Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

ORBX Iceland demo - problem with vector lights

The only ORBX product I have is England, it was the first product I brought from them, and I was a little underwhelmed by it.

I keep hearing really good things about FTXG so have been looking forward to this demo, so I could reevaluate my disappointment with my previous purchase.

Not having flown in Iceland before I thought it best to fly around the default scenery for an hour or so and then load the demo and appreciate the difference. This I did for dawn, dusk, day and night.

After loading, I couldn't resist finding out what the new vector lighting was like. Eek! It was a bit of a surprise. I should explain that I use Eyefinity at a resolution of 5760*1020 which is one view spread over three monitors. so was not expecting to see the lights looking like giant footballs. Ive tried every setting in FTX central to no avail.

I don't have a clue if the same issue would be apparent in FTXG as I don't own it.

After trying all the different settings in FTX central, it didn't leave me much time to fly around in daylight but, from what I've seen so far it looks really good. The effect of the vector lighting I have to say, looks amazing, but once below say, 2000 ft the illusion is dissolved.

I do hope their is a way of making the vector lights look a little more realistic at this resolution. I know that initially when I first started using Eyefinity I had to use a different halo.bmp to make FSX lighting look realistic, which it now does.

search for a resized halo.bmp in the avsim library, that will fix the lights

edit http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=149396

I did mention that I've already done that, but thanks anyway. :)

They are going to release a tool for modifying the size of their lights soon.

Thanks, that's good news. I'm guessing that will simply be a free tool?

Yes I couldn't agree more..the lights are TOO BIG!!! A resizer tool will be very welcome!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Yes I couldn't agree more..the lights are TOO BIG!!! A resizer tool will be very welcome!

....and a way to space them out along the road ways.  For my taste, I would like them to display every other one (as they now appear in their spacing to the next). I would find that way more realistic.