Sign in to follow this  
riccardo74

Proper Nvidia Inspector settings wiht DX10 fixer?

Sorry, but I did not understand if the best is to set the frame limiter 30 in NV Inspector or not. It is better to just limit in FSX and not in NV Inspector? Or is it better to do it in both places? 

greetings

Sorry, but I did not understand if the best is to set the frame limiter 30 in NV Inspector or not. It is better to just limit in FSX and not in NV Inspector? Or is it better to do it in both places? 
greetings

I'd suggest setting to 31fps in FSX and "half refresh rate" in NI (assuming you have a 60Hz monitor). 

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I'd suggest setting to 31fps in FSX and "half refresh rate" in NI (assuming you have a 60Hz monitor). 

I recommend unlimited FPS and adaptive vSync (half) in nVidia Control Panel.

Spirit

I recommend unlimited FPS and adaptive vSync (half) in nVidia Control Panel.

Spirit

hi, 
where do you base this recommendation? All tutorials and guidelines recommend limiting fps for better performance and smoothness. 
a greeting

hi, 
where do you base this recommendation? All tutorials and guidelines recommend limiting fps for better performance and smoothness. 
a greeting

Hi,

own and others experience. It's easy to try and doesn't hurt. The decision is yours. Maybe using Google with "adaptive vSync" give you more hints.

Spirit

Probably not critical on new hardware, I may try it myself now that my new system is up and running, to be able to run unlimited with half refresh rate.  I actually did this for quite a while on my old system.  Then I started flying more in ORBX full regions and especially if I tried to use the NGX in them on my old system I would get massive blurries after a couple minutes unless I had the FPS locked regardless of vsync settings.  Hopefully I won't have that problem on the new system since it's a massive increase in power.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Smoothing fixed fps with NI: Setting NVidia Inspector correctly will help smooth the fixed frame rate set in FSX. As long as the vsync is set to 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, or x1 of the monitor refresh rate, and FSX fixed rate is set perfectly to match.

A setting of 20 fps is chosen for this comparison using 1/3 refresh rate vsync with 60Hz monitor = 20 Fixed fps. Setting FSX fixed rate to vsync + 1 is not recommended as shown with FSX fixed 21fps in the top graph, and felt "grainy" flying in the sim.

vsynccompared.jpg

more about using NI for DX9, DX10, and DX11 here

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Probably not critical on new hardware, I may try it myself now that my new system is up and running, to be able to run unlimited with half refresh rate. I actually did this for quite a while on my old system. Then I started flying more in ORBX full regions and especially if I tried to use the NGX in them on my old system I would get massive blurries after a couple minutes unless I had the FPS locked regardless of vsync settings. Hopefully I won't have that problem on the new system since it's a massive increase in power.

You will still need to lock FSX at 30 to avoid blurries when flying in the FTX world.

The key is to try to set up the sliders to maintain 30 or get a faster computer (CPU & GPU)

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Smoothing fixed fps with NI: Setting NVidia Inspector correctly will help smooth the fixed frame rate set in FSX. As long as the vsync is set to 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, or x1 of the monitor refresh rate, and FSX fixed rate is set perfectly to match.

A setting of 20 fps is chosen for this comparison using 1/3 refresh rate vsync with 60Hz monitor = 20 Fixed fps. Setting FSX fixed rate to vsync + 1 is not recommended as shown with FSX fixed 21fps in the top graph, and felt "grainy" flying in the sim.

Interesting info, thanks!

You will still need to lock FSX at 30 to avoid blurries when flying in the FTX world.

The key is to try to set up the sliders to maintain 30 or get a faster computer (CPU & GPU)

Hopefully I shouldn't have a problem with maintaining 30fps on my new system (4790K and a GTX780).

2). AntiAliasing - Behavior Flags - "None", as AA is controlled from FSX.

3). AntiAliasing - Mode - "Application-controlled" - because Inspector cannot force AA with FSX DX10. AA must be ticked in the FSX "Settings" facility.

4). AntiAliasing - Setting - "Application-controlled/Off".  Same reason.

I was looking for some guide on forcing AA with NI too but just tweaked and found settings by myself and I am afraid I must prove you wrong. You CAN force AA with NI on FSX. First, lemme tell why why all this is, I dont know about others but in my case SweetFX will not work at all if FSX DEFAULT AA is enabled so had to use external way in order to have delightful SweetFX improvements. The SweetFX itself as u kno has AA forcing but I didnt like it plus tweaking it is complex beyond my reach (and I guess many others). Tried and worked NI, you just have to:

Antialiasing - Behavior Flags = None

Antialiasing - Mode = Override any application settings

Antialiasing - Setting = THIS YOU CAN PLAY WITH IT (I have 8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS] but its not at smooth as I wish, will try different ones, specially the 4x and 8x)

The antialiasing transparency settings are NOT needed, I've also read this setting is really high demanding and not sure what its intended for, I think something about edges and some lines.

I was looking for some guide on forcing AA with NI too but just tweaked and found settings by myself and I am afraid I must prove you wrong. You CAN force AA with NI on FSX. First, lemme tell why why all this is, I dont know about others but in my case SweetFX will not work at all if FSX DEFAULT AA is enabled so had to use external way in order to have delightful SweetFX improvements. The SweetFX itself as u kno has AA forcing but I didnt like it plus tweaking it is complex beyond my reach (and I guess many others). Tried and worked NI, you just have to:

Antialiasing - Setting = THIS YOU CAN PLAY WITH IT (I have 8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS] but its not at smooth as I wish, will try different ones, specially the 4x and 8x)

The antialiasing transparency settings are NOT needed, I've also read this setting is really high demanding and not sure what its intended for, I think something about edges and some lines.

I think most people (I'm guessing) use tranparency AA to fix the shimmering mess virtual cockpits.  The QW Avro can be really bad at shimmering on the annunciator panel.  It also smooths edges on things like aircraft livery textures.

You can use SGSS but you will not be able to force 8 xS when dx10 is enabled.

You can use SGSS but you will not be able to force 8 xS when dx10 is enabled.

Well I forgot to mention I'm doing all this because I DO run on DX10, and yes, my NI DOES inject AA in my FSX (only tried 2 options so far, both injected, I guess they all would), it is looking really nice now, I want to add I noticed BIG FPS loss on that 8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS] plus it wasnt that smooth at all, tried [2x multisample] and it may be looking even smoother with, I would say, the same or maybe a little less impact on FPS than my stock FSX AA used to give me. Now, when Im on a FULL MIST runway I can see a thin grey line by just fractions of seconds at the end of the RWY, or my horizon of view when I pan de camera around my virtual cockpit, do you think that grey ghost line is the target of the "transparency AA"?

Well I forgot to mention I'm doing all this because I DO run on DX10, and yes, my NI DOES inject AA in my FSX (only tried 2 options so far, both injected, I guess they all would), it is looking really nice now, I want to add I noticed BIG FPS loss on that 8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS] plus it wasnt that smooth at all, tried [2x multisample] and it may be looking even smoother with, I would say, the same or maybe a little less impact on FPS than my stock FSX AA used to give me. Now, when Im on a FULL MIST runway I can see a thin grey line by just fractions of seconds at the end of the RWY, or my horizon of view when I pan de camera around my virtual cockpit, do you think that grey ghost line is the target of the "transparency AA"?

Interesting..... I've never been able to force 8xS with Dx10 enabled. Maybe Steve can clarify if this is driver or system related.