Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

New Card released! AMD R9 290X. Good news for fans of both companies!

I'm not sure how it managed but was getting around 25-30 FPS in cockpit view with PMDG 737 NGX, FTX Australia and REX + Overdrive, with EZDOK and GSX on the ground. I did overclock my i3570K to 4.6GHz though. Pretty stable, no crashes.

Does anyone have the Gigabyte N760OC-4GD GTX PCI-E card? I assume it will drive 3 screens via Surround?

You have been running 3 screens on a sub $200 video card? How did that do for you? Any card is going to be a huge upgrade! You're going to love it.

Charles.

What a vague, irrelevant post.

If any of you are wanting to get your hands on one of these, I suggest you wait a couple of weeks until Black Friday. You never know if sites like Amazon, Newegg, or WalMart will have crazy deals or not.

Well now.... Here we just had the release of the NON-X 290 at $400 while matching the GTX780 in performance. If SKU's are on the shelves for it by Black Friday (End of November), We are going to be seeing GTX 780 sku's under $500 from companies like EVGA.

I predict $449 for the GTX780. The 780 cannot possibly stay above $500 when the R9 290 is $399. :)

I cannot imagine how I would be feeling right now had I bought the 780 a month ago at $649. Kinda ###### actually. I have never seen this large a drop in pricing this fast in all my years in the GPU world.

The GTX780ti will not be able to remain at $699 and stay relevant for long. By end of December, I bet it will be $599. And Titan customers. I am so sorry. I mean. Wow. just wow.

Buckle your seatbelts, put your trays in the upright position and observe the no smoking sign. Were going for a ride.  

Charles. 

Thinking about ordering a 290 or 780ti.

I think both will take anything you throw at them.

Too bad fsx doesn't like crossfire/sli, else I would get me the mighty asus ares. (Kinda like 2 290's on one card. Liquid cooled out of the box,)

it annihilates titan and others

I am planning on getting the R7 260x 2GB which is around 250 USD here in India. My current card which is a HD 7750 2GB DDR3 with the updated CCC is almost rocking FSX. so If I buy the 260x I will not need to change my CPU and the card is so cheap :). The reason being my loads are showing up more on the GPU rather than the CPU. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I will get myself an R9 290X next week. :)

Why not wait for the aftermarket boards? Better coolers.

C.

I am planning on getting the R7 260x 2GB which is around 250 USD here in India. My current card which is a HD 7750 2GB DDR3 with the updated CCC is almost rocking FSX. so If I buy the 260x I will not need to change my CPU and the card is so cheap :). The reason being my loads are showing up more on the GPU rather than the CPU. 

It's a rebranded 7790 just so you know. Why so expensive there? Should be $140 US. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R7_260X/

You might be happier in an R9 270X. About 30% more powerful.

Charles.

I'm going to wait for the inevitable further price reduction on a GTX 780 I think.

My 570 is getting a bit long in the tooth anyway....

Why not wait for the aftermarket boards? Better coolers.

C.

Cuz The cooling issues have been solved, and once the liquid block is out, that's the way i'll go.

Cuz The cooling issues have been solved, and once the liquid block is out, that's the way i'll go.

Roger that. Waterblock = no worries. :)

Default Cooler is a tick loud. Not as loud as say.... GTX480 but you can hear it. I would run it in Quiet mode till you get that waterblock installed. :)

Charles.

I'm going to wait for the inevitable further price reduction on a GTX 780 I think.

My 570 is getting a bit long in the tooth anyway....

I just want P3D to get V2.0 out ASAP! If my 7970 GHZ rocks DX11 FSX without issues, I will keep this card (all other games at Ultra settings locked at 60 is fine by me) and get me a new i7 Haswell setup.

Charles.

I am using a club3d hd6950 coolstream now..
If you never heard this puppy, you have no idea of the meaning *loud*

It sometimes drives me up the wall.. Like a 24/7 vacuum cleaner..

Thanks for the warning to stay away from that brand.

I only trust Asus, HIS, sapphire and gigabyte. unless I'm going to put a water block on it I stay away from the reference design cooler no matter which generation.

Club3D as a brand is not bad. It has hits and misses like every other brand. The HD7950 with custom Club3D cooler (probably also Coolstream) I had before the 290X was whisperquiet under all circumstances. Even with a room temp of about 30C and gaming away in BF3 on Ultra+2xAA.

Just saying :).

The reference cooler on my 290X doesn't bother me. I've set it to a max of 50% and it usually stays below that without throttling core clock. And it's not loud enough to hear through my headset while gaming.

Maybe completely irrelevant to your comments but I just remembered a past experience. When I upgraded to a 7970 my computer got louder and initially I thought it was the 7970. On closer inspection it turned out it was my PSU. Card was driving more power than my cheap PSU could deal with and it got very hot. The noise was actually the PSU's own fan. The PSU was rated high enough but was made of poor components. Upgraded and it got somewhat quieter.

The way I got to the bottom of it was I use the fan monitor in CCC.after testing full load on the card I would end the game or demo that I was using and the computer would still be loud and I would check CCC fan percentage it would be about 35 percent normally be very quiet 35 percent. It was my PSU all along.

C.

Club3D as a brand is not bad. It has hits and misses like every other brand. The HD7950 with custom Club3D cooler (probably also Coolstream) I had before the 290X was whisperquiet under all circumstances. Even with a room temp of about 30C and gaming away in BF3 on Ultra+2xAA.

Just saying :).

The reference cooler on my 290X doesn't bother me. I've set it to a max of 50% and it usually stays below that without throttling core clock. And it's not loud enough to hear through my headset while gaming.

In quiet mode without the headphones how is it?

C.

I have a 1000w corsair, and that thing whispers.
it really is the GPU :) Specially in manual control mode..