Sign in to follow this  
riccardo74

Proper Nvidia Inspector settings wiht DX10 fixer?

Perhaps Mr Daxroth should stop quoting from old documentation as "proof" that I (and Steve Parsons - and countless others) was wrong in suggesting the Inspector cannot force AA in FSX. At the date of that publication - Inspector most definitely could NOT force AA into FSX.

My Guide was given over to Adamski_NZ back in May, 2014 (approx date), and both drivers and Inspector have undergone changes since then. My current (unpublished, but nonetheless is kept up to date) has this (4th pic down, "Current Guide" (the rest are Inspector DSR, etc.. testing)) to say about that AA as it may apply at this time. This excerpt is taken from page 15 of the (my) DX10 Guide, dated Sept. 14, so it's fairly recent.

As Jose suggests - you may want to slide this past Steve himeself, either here or via his blogsite.

All the Best!

pj

(Hi Jose!)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I don't believe anything has changed. I cannot force multisampled or combined AA via NI in DX10 mode, you can of course turn on FXAA or run use a SMAA injector such as the one that ships with SweetFx but they look dreadful in motion - ok for screen shots.

Stick to Paul/Adamski_NZ guide.

Perhaps Mr Daxroth should stop quoting from old documentation as "proof" that I (and Steve Parsons - and countless others) was wrong in suggesting the Inspector cannot force AA in FSX. At the date of that publication - Inspector most definitely could NOT force AA into FSX.

My Guide was given over to Adamski_NZ back in May, 2014 (approx date), and both drivers and Inspector have undergone changes since then. My current (unpublished, but nonetheless is kept up to date) has this (4th pic down, "Current Guide" (the rest are Inspector DSR, etc.. testing)) to say about that AA as it may apply at this time. This excerpt is taken from page 15 of the (my) DX10 Guide, dated Sept. 14, so it's fairly recent.

As Jose suggests - you may want to slide this past Steve himeself, either here or via his blogsite.

All the Best!

pj

(Hi Jose!)

Thanks for checking in. B)

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I thought the 8xS claim was somewhat suspect when the author complained that his results were lacking, i.e. "not as smooth as I wish".

Want smooth AA in DX10?  Using a single 1920x1080 panel and a gtx 780?  Try 4x DSR @ 25% smoothing with 16xCSAA and 16x AF enabled (no need for any GSAA). If you can get past the tiny menus and GPS text it's truly bliss.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Just checking in...  - gotta keep an eye on you and Rod!

- yes - DSR is ideal for a 1080p monitor!

All the Best,

pj

(Hi Rod!)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Recently I have switched to DX10 using latest Steve fixer.

I was tempted by cockpit shadows :)

What is my observation after a week of trying, is that I have lower fps and stutters with DX10.

My system is well balanced and tweaked.

With DX9 I had never ever problems with OOM or fps.

I'm using only PMDG 777 and Aerosoft A320.

Especially stutters are annoying.

Trying some solutions, reading posts,  but still cannot find a good balance for stutters and performance.

As I am new to DX10 maybe can have some good advices from experienced DX10 users ?

Thanks in advance.

Artur 

Here is a "normal" Inspector setting, Riccardo. All of these settings apply to FSX when using DX10 - whether the shader patches or using the retail DX10 Fixer. 

Nov_19.jpg

1). The first setting is under "Compatibility", at the very top:-

"AntiAliasing compatibility (DX1x)" .........set this to "BioShock". (Courtesy of "VeryBumpy")

This will fix the AA for aircraft shadows on the ground.

2). AntiAliasing - Behavior Flags - "None", as AA is controlled from FSX.

3). AntiAliasing - Mode - "Application-controlled" - because Inspector cannot force AA with FSX DX10. AA must be ticked in the FSX "Settings" facility.

4). AntiAliasing - Setting - "Application-controlled/Off".  Same reason.

5). AntiAliasing - TransparencySuperSampling - "4x SGSS" (in this case) to control shimmering in water  and trees, etc. This number should be the same as the MultiSamplesPerPixel, as set by the DX10 Fixer entry in the FSX.cfg, under [Graphics]  Usually set to 2x, 4x or 8x (8x is a big load on the system)

6). Nvidia Pre-defined FXAA Usage - "Allowed". (if you wish) This will clean up the spinning aircraft jaggies, and will add some post-processing AA.

7). Toggle FXAA On/Off - "Off" (in this case) I don't care whether the spinning aircraft has jaggies or not.

8). Anisotropic Filtering Mode - "Application-controlled" - set in FSX's Settings

9). Anisotropic Filtering setting - "16x" - for good non-blurry lines, edges as the objects recede. Study a yellow taxi line with this on and off, to see the result.

10). LOD Bias - Set to "-1.0000", re this doc. to compensate for blurring caused by SGSS.

11). Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias - Set to "Allow" so that 10). above can work.

12). The next three are fairly self-explanatory.

13) and 14). These two are required for fullscreen Vsync control, and will need "DisablePreLoad=1" in the fsx.cfg (under [Main]), and "30" fps being set as the UpperFrameLimit under [Display]

OK!

Regarding shadows AA on the ground, I have some strange behavior. The shadows look great during the simulation, but as I take screenshots and check them later they appear to not have AA on those same shadows. Please note that I don't use NI, but forced 32 AA on the driver instead (which seems to make no difference, anyway). Would you know what's happening?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Yes, Wanthuyr - neither the Nvidia driver, nor NI cannot force AA on FSX when using DX10: it must be done by using Steve's DX10 Fixer, through the two extra lines in the [Display] section of the fsx.cfg, like so:-

[GRAPHICS]
MultiSamplesPerPixel=4
MultiSampleQuality=8

This will give you 8x CSAA, for example. To set this all up it is essential that you read the DX10 "How-To" Guide, originally published by me, but now owned by Adamski_NZ, over here - ok!

Also - both RodO and DJJose are very expert at using and setting up DX10, using both patch and retail Fixer. I've pretty much retired now, and only drop in from time to time.

All the Best,

pj

I still think you are wrong and AA 8x CAN be injected through NI on DX10 mode, will probably make a proof video later, now, could anyone please help me with this question: What type of AA is the DEFAULT FSX setting? Im having a hard time right now still choosing between DX9 and DX10 for terms of FPS... Its weird, I sometimes get more FPS on one and sometimes more on the other. Still on research and testing.

Inspector most definitely could NOT force AA into FSX.

Ok, I finally got to a conclusion after about 5h research on the "Nvidia Inspector force Antialiasing to FSX in DX10 preview" subject.

Turns out we were both right and wrong at the same time. NI by itself wont force AA in any way with any setting selected, either 2x Multisample or 32x whatever god knows. BUT I found it was working for me BECAUSE (and ONLY because) I had sweetFX installed in my FSX folder. While my SweetFX has AA or FXAA all disabled, my Inspector WOULD inject the AA, I guess the NI is just using the sweetFX DLLs. (As soon as I removed SweetFX files from FSX then NI will not force AA anymore. Anyway, here is proof of what I said first.

gPjLJh.jpg

I must add to this that the DEFAULT ANTIALIASING setting in FSX was DISABLED (Otherwise the nice color saturation you see wouldnt be visible because SweetFX doesnt seem to work if stock FSX AA is enabled, at least for me, I wonder if others experience this. This is why ME, and I guess others, are FORCED to FORCE the AA either from SweetFX or NI).

NOTE: You dont need to enable ANY option in SweetFX for AA from NI to work, even after u disable all SweetFX effects and press hotkey to "disable SweetFX", the AA is still there (If injected from NI... Because if injected from Sweet then obviously the AA would also be gone after disabling sweet with hotkey).

As for DX9 vs DX10 on FPS battle Im still testing but so far seems like DX10 will, at some moments, give me 5-10 FPS more than DX9. Plus, in order to make FSX look pretty in DX9 u need ENB which is cool but you gotta exit app and edit .ini file to try settings, while in SweetFX, with the "SweetFX congifurator" you know you can tweak all sorts of post processing in real time. (I wish it had depth of field). The final counter on using DX10 is bandicam WONT capture the SweetFX effect. Either screenshot or recording will look without SweetFX. Will have to use hypercam.

PD: 32x Combined MS + SS reduced my FPS from 40 to about 11 (but it looked gorgeous, no aliasing at all). Must try other settings

PD2: I guess I should add this for anyone wondering

ASUS N46VJ Laptop

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bits

Core i7 3630qm 2,4 - 3,4Ghz

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

1TB Seagate 5400rpm

Nvidia GeForce GT 635M 2GB (x96 shaders)

Mods:

FSX With SP2

ORBX Global 1.30 + Vector 1.20 (Lastest of both)

REX Essential+

Steve Parson's DX10 fixer (From the moment u install it u get like 10+20 FPS more in DX10 mode)

FSX.cfg optimized by Bojote's tool

SweetFX with Configurator tool

SweetFX provides FXAA - POST PROCESSING. NI will do the same. this IS NOT SMAA - which is what FSX uses. . Neither the driver, nor NI can force FSX to use SMAA.

pj

Paul, did you really mean to write MSAA rather than SMAA (which is yet another post processing AA method)?

Interesting back door you discovered Daxeroth. Consider that NI does not inject anything in runtime; it's only an editor of the driver's profile settings.  So it seems to me in that some sweetFX runtime dll, which 'enhances' the FSX rendering pipeline, comes to life and applies AA when it sees certain driver profile settings, regardless of the user interface settings.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

[GRAPHICS]
MultiSamplesPerPixel=4
MultiSampleQuality=8

Hi Paul,

nice to see that you're still busy with DX10. Keep on the good work.

Just stumbled over these 2 params you mentioned. I never saw them before and wonder if they would work also in P3D v2.x. I've to check it. Where is the origin of these params?

Thanks

Spirit

Paul, did you really mean to write MSAA rather than SMAA (which is yet another post processing AA method)?

Um.. yes, Rod. MSAA. I became "somewhat heated" (again) when I read the post, as the subject has been done to death over hundreds of posts.

it seems to me in that some sweetFX runtime dll, which 'enhances' the FSX rendering pipeline, comes to life and applies AA when it sees certain driver profile settings, regardless of the user interface settings.

Hmmm. Maybe.. It would seem akin to the application's (FSX) AA control, but I think in SFX's case, it would still be a post process, and still similar to the NI FXAA.

(Spirit) Nice to see that you're still busy with DX10. Keep on the good work.

:) Thank you, Spirit, but no - I'm not active in DX10 any more. "Life" got in the way over this last year, and testing, reading, learning, communicating, forum work - became almost a full-time job.

(Spirit) Just stumbled over these 2 params you mentioned. I never saw them before and wonder if they would work also in P3D v2.x. I've to check it. Where is the origin of these params?

????????    Aaaarghh!! My friend - how could you have missed this - the most important piece of information in the DX10 How-To Guide!!!   :lol:

These two lines are automagically plonked into your cfg file when you set the AA in the retail Fixer setup screens. They are also DX10-specific, and - as P3D uses DX11 (DX10 on steroids) - I'm pretty sure that LM will have worked around the issue of driver-controlled AA. (I don't have P3D)

Here's a shot of the page taken from some updating which I did to my old guide, earlier in the year - but bear in mind - this may be different from Adam's How-To, as it's his guide now, and I don't wish to be seen as telling him how to write it. I also didn't pursue the technical reason for the "ground shadow anomaly", other than finding what appeared to be a fix for it, but Steve may well have an explanation. I'm not sure how may users experienced this, either: whether it was a general issue, or specific to some drivers, or what.

Anyway - from the Old Fart - all the Best to everyone!

pj

???????? Aaaarghh!! My friend - how could you have missed this - the most important piece of information in the DX10 How-To Guide!!! :lol:

These two lines are automagically plonked into your cfg file when you set the AA in the retail Fixer setup screens. They are also DX10-specific, and - as P3D uses DX11 (DX10 on steroids) - I'm pretty sure that LM will have worked around the issue of driver-controlled AA. (I don't have P3D)

Hi Paul,

well, how could I've missed that? :lol: No FSX anymore on my rig - only P3D v2.4.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time to answer my question.

You should try P3D v2.x and as they have a very good refund policy it would be without any cost for you. I guess you would like it too as I did. Well, than you would have to pay it. ^_^

Have a good time

Spirit