Sign in to follow this  
Jacoba

Airbus Considers Cutting Its A380, Airlines Aren't Buying Huge Jumbo Jets Anymore

Well Emirates have ordered a huge number, 90 in total, Qatar also have ordered a large amount of these beasts, along with Etihad expecting 10 firm orders and a possible 5 extras.

It's true that twin jets are the best option for the bulk of airlines, but for cash rich gulf states these monsters are perfect.

Rob Prest

I think the A380 has already proven itself. Especially when you compare it to orders of the 747-800.

259 orders and 111 deliveries means they still have a lot of work to do. When the recession is over I am sure their will be demand for a stretched A380

Matthew Kane

Hmmm.. I think Airbus is getting ahead of themselves. I understand their need to be a bit careful and defensive, but honestly the A380 is a superb machine compared to competition. The 748i was a poor attempt at hitting back at Airbus. And the strategy of buying back old 744s to make em order 748s seems a bit desperate: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-01/why-boeing-is-buying-up-older-747s

So I hope they dont stop the A380 production. Perhaps streamline it?

Im anyways very excited about the A350XWB and how it will do compared to the 787.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Hmmm.. I think Airbus is getting ahead of themselves. I understand their need to be a bit careful and defensive, but honestly the A380 is a superb machine compared to competition. The 748i was a poor attempt at hitting back at Airbus. And the strategy of buying back old 744s to make em order 748s seems a bit desperate: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-01/why-boeing-is-buying-up-older-747s

So I hope they dont stop the A380 production. Perhaps streamline it?

Im anyways very excited about the A350XWB and how it will do compared to the 787.

Well at the current rate of production there are several planes that would be finished in 2015 that haven't been sold yet (due to airlines spreading out when they want to take delivery of their planes). Overall the combined very large aircraft (VLA) market (i.e. B748 & A388) is not living up to the projections Boeing and Airbus had for it so far. It's likely that will change in the near future though, as the global economy picks back up and Asia keeps growing economy and population wise.

Interestingly, Airbus and Boeing seem to disagree in their forecasts for sales of very large aircraft (VLA).

In a recent interview on French TV, a Boeing executive said that while Airbus forecasts sales of 1700 VLAs in the next 20 years, Boeing's figure for this market is only about 760.

Rgds,

Bruno

Interestingly, Airbus and Boeing seem to disagree in their forecasts for sales of very large aircraft (VLA).

In a recent interview on French TV, a Boeing executive said that while Airbus forecasts sales of 1700 VLAs in the next 20 years, Boeing's figure for this market is only about 760.

Rgds,

Bruno

Bruno,

quote it and came back in 20 years .... we all know how the story of the 747 was not as good at it seems before 73 the flight deck was not even sale for profit ... so we ll see and who knows what will happen in 20 about aviation and oil ...

Bruno,

quote it and came back in 20 years .... we all know how the story of the 747 was not as good at it seems before 73 the flight deck was not even sale for profit ... so we ll see and who knows what will happen in 20 about aviation and oil ...

Hmmm, I think I see your point but please note I was only pointing at the difference in forecasts between Airbus and Boeing.

But, to quote from a famous humorist, "Forecasting is a difficult job, especially when it concerns the future". :smile:

Rgds,

Bruno

Airbus just need China to jump on board, with a few hundren A380 orders, and all will be fine. :wink:

Airbus just need China to jump on board, with a few hundren A380 orders, and all will be fine. :wink:

If China needs high capacity, short to medium range ac like those 747s Boeing sold to the japanese airlines in the 70's and 80's for domestic traffic, there might be a market for a high-density version of the A380.

Interestingly, on long range flights, many A380 users have chosen low density seating arrangements, which means that the difference in seating capacity between an A380 and a 777-300 is not that large.

Air Austral, a French company serving FMEE (Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean)  from Paris (about 5000 nm) actually ordered two A380s in a single class hi-density version with 840 seats but due to financial trouble, they tried to cancel the order later. In any case, they realized (lately) that such high density offering would "cannibalize" their own 777-based offering. At this time, they are still negociating with Airbus about cancellation but if they have to keep the A380s, they'll go for a standard multi-class seating arrangement.

Finally, many people don't realize that the A380 cargo capacity is not that great (related to its seating capacity), which would be another problem for high-capacity versions : one of the few weaknesses of this aircraft - although this makes sense on a double-decker.

Rgds,

Bruno