Sign in to follow this  
riccardo74

Proper Nvidia Inspector settings wiht DX10 fixer?

Daxeroth, today I did some tests too, and my findings are pretty much like yours, except for the fact that I don't use NVidia Inspector, I just set things directly in NVidia Control Panel. And I use SweetFX too (direct text file editing). One time I noticed that disabling FSX's internal AA I would have AA perfectly applied just by setting forced within NCP and DX10 Scenery Fixer altogether. I even noticed that 8x would go easier on frame rate than 32x, but only when SweetFX was active (Scroll Lock hotkey), nevertheless I wouldn't loose AA by deactivating SweetFX, just like you reported. Strange thing.

The problem still lies on screenshots: FSX's internal AA deactivated the screenshots appear completely jagged (but not on the fly simulation, as I explained above). FSX's internal AA activated the screenshots appear somewhat anti-aliased, except for the aircraft shadows on the ground, which appear completely jagged as if there was no AA at all.

I thought the 8xS claim was somewhat suspect when the author complained that his results were lacking, i.e. "not as smooth as I wish".

Want smooth AA in DX10?  Using a single 1920x1080 panel and a gtx 780?  Try 4x DSR @ 25% smoothing with 16xCSAA and 16x AF enabled (no need for any GSAA). If you can get past the tiny menus and GPS text it's truly bliss.

What do you guys suggest regarding this DSR thing? I just noticed it today within my NVidia Control Panel settings (the older drivers didn't seem to have this), and I must confess I didn't researched for more information. :-)

Anyways I just selected every and all options regarding this setting (should I select only one?) and set the smoothness to 50%. But I just didn't notice any visible changes in FSX visuals. Yes, my monitor is 1920x1080 and running DX10 with SweetFX. SweetFX has all AA options disabled and NCP has AA forced 8x, as well as DX10 Scenery Fixer. FSX's internal AA is also enabled in order to have not so bad screenshots.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

DSR only has any effect if the screen resolution in FSX is set to the virtual DSR resolution.  This resolution will appear in the list of known resolutions in the display settings for FSX.  Note too that Artur's post above is also applies.  I like set the DSR smoothing as low as possible (23-25%), higher values erase details in the textures.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

:lol:    Naah... Good suggestion, Spirit, but I'll pass on it. I've thought about the move many times, but Steve's DX10 Fixer was always of greater importance.

To be honest - I haven't flown in several weeks. I built an MD-80 TQ over the summer - and with most of the right functionality, too (Desktop Aviator USB cards) but have yet to use it. Also over the spring and summer - we had to re-lay the pipe from our house to the sewage disposal bed: take down a few trees, build a retaining wall, install three new windows, seal and insulate the crawl area under the kitchen and bedrooms, re-do our heating system, plus build a new shed to take the lawn mowers and garden equipment as well, and - being a couple of months shy of being 70 - I'm running out of steam. Arthritis is playing some part, too, and I just can't seem to get the interest back. On top of that I had to get some new bits and pieces for this black box under the desk...... (Aaaargh... if you know what I mean  <_<  ) I suppose it's called "life"!

All the Best, mate!

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Yes, I use it fullscreen. I got the idea and tried 1.2x with 25% smoothness, it looked interesting, except for the fact that my monitor was not used in its entirety, I mean, black areas were show to the right and at the bottom. Probably something I missed here? :-)

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

I suppose it's called "life"!

Hi Paul,

your to-do-list is incredible and I guess there's still no end of the tunnel to see. There's always something to do and/or to fix. One positive thing - it keeps you young - but only in mind and the body has its problem to catch up. Stay healthy my friend.

Be happy and take good care of yourself.

Spirit

Yes, I use it fullscreen. I got the idea and tried 1.2x with 25% smoothness, it looked interesting, except for the fact that my monitor was not used in its entirety, I mean, black areas were show to the right and at the bottom. Probably something I missed here? :-)

Did you select (as pointed out in one of the above post) a resolution within fsx display settings. If you did try ALT+ENTER twice.

Bob

Did you select (as pointed out in one of the above post) a resolution within fsx display settings. If you did try ALT+ENTER twice.

Bob

Yes, I did. In order not to screw-up my FSX.CFG I changed the resolution directly inside the config file. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

I find that when using DSR FSX starts its main window in the upper left corner with black regions around it as you describe.  When using 4x DSR, the black region is 3/4 of the screen!  As mentioned, transitioning in and out of windowed mode fixes this, as does attempting to interact with the FSX screen, e.g. bring up a menu in it.  I've found that using a DSR factor of 1.2x barely exploits the image quality improvements which DSR can bring to FSX, and it may require a higher smoothing value to knock down jaggy edges.  Experiment with different settings to see what you like the best.  You might find that transparency 4x GSAA (without DSR) has better image quality than 1.2x DSR (or maybe not, FPS performance may be the deciding factor).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I do not use any FPS limiter and have only one monitor, so:

Should I enable "vertical sync" in NVIDIA inspector ?

Should I have "forcewindowedvsync=1" in FSX.cfg ?

Should I restart Aero as proposed ?

Artur 

YES the ' How to Guide' recommends all the points you mention, it also suggest limiting frame rates within fsx.

You could also consider using DisablePreload=1 , in the [Main] section of the fsx.cfg file.(This helps prevent vsync tearing.)

Bob

Bob, thanks for answer

My computer definitely hates FSX frame limiter, frame hit is huge so I do not use it.

'Disable preload=1' is recommended if using full screen, I use windowed mode.

My point is that 'How to guide' recommend vert. sync. in case using frame limiter ( 60Hz - 1/2 sync. - 30 frames ), but if FSX is running without limiter then maybe sync is redundant ?

Artur 

Bob, thanks for answer

My computer definitely hates FSX frame limiter, frame hit is huge so I do not use it.

'Disable preload=1' is recommended if using full screen, I use windowed mode.

My point is that 'How to guide' recommend vert. sync. in case using frame limiter ( 60Hz - 1/2 sync. - 30 frames ), but if FSX is running without limiter then maybe sync is redundant ?

It's best setting fsx frame rates to 30 or 31 with 1/2 sync. In ni settings.

Of course your computer spec and the addons you install have a bearing on the settings . The guide gives advice on low, mid to high end specs.

I have seen post where some set frame rates to unlimited, and they say they get good results but perhaps thats with very high end processors.

I achive a very smooth performance with 31

Bob

Ps not to sure about ni settings in windows mode as I use full screen, we need someone to comment on this.

Just done some research on widows mode and it looks like you go with the last two points in your post with some limit on frame rates in fsx.

:lol:    Naah... Good suggestion, Spirit, but I'll pass on it. I've thought about the move many times, but Steve's DX10 Fixer was always of greater importance.

To be honest - I haven't flown in several weeks. I built an MD-80 TQ over the summer - and with most of the right functionality, too (Desktop Aviator USB cards) but have yet to use it. Also over the spring and summer - we had to re-lay the pipe from our house to the sewage disposal bed: take down a few trees, build a retaining wall, install three new windows, seal and insulate the crawl area under the kitchen and bedrooms, re-do our heating system, plus build a new shed to take the lawn mowers and garden equipment as well, and - being a couple of months shy of being 70 - I'm running out of steam. Arthritis is playing some part, too, and I just can't seem to get the interest back. On top of that I had to get some new bits and pieces for this black box under the desk...... (Aaaargh... if you know what I mean  <_<  ) I suppose it's called "life"!

All the Best, mate!

pj

Paul 

Are you Back ?

i hope so 

hope all is well 

Thanks 

JHo