Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

New Card released! AMD R9 290X. Good news for fans of both companies!

Hey everyone,

The point of this thread is to advise everyone that the landscape of the current video cards and pricing has started to change dramatically for the better for both ATI and nVidia fans alike!

AMD has released a series of new cards and the latest is the R9 290X. It is averagely faster than a GTX780 and in some cases matches the Titan. This is of course dependant on game, resolution tested, website tested at (do they lean one brand or the other) and so on. But still, it is averagely faster than the GTX780 no matter where you look.

SUMMARY: 18% faster for $100 cheaper. But!!! a bit louder and hotter than the GTX780 by all accounts. Not so much in quite mode but in Uber mode it's a hair dryer. Not like GTX480 but close. If I was in charge at ATI, I would not even have had UBER mode. It's where they are getting criticism. They should have qualified that UBER is intended for exotic cooling solutions and water blocks. Obviously, this was a reference design cooler and companies like ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI will plop thier super coolers on there and the temperature and sound level under load conversation will be moot.

Regardless. Back to the point of this thread.

The 780 is currently at $649 and up.

The 290X is arriving at $549.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-review,3650.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-290x-video-card-review_126806

If you are an ATI fan, you will be happy. If you are an nVidia fan you will be happy to know that the GTX780ti will be here in November to match it or likely beat it by a smidge (such is the video card game) and will be priced below $600. For nVidia people this really means... You will have a Titan for all intents and purposes at about $600 in November.

The 290 non-X is coming as well to fill the gap between $299 and $549 and will basically match the current GTX780 and will be priced at $399. It will be cooler and quieter than the 290X and is, IMO, the best balance of a gamers card in all respects. I NEVER go over $400 for a card so I am waiting for that.

The Moral of the story? Good news for everyone! :)

Now... Since the GTX700 series and the new AMD R9 series are monsters at DX11 and P3D 2.0 DX11 is around the corner.... I suggest everyone wait for November for this all to settle down. Or you might just be kicking yourself in 4 - 6 weeks if you grab something right now.

In November we know we're going to see custom overlocked and custom cooler equipped 290x's and 290' from AMD bored partners as well as Nvidia releasing 780 ti and 770 ti and all faster than and priced well below the current GTX 780.

Pretty darn exciting!

Charles.

For nVidia people this really means... You will have a Titan for all intents and purposes at about $600 in November.

Except for its crazy amount of memory. As a customer, though, I relish competition. \o/

Do you have any news stating that the 780 GTX Ti will be placed below $600?  Or are you just assuming this?

What if they priced it above the normal GTX 780 or at the price of the current CTX 780.

B.

if you're a gamer or a simmer.....STAY AWAY FROM ATI/AMD cards.

Here we go... :rolleyes:  

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

And the "most inaccurate reply ever" award goes to...

Hahahahaha.

Do you have any news stating that the 780 GTX Ti will be placed below $600? Or are you just assuming this?

What if they priced it above the normal GTX 780 or at the price of the current CTX 780.

B.

No proof that I can offer you directly. Guess we'll just have to wait for November to see if I'm right.

I'm waiting for R9 290. :-)

C.

" we can only assume that GTX 780 TI performance will come at a high price, ".

Quote from a recent article found here .

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32943-geforce-gtx-780-ti-to-end-up-faster-than-titan

So guessing they are right i think I will go for the GTX EVGA 780. The EVGA 780 already comes close to matching the Titan and I am using only I 1080p monitor. But will research the driver problems first.

B.

" we can only assume that GTX 780 TI performance will come at a high price, ".

Quote from a recent article found here .

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/32943-geforce-gtx-780-ti-to-end-up-faster-than-titan

So guessing they are right i think I will go for the GTX EVGA 780. The EVGA 780 already comes close to matching the Titan and I am using only I 1080p monitor. But will research the driver problems first.

B.

That would not make much sense. Lets say if, sometime in November, ASUS releases the CUII version of the 290X or Sapphire Toxic comes in at $589 and is within 5% of the GTX780Ti in performance (some games faster and some slower). Then what? Would the GTX780Ti make at or above the current GTX780 ($649). Nope! nVidia has to adjust pricing to compete here. 

nVidia would have to release the 780Ti at $599 or it will not be competitive at all. The current GTX780 will have to drop to $549 - $589 or thereabouts and I bet in the next 30 days it will.

GTX780Ti Prediction - It will be only a bit quieter than the typical ASUS/Gigabyte/Sapphire 290x release and draw somewhere around 35 watts less under load (.50 cents a month worth of electricity for a typical hard core gamer). If I was choosing it over ATI, it better only cost about $50 more at best if I am right about the performance differences.

Oh and if people worry about wattage draw on devices like video cards?  If you pay .11 cents per kw hour where you live and if a card pulls 50 more watts than the competitor and you play 3 hours a day every day, you are looking at 60 cents a month. LOL

http://www.citytrf.net/costs_calculator.htm

Charles.

Id never pay that much for a video card. The most Ive ever paid is $300 for my 660ti And I thought that was alot for a card. Since it runs through every game I have skyrim,bf3 ect I don't see a point in going with the most expensive card when next year it'll be $300 like my 660ti was last spring.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Id never pay that much for a video card. The most Ive ever paid is $300 for my 660ti And I thought that was alot for a card. Since it runs through every game I have skyrim,bf3 ect I don't see a point in going with the most expensive card when next year it'll be $300 like my 660ti was last spring.

Well the good news for you is that the GTX770 will have to drop closer to $300 due to the r9 280X variants hitting the shelves for $329 and less. So your theory is correct. And I often play the same game. I got my Gigabyte HD7970 Ghz edition for $389 on a price match from a local store. It was a little over my budget but was $100 off what you normally pay and $150 off the release price a year earlier. Had I waited a few more months, I would have had the ASUS CUII 29 280X for $329.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_280X_Direct_Cu_II_TOP/

The r9 280x is more or less the rebranded AMD HD7970 which competed directly with the GTX680 which became the GTX770 recently. The 7970 and the GTX680 were both the $500 cards just over a year and a bit ago. So there ya go!

Charles. 

Ill have to see how well the 660 can handle bf4. If it does good then Ill prolly wait another year to upgrade.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

That would not make much sense. Lets say if, sometime in November, ASUS releases the CUII version of the 290X or Sapphire Toxic comes in at $589 and is within 5% of the GTX780Ti in performance (some games faster and some slower). Then what? Would the GTX780Ti make at or above the current GTX780 ($649). Nope! nVidia has to adjust pricing to compete here. 

nVidia would have to release the 780Ti at $599 or it will not be competitive at all. The current GTX780 will have to drop to $549 - $589 or thereabouts and I bet in the next 30 days it will.

GTX780Ti Prediction - It will be only a bit quieter than the typical ASUS/Gigabyte/Sapphire 290x release and draw somewhere around 35 watts less under load (.50 cents a month worth of electricity for a typical hard core gamer). If I was choosing it over ATI, it better only cost about $50 more at best if I am right about the performance differences.

Oh and if people worry about wattage draw on devices like video cards?  If you pay .11 cents per kw hour where you live and if a card pulls 50 more watts than the competitor and you play 3 hours a day every day, you are looking at 60 cents a month. LOL

http://www.citytrf.net/costs_calculator.htm

Charles.

From your price, with the 780 Ti at $599 and regular 780 at $550, who would possibly buy the regular 780? That does not sound right to me. But only time will tell.

I have had great ATI/AMD cards, and got great performance in flightsims and other games. I have only had issues with nVidia cards in my gaming history.

I look forward to see the 290 with third party coolers!

I'm glad ATI/AMD are still in the hunt for the high end GPU market and 4K computing is most likely going to be the "norm" in 2014 at the high end of the market.

I'm happy with my current Titan 6GB card (not all roses, I had two RMAs - long story but eventually resolved) but I use it for duties other than FSX (C4D for example and Adobe AF).  It'll probably take 2 Titan's to run 4K res in the gaming/simulation world at smooth frame rates.

But over the years I have bounced back and forth from AMD/ATI to nVidia ... both had some issues but I think what drove me away from AMD/ATI is the terrible support (both end user and developer) and video drivers that were "hit or miss" ... I would literally have to installed one version of their drivers and specific CAP in order to play XYZ game, but would have to switch drivers to another version if I played MNO game -- it got exhausting.  I haven't needed to do that with my nVidia drivers yet.

But I've also maintained that multi-GPU support in all/any games is KEY to their success.  It's far far cheaper and easier to add a second GPU than it is to replace an entire system ... it's all about scalability.  And again, why I'm still very disappointed that P3D will not have multi-GPU support in V2.0.

I've had the R9 290X in my system since yesterday. It's a beast of a card. I don't really understand the complaints about the reference cooler. It's not as quiet as 3rd party solutions, but it gets the job done and is not really audible above ingame sound (speakers and/or headset). I've heard louder coolers, that's for sure. But everyone has a different opinion about noise levels.

I run a 2560x1080 ultrawide monitor, and the 290X just blasts through anything I throw at it. I've triend BF3 @ Ultra + 8x MSAA, Crysis 3 @ Very High + 4x AA, Metro LL @ highest settings + 4x AA.... the list goes on. Haven't found a way to make it stutter at my resolution yet, which is why I bought it.

I used to pick something slightly below high-end, like the HD3850 and HD4850. Then Crossfire when one card couldn't cut it anymore. But this time I had the money to splurge, so I just went for it. No regrets either.