Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

OMG!...the FINEST night rendered scene in ANY flight simulator...

Two gigs on the card, and screen res is native monitor resolution. When I change it, weirdness happens. Of course, I normally run with real weather. For the video, I set it to clear, CAVOK, with 100 mile visibility to try to compensate for whatever compression YouTube put on it,  so that's why the frames are crawling and the memory is peaking so high. My normal frame rate is 25-30, and visibility has no effect on whether or not the lights pop in, with the exception of low visibility where the popping is hidden by haze, fog, and/or clouds.

I have a feeling this is just a part of the sim. There was a similar thing in Ultimate Terrain for FSX where the point light streetlights would pop in and out in blocks similar to this. It just wasn't as drastic.

Just wondering since the sim gets weird as you approach Vram exhaustion. You could probably turn your settings up a notch without affecting framerate if you cut your textures down from extreme resolution. 

And I read your screen-size incorrectly. It was fuzzy and I thought I was seeing 3000-something

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just for my own curiosity's sake, I've turned textures down to the lowest, turned off 3D bump maps, gritty texture details, and trees and just left roads, objects, road traffic, and view distance the same, with HDR w/ light scattering on. 350 MB of VRAM used. Light pop was identical. I'm now pretty convinced it's in the sim itself and not a setting. :( Kind of a shame, too. I've always wanted to do a twilight SADDE6 approach into LAX like that video that was popular a couple of years ago. The lightscape is what gave it the wow factor.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Just for my own curiosity's sake, I've turned textures down to the lowest, turned off 3D bump maps, gritty texture details, and trees and just left roads, objects, road traffic, and view distance the same, with HDR w/ light scattering on. 350 MB of VRAM used. Light pop was identical. I'm now pretty convinced it's in the sim itself and not a setting. :( Kind of a shame, too. I've always wanted to do a twilight SADDE6 approach into LAX like that video that was popular a couple of years ago. The lightscape is what gave it the wow factor.

Strange. Mine doesn't pop in sections like That at all........... There is a cutoff but its pretty far out.

mm5o.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

What was your altitude? I used the slew plugin to get up to an arbitrary point in my video, but I believe it was around 3500'. Lower altitudes make it less obvious due to perspective.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Regarding the pop-in and pop-out. I also haven't seen it behave like this, but I do get it popping in/out in the distance, and it's all related to the LOD setting on OSM2XP. I lowered it from the default 20km so that it wouldn't kill my frames, and although it isn't at all noticable during the day, at night the loading is quite obvious. However, it loads as you approach it, and not in large squares such as you are seeing. I'm not sure what's happening there.

I figure a video is better than a picture in this case:

Airports and vehicle lights are visible before the street/city lights pop in.

I dont have the lights mod installed so my lights are not anywhere near as bright as your but I did loan an aircraft in to the same position as yours going towards KLAX at 5500ft and got the same thing, sections that are dark sprang in to life as I approached them.

I figure a video is better than a picture in this case:

Airports and vehicle lights are visible before the street/city lights pop in.

I don't get that popping at all at 'high'. I also have my airports at extreme. I have in fact never seen that in XPX!!!!   My view out to the horizon, just forms as from a fade-in, rather than block that pop up as you have.  Wow...again, have never seen that.  Check out my system specs, and with those specs, as I move along a flight path, the next from left-to-right and POV outward to the horizon just forms in. It has always done it that way.  I wonder if it could be your system's sub-system hardware?

You are most right though,...if I had that pop/block rendering, I would not even be able to use the sim platform. That would be fatal to myself....:(

I hope you find a way to alleviate that.

Pop in is more noticeable with HDR off. With it on autogen tends to fade into view rather than pop.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I really don't think it is in the sim, or I and everybody else would suffer this. There is something unique to your system, that I believe is causing this rendering.  Your card?  Your CPU? The driver suite you are running it with?   Again, I have never had that rendering issue since the day I installed XPX. I sure hope you figure it out....!

What was your altitude? I used the slew plugin to get up to an arbitrary point in my video, but I believe it was around 3500'. Lower altitudes make it less obvious due to perspective.

Not sure of the height.... 2000' and change, I believe. I just climbed like heck, then went in circles trying to recreate your issue.

Pop in is more noticeable with HDR off. With it on autogen tends to fade into view rather than pop.

I have HDR on, but even with it off things don't pop in in sections like that for me.....

Devons rig

Maybe you should post your rendering settings (screenshot) here too ...

@JonRD463 Climed to over 5000' still nothing like what you are seeing.

yifo.jpg

My settings. (for this hour!)  :lol:

kbp5.jpg

Devons rig

I've been trying different settings, none of which have stopped the popping. Here's where they're at now:

g03q.jpg

I've been trying different settings, none of which have stopped the popping. Here's where they're at now:

g03q.jpg

At those settings, you should have no popping of texture updating to the monitor. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this! I would suggest a total deletion of your XPX folder as I suspect a fatal corruption has occurred. I'll bet that if you do a complete virgin reinstall, this rendering problem will be past you. A suggestion...

At those settings, you should have no popping of texture updating to the monitor. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this! I would suggest a total deletion of your XPX folder as I suspect a fatal corruption has occurred. I'll bet that if you do a complete virgin reinstall, this rendering problem will be past you. A suggestion...

Which sounds a little bit like voodoo .... if there would be some "fatal corruption", then it would be much more likely that x-plane would completely crash or what ever.

I would recommend a simpler step to begin with. Please move away ALL of the contents in your Custom Scenery folder (no need to delete, just move it out of the way) and then try again ... just in case.

I also see, that your graphics hardware might not be one of the more powerful (but in theory, should be enough at your settings).