Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

The "Stalker Economy Here to Stay" - CNN Article

Here is an article that everyone here should probably read.

(CNN) -- Google recently announced that it would start including individual users' names and photos in some ads. This means that if you rate some product positively, your friends may see ads for that product with your name and photo attached -- without your knowledge or consent. Meanwhile, Facebook is eliminating a feature that allowed people to retain some portions of their anonymity on its website.

These changes come on the heels of Google's move to explore replacing tracking cookies with something that users have even less control over. Microsoft is doing something similar by developing its own tracking technology.

More generally, lots of companies are evading the "Do Not Track" rules, ...

Read the entire article here:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/20/opinion/schneier-stalker-economy/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

Comments?

Oh well, thankfully I deleted my Facebook account nearly two years ago, also I think my Google+ account which I was forced to create to comment in Youtube doesn't even have my real name in it. 

I really hate how everything we do anywhere around internet should be connected for others to see. I want to keep different sites I use separate and I also keep my social life completely out of internet as much as possible. 

I always had the thought that thank god this technology and information was not available back in the 1930's prior to World War 2. In a future war and in the wrong hands this data could be disastrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthew Kane

Google's newish Youtube feature of trying to trick you into using your real name as your "avatar" is freaky stuff.   I see that as a reminder to carefully watch what I agree to when I use the web, as a user's identity and digital trail is why companies like Google and Facebook are worth billions.   Nothing in life is free, and these intrusions into a user's privacy is the price we pay for all the conveniences the web offers.

Google's newish Youtube feature of trying to trick you into using your real name as your "avatar" is freaky stuff.   I see that as a reminder to carefully watch what I agree to when I use the web, as a user's identity and digital trail is why companies like Google and Facebook are worth billions.   Nothing in life is free, and these intrusions into a user's privacy is the price we pay for all the conveniences the web offers.

Not to mention who these and other companies are allowing access for so called security reasons (excuses).

Mel

OMG that is so annoying. Everytime I go to youtube now, it asks me if I want to use my real name....how many times do I need to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

At my Tuesday Night Hockey game this week, a younger player asked me what my real name was.  I wouldn't tell him.  We've been playing together for years.

The use of nicknames or aliases is nothing new to hockey players.  I've played with Moose, Beaver, Hogman, Ten-speed, Charles-in-Charge, Tony the Chicken, Pumpkin, Buffalo and many others over the years.

Apparently Google are working on a bot to trawl the PMDG forums for user names. :lol:

www.antsairplanes.com

There was an article on LG smart tv,s that are collating viewing habits sending details of what you watch back to LG ,I wonder what else they can watch?

its everywhere ,

"According to Yorkshire, UK–based hacker  Doctor Beet the internet-enabled sets try to phone home to  LG every time a viewer changes the channel, giving the chaebol the ability to track exactly which channels are being watched, minute by minute."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/20/lg_smart_tv_data_collection/