Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

OMG!...the FINEST night rendered scene in ANY flight simulator...

When I was a kid, when my uncle came from CT to visit, he would take the family on "trips"

This usually meant long drives in the coolness of the evening, ending up inevitably at some scenic spot, usually the shore, looking across the water at the lights of some town or city, usually New Jersey as Seen from New York. I have strong memory's of the sight of the city at night, the lights playing on the water.

Even now, I am a strong "Visual" flyer; drawn to images like that, so I can certainly understand the attractions to those lights in the night!  :smile: 

Me too, Dev.  When we lived in L.A., Dad would take us up into the Santa Andrea's at sunset, and we would look out over the Valley. Awesome site, so like you, when I downloaded all the OMG elements, and took that first flight out of KFNT....I still have a bruise on my jaw from the computer desk.... :)    I'm very much drawn to contrasting light and dark.  XPX can not be TOUCHED for bringing you night operation realism...especially the traffic and its CORRECT speed-of-travel.  I could never get used to FSX's traffic almost beating me down the road as I'm doing 350 knots, LOLOLOLOLOL!   Yeah, yeah..I even used that traffic speed app someone made, and it didn't do much of anything, lol.   There are so many reasons to have a copy of XPX on your drive....and I won't preach to the choir any further, lol......

BTW, both pics at GAMMA 1.5, and chopped through the Rez Shredder.  (weep....cry....)  'cause they in NO WAY resemble the clarity, depth, that the original screen capture (roughly 3.23 MB) puts out, but it is,what it is....just here to show the gamma strength, and not what XPX can truly punch out....

Those look like the original cloud puffs. You might gain a few frames with Jspahns CloudMaxx textures. The Ones that come with the HDR 2 package are also relatively huge and if you use all of them (Like the high-def taxiways) you are sure to take a hit. (well at least I sure did)

I have been mixing and matching while looking very carefully at the texture sizes.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Those look like the original cloud puffs. You might gain a few frames with Jspahns CloudMaxx textures. The Ones that come with the HDR 2 package are also relatively huge and if you use all of them (Like the high-def taxiways) you are sure to take a hit. (well at least I sure did)

I have been mixing and matching while looking very carefully at the texture sizes.

Yes, those two pics were taken with the standard cloud sets.  I grabbed them as they were low rez'ed already from my XPX main folder.. They were also my standard Gamma 1.5 setting, so thought to include them in the post. My clouds are now from the HDR pack. I'll look at Jspahn's CloudMaxx textures for sure.  Thanks for the pointer :)

"...and that is why I mostly do not upload pics when those request of me." - Sesquashtwo

I always figured it was just shear laziness on your part... And boy was I right.

"...and that is why I mostly do not upload pics when those request of me." - Sesquashtwo

I always figured it was just shear laziness on your part... And boy was I right.

LOL!   "Nah...I just every few thousand years...break down on my 'cardinal rule"...

"Today, the spirit moved me to post them.....:)"

I am getting a lot of blue casts over buildings after 6PM. I think it might have somehting to do with being near water (KSAN, KSFO, etc) but it seems a little too much.. it lingers all night but gradually gets less and less until AM So I am also assuming it is related to the moon. Is this to be considered normall or did I install something wrong or have some settings that need tweaking?

snapshot attached

I am getting a lot of blue casts over buildings after 6PM. I think it might have somehting to do with being near water (KSAN, KSFO, etc) but it seems a little too much.. it lingers all night but gradually gets less and less until AM So I am also assuming it is related to the moon. Is this to be considered normall or did I install something wrong or have some settings that need tweaking?

It could be related to moon. Try changing the date to +/- 2 weeks and see if it's still there. At least this way we can isolate the origin of the issue.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

SilverLining (on which SkyMaxx is based) can apply shading from other light-sources (like the moon) to a scene. No idea if this is fully implemented yet, or whether its actually just reflections......

http://sundog-soft.com/sds/features/real-time-3d-clouds/

The moon also acts as a light source in SilverLining™, and its position and phase is simulated and affects your outdoor scenes as well. On dark nights, especially bright planets or stars are also subjected to a physically-based glare simulation, which is also offloaded to your graphics card as a shader.

Your outdoor scenes include more than just the sky and clouds. SilverLining™ can help you accurately light everything else.

The SilverLining™ library will return to you the same directional and ambient light information it uses to illuminate its own clouds. This light information is subjected to a sophisticated tone mapping operation; the actual range of luminance between day and night is much more than a computer monitor or projector can display.

SilverLining™ actually simulates how the human eye and brain responds to light, so for example – moonlit nighttime scenes still remain visible (but without color perception and with a blue shift). Night smoothly turns into day, with a warm glow from the rising sun illuminating your scene.

Physically-based outdoor scene lighting provided by SilverLining™ lends extra realism to your outdoor scenes. Your moonlit nights will look just like humans perceive them and expect them to look, and daytime scenes will take on the proper hues from the direct sunlight and scattered, ambient skylight.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Which scenery is this? It looks great. It doesn't look like the one I have by Ted Davis found here http://theosdavis.com/xpfiles/downloads_v10.html

I'd like to get this one if I can.

Sorry, it is a custom mashup of payware along with conversions to XP10 lighting objects.  I did this while experimenting with WED editor and HDR lighting.

I also find the colors a bit off when going to day time to dusk and vice versa, its either too blue or too red. I may have to use the default skycolors because I'm currently using Sabachs HDR update v2 which includes the modified colors.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Sorry, it is a custom mashup of payware along with conversions to XP10 lighting objects.  I did this while experimenting with WED editor and HDR lighting.

Ahh I like the lights over the parking structures

I also find the colors a bit off when going to day time to dusk and vice versa, its either too blue or too red. I may have to use the default skycolors because I'm currently using Sabachs HDR update v2 which includes the modified colors.

Ya way too blue at night. Other than that everything looks great. I have hdr off

Is this night replacement lighting better than the default and the one made by chrisk? I'd like to know what it does better than those 2?

Is there a way to tone down the blue taxi lights? They stand out wayyyy too much while flying high up in the air, almost reminds me of the blue dots on a pac man game.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Does anyone have this anymore? It's not available anymore.