Sign in to follow this  
Airline2Sim

Ask the Q400 pilot a question.....

Thanks Ben ... very helpful indeed.

What I have overlooked is that APPR will arm both LOC and GS ... 

I'll be paying close attention to the CatII into Liverpool and eating crow as a side dish!

Ken

I believe that in the (cadet) videos you use the AP button on the panel to disengage the autopilot at the end of the approach.  I have mapped to control column A/P disc button (pro version) to my joystick and noticed that when using that button the effect is not the same (there's beeping and flashing).  I push the button twice (to cancel the alerts?).

The control column button seems more natural to me, and I was just wondering which button is usually used (IRL) to disengage at the end of the approach.  Also, what is the difference between using the control column button and the panel AP button?

I believe that in the (cadet) videos you use the AP button on the panel to disengage the autopilot at the end of the approach.  I have mapped to control column A/P disc button (pro version) to my joystick and noticed that when using that button the effect is not the same (there's beeping and flashing).  I push the button twice (to cancel the alerts?).

The control column button seems more natural to me, and I was just wondering which button is usually used (IRL) to disengage at the end of the approach.  Also, what is the difference between using the control column button and the panel AP button?

I've asked Josh for some clarification on this one. We used the panel switch on the Cadet videos but moved to using the yoke switch in the FO course to make things a bit 'slicker'.

I suspect the yoke switch is used by the real crews and as you suggest the aural and visual alerts are subtly different.  

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I noticed the TCS mode is now implemented in the Pro version. Just wondering, is that used at all in the real plane, and if so : In which situation ?

Mike

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

I've asked Josh for some clarification on this one. We used the panel switch on the Cadet videos but moved to using the yoke switch in the FO course to make things a bit 'slicker'.

I suspect the yoke switch is used by the real crews and as you suggest the aural and visual alerts are subtly different.

The button operation from programming it in the q400 ini file provides the correct operation. One press to disengage ap, second press to cancel the visual and aural alert.

From the man himself:

'Auto pilot always disconnected by handling pilot using the control column button, not an official SOP but it's the only logical way to do it and in fact I think the only way I've ever done it in the real aeroplane. That does generate a warning horn requiring another push of the button to cancel it.

Hitting the button on the MCP would also switch it off however having never done it I've no idea if it would trigger the horn.'

So the control column button it is, gents.

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies; wonderful videos backed up by an excellent forum.  I hope you won't mind too much if I slip in another quick question:

What is the (two position?) button on the far left of the control column for (not the elevator trim)?  I suspect it's a PTT (one position for radios, the other for intercom)?

Thanks.

From the man himself:

'Auto pilot always disconnected by handling pilot using the control column button, not an official SOP but it's the only logical way to do it and in fact I think the only way I've ever done it in the real aeroplane. That does generate a warning horn requiring another push of the button to cancel it.

Hitting the button on the MCP would also switch it off however having never done it I've no idea if it would trigger the horn.'

So the control column button it is, gents.

Hitting the AFCS AP button triggers the horn as well as the red autopilot disconnect caution flashing light- which the yoke button would not cause. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hello Airline2sim,

You really did a great job on those FO training video. It answered a lot of question! Thank you for your work.

I have some questions about the procedures in Chambéry which is my home airport and where I fly from IRL:

I understood very well how to handle the approach in case of circling to land with the Dash. But I wonder how the approach changes in case of a straight in landing runway 18. In case of circling, Josh tells us to keep flaps 15 on the ILS and go for flaps 30 later in the circling. In the straight in, is it safe to go for the ILS with flaps 15 and then flaps 30 later on the ILS or is it better to intercept glideslope with flaps 30 already? Is the Dash able to deccelerate on the ILS with flaps 15?

I was also wondering about the departure runway 18 (which is quite "the wrong way"). Yesterday, the Dashes were departing from runway 18 and as I could see this departure (which is not in the charts) implies to follow the same trajectory as the missed approach procedure runway 18. Missed approach implies a 80°/260° turn after passing CH ndb (with 20° bank and 160kt max) and then overflly CH ndb again and follow ILS 18 Back course up to 6500ft. I would like to know how this departure is handled in the cockpit, is it blue or pink needle? what mode are active or armed (back course?). I would be glad if Josh or some one else could explain this departure. I suppose it is quite a special departure.

Best regards,

Pierre

Hello Airline2sim,

You really did a great job on those FO training video. It answered a lot of question! Thank you for your work.

I have some questions about the procedures in Chambéry which is my home airport and where I fly from IRL:

I understood very well how to handle the approach in case of circling to land with the Dash. But I wonder how the approach changes in case of a straight in landing runway 18. In case of circling, Josh tells us to keep flaps 15 on the ILS and go for flaps 30 later in the circling. In the straight in, is it safe to go for the ILS with flaps 15 and then flaps 30 later on the ILS or is it better to intercept glideslope with flaps 30 already? Is the Dash able to deccelerate on the ILS with flaps 15?

I was also wondering about the departure runway 18 (which is quite "the wrong way"). Yesterday, the Dashes were departing from runway 18 and as I could see this departure (which is not in the charts) implies to follow the same trajectory as the missed approach procedure runway 18. Missed approach implies a 80°/260° turn after passing CH ndb (with 20° bank and 160kt max) and then overflly CH ndb again and follow ILS 18 Back course up to 6500ft. I would like to know how this departure is handled in the cockpit, is it blue or pink needle? what mode are active or armed (back course?). I would be glad if Josh or some one else could explain this departure. I suppose it is quite a special departure.

Best regards,

Pierre

I've forwarded your questions to Josh. He may even post up here the response.

Hello Airline2sim,

Best regards,

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

With regard to a straight in approach it would be normal to fly the full ILS with Flap 35 selected before intercepting the glide slope; the aeroplane's ability to decelerate with Flap 15 is affected by its weight and more importantly the wind component on the approach. Generally it will slow down with Flap 15 at flight idle and the props at 1020 but not terribly quickly, only a strong tailwind (and hence a greater groundspeed requiring a higher rate of descent) will make it difficult if not impossible to slow down with Flap 15. In general the Dash doesn't have huge problems disposing of energy, the area where it can be a bit of a bu***r is in the speed range between about 200 and 220kts where you can't configure with either gear or flap due to the speed; once the gear's down, the props are up and some flap is out it's generally not much of a problem, even on a steep approach. Good thought though!

In terms of the departure from R18, I'm going to be entirely honest and say that on the aeroplanes I flew I can't actually remember exactly how the departure was programmed in the FMS. You're absolutely correct in your observation that the departure is essentially the same as the go around with the 80/260 turn and then a track back up the valley. I'm pretty sure we used to get airborne  with GA/HDG/Alt Sel and fly the 80/260 in heading mode with take off flap at V2 plus 10 or 160 kts, whichever is greater (therefore almost always 160kts). The outbound course up the valley was programmed as a departure in the box so we could select the Nav Source to magenta and arm Nav and it would intercept the outbound track up the valley; I don't see any reason why you couldn't have the ILS 18 tuned and select Back Course to intercept the localiser outbound however in the real aeroplane I've never used the BC button, it's really an American concept which isn't used in Europe. Once above an appropriate MSA (which I think I recall is 7000ft, but I'm away from home at the moment and don't have the charts to hand) or established heading back up the valley (ie not still pointing at the side of a hill!) you can accelerate and clean up the aeroplane.

I apologise that isn't terribly definitive, I don't have the charts to hand and it's amazing how rapidly one starts to forget the details of a procedure when you haven't flown it for a while!

I hope that helps, enjoy Dashing about.

Josh

Hello,

Thank you very much to Ben for forwarding the question and to Josh for your answer.

I will try some approaches and departure RWY18 following these advices. I may report here how it went^^

Looking forward for the last shared cockpit video! And future A320 training^^

Good flights to all,

Pierre

Hello,

Thank you very much to Ben for forwarding the question and to Josh for your answer.

I will try some approaches and departure RWY18 following these advices. I may report here how it went^^

Looking forward for the last shared cockpit video! And future A320 training^^

Good flights to all,

Pierre

Thanks Pierre! :)

In Airline2Sim video the consultative pilot said that according to his company the final reserve fuel always should be 920 kilo. To my, simming opinion, it is quite a huge amount of fuel. For a 1 - 1,5 hours route,  about 30% of fuel is a final reserve in spite of the fact that alternative airport also included in a plan. And with maximum commercial load (78 passengers + 13 kilo luggage per passenger) ZFW is 25,5 K => take off mass is always near maximum restriction (29K).

So I always wanted to ask how it is in other airlines? Do they have the same constant final reserve or it could be variable according to calculations like simming fuel planners provides? 

In op.manual it is said that if you plan landing with bleeds ON you should set landing altitude on a pressurization panel +500ft, but pilot flying never do it in Airline2Sim video. Is it also a variable point which is not so important and can differ from company to company?

In Airline2Sim video the consultative pilot said that according to his company the final reserve fuel always should be 920 kilo. To my, simming opinion, it is quite a huge amount of fuel. For a 1 - 1,5 hours route, about 30% of fuel is a final reserve in spite of the fact that alternative airport also included in a plan. And with maximum commercial load (78 passengers + 13 kilo luggage per passenger) ZFW is 25,5 K => take off mass is always near maximum restriction (29K).

So I always wanted to ask how it is in other airlines? Do they have the same constant final reserve or it could be variable according to calculations like simming fuel planners provides?

In op.manual it is said that if you plan landing with bleeds ON you should set landing altitude on a pressurization panel +500ft, but pilot flying never do it in Airline2Sim video. Is it also a variable point which is not so important and can differ from company to company?

Hi Taiyang

We used a large final reserve figure in the Cadet series so as to not risk running low on fuel if we had to go around for any reason. We wanted to concentrate on the flying, so didn't want fuel and subsequent diversions to be a consideration at that point. Different rules exist using different amounts all across the world but it's normally sufficient fuel for holding at 1500 feet for 30 minutes, or in some jurisdictions 45 minutes. I think we used 45 minutes in the Cadet series.

If you use Simbrief or PFPX, it will calculate the final reserve figure for you. Use that.

The landing alt plus 500 ft thing is not as I understand it the usual SOP, but I can check with Josh. I've checked the company manual and can't find any reference to it. You'd also be landing with the bleeds on MIN, as opposed to ON, which I guess is what you mean?

Cheers

Ben