NA and NZ. And yes, like some diplomatic folk have suggested, I should be grateful, but why should I? Why should I be grateful that Orbx have released outstanding representations of Australia, North America, Canada and New Zealand but then dropped the ball when it came to the UK? We're not talking about a goodhearted gesture that backfired from a mate, or a cake my mum baked that tasted awful, both can be offered gratitude for their good intentions. For many, we're talking a serious hobby, one that lots of people are passionate about and spend time and money on, some too much!

"Orbx is trying to take over" or "Orbx wants you to only run FTX" are loose comments dotted about the net and since the release of Global these kinds of comments are increasingly abundant. But do you know what? I'd love that! I fly FTX and only FTX, I love the consummate ease that comes with FTX; install it, run it. And if Orbx ever manage (and the release of Global has brought this closer) to truly allow an 'FTX ON' switch, thus negating FTX Central, then I will be a very happy man. The amount of times I've run FSX, chosen my flight, waited for it to load and then realised I hadn't set the correct region in FTX Central, is too many! But seriously, those that simply say to my argument, "if you don't like it, then don't use it", are missing the point. I want to use FTX exclusively and I don't think I'm the only one. So when my FTX world consists of amazing scenery to fly my GA over, it's irritating when the fly in the ointment is so noticeable.   

P.S. Oh, and John, be honest, you wouldn't have let this thread run in your forums, would you?  ^_^

I think that it would be really appreciated if Orbx went back to those regions and put some more work on them to fix most problems and bring them closer to the quality of other regions. Because right now they stick out like a sore thumb compared to their previous work.

But nevertheless, the ORBX EU Regions are still a huge improvement over the default scenery. The only remotely similar product out there is Flight1's Ultimate Terrain X Europe  and Ground Environment X Europe. But if you're a FTX Global user this combo is useless. So at the end of the day, I'll take FTX EU England and the lot any day for as long as there is nothing better. Not top shelf quality, but quite usable nontheless.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

But nevertheless, the ORBX EU Regions are still a huge improvement over the default scenery. The only remotely similar product out there is Flight1's Ultimate Terrain X Europe  and Ground Environment X Europe. But if you're a FTX Global user this combo is useless. So at the end of the day, I'll take FTX EU England and the lot any day for as long as there is nothing better. Not top shelf quality, but quite usable nontheless.

Exactly.

And as such it is quite some value for our hard-earned money.

Would like to add no one is obliged to buy the very next ORBX title, either: No obligations, no subscriptions.

We're all allowed to judge on a per-product basis.

And:

Weren't it the guys of Sim720 who did that impressive FTX SCO?!?

Rather than hiring skilled developers, John Venema chose the cheaper route, as skilled developers would have been much more expensive. The old philosophy, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys, is very valid here and the FS community's disappointment in FTX England is proof of that.

Unless you're privy to the terms of ORBX + Sim720's contracts, which you're not, how can you comment on what ORBX paid for the agreed regions?  Also, I'm pretty certain that the Sim720 guys would be more than a little insulted by your comparison.

I think that it would be really appreciated if Orbx went back to those regions and put some more work on them to fix most problems and bring them closer to the quality of other regions. Because right now they stick out like a sore thumb compared to their previous work.

Appreciated is an understatement, CB, I'd be ecstatic. If Mr Venema was serious about taking the likes of EU ENG and making it equal to the likes of PNW and Australia in terms of overall quality, then I'd pay for such an upgrade. Yes, inevitably there'd be the "why should I pay anymore for a better version of the same thing?" camp, but then the same could be said about Carenado's stuff. I'd gladly be part of a survey to see just how many would actually pay for a high quality FTX EU, I'd even give my money up front.

Look at how successful the Kickstarter and Steam's 'Early Access' schemes are. So, why not Orbx? John is often commenting on less than decent sales of this and that, so why not gauge interest from what customers are willing to pay for, before they get it?

Yep. :)

Appreciated is an understatement, CB, I'd be ecstatic. If Mr Venema was serious about taking the likes of EU ENG and making it equal to the likes of PNW and Australia in terms of overall quality, then I'd pay for such an upgrade. Yes, inevitably there'd be the "why should I pay anymore for a better version of the same thing?" camp, but then the same could be said about Carenado's stuff. I'd gladly be part of a survey to see just how many would actually pay for a high quality FTX EU, I'd even give my money up front.

Look at how successful the Kickstarter and Steam's 'Early Access' schemes are. So, why not Orbx? John is often commenting on less than decent sales of this and that, so why not gauge interest from what customers are willing to pay for, before they get it?

They could easily make an EU England v2 and have an upgrade price for those who already own the first version.

Well, as a new 720 customer, I have to say I really like Caernarfon. Blends in great with GenX. Skipped on Oban as I use Scotflights complete coverage.

Looking forward to future UK/Eire releases.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Do the trees and texture in FSGlobal look as good (or better) as the best textures in Orbx's best looking region (whichever region that may be)?

I know the airports and regions are more varied and detailed, but I mean if you just compare texture to texture and trees to trees in one instance.

Currently I only own Central Rockies, PNW Demo, Pacific Fjords, and a few airports. So far out of the three, I think Central Rockies looks the best but I haven't flown the others that much. The new Bozeman airport is pretty nice simply because it is bigger than most of Orbx's other US airports they did. Landing on tiny strips in a jet is good practice I suppose, but not realistic to a real-life attempted landing...

So would anybody buy Orbx South Norway when released, probably not. Not when you only get half of it.

Why not? South Alaska is not all of Alaska yet it is an outstanding enough scenery that many people, including myself, bought it.

When Northern California is released I will be one of the first purchasers even though Southern California is not on their agenda as of now.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

So would anybody buy Orbx South Norway when released, probably not. Not when you only get half of it.

Why not? South Alaska is not all of Alaska yet it is an outstanding enough scenery that many people, including myself, bought it.

(...)

SAK neighbours other FTX regions which works out as an attractive expansion of "ORBX land".

Between Southern Norway and the FTX U.K. there is no other scenery (just water). So the expansion argument could apply here, too. Furthermore, Norway brings the New Zealand fjords to Europe.

Could sell rather well, I reckon.

I think it would sell rather well indeed.  I'd buy it.

It's only 314 miles from Aberdeen to Stavanger; an easy Cessna 172 flight on a good weather day.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I'm not so interested in an Orbx Norway (lower half) package, maybe the entire area.  Currently I have the amazing freeware that is out there and it does me just fine.

But, it seems that I have been waiting two years for Northern California.  I will buy it for sure as it connects with the entire west coast lot of sceneries that runs all the way to Alaska.  A huge flying area, with fantastic scenery.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I am also eagerly awaiting Northern California.  It was on the schedule for October release.  So maybe soon?

Noel

I am also eagerly awaiting Northern California.  It was on the schedule for October release.  So maybe soon?

Noel

Hello Noel

According to the November 2013 Product Roadmap, NCA Northern California is scheduled for December.

Cheers.