Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

UTX and MegaSceneryEarth

I have seen a few threads on a few other boards about Ultimate Terrain X and MegaSceneryEarth working together.    Does anyone have any example photos of what this looks like?    The general response is that yes, you can use both at the same time, but you have to order them right and you will lose a lot of features of UTX but get the night lighting system of UTX.    Is that the extent of the compatibility?   Maybe PC Avivator can shed some final light on this.    I really want to be able to enhance night flying with MSE products since they have very limited night light texture support.    Anyone have some screen caps to show off these two products working in tandum?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Its a good question,  I just bought my first MSE product.  Washington state.  I also have Orbx installed that covers that area and UTX.

The Orbx region covers over the effects of UTX and I haven't a bloody clue what layer is showing through for night textures.

I was just flying in Yakima area and the night textures appeared to be fairly good but I don't exactly know what to expect

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Does anyone have any example photos of what this looks like?

I can try and post some shots tomorrow if you want to see what it looks like. I use a variety of versions of MegaScenery, like MegaScenery Dallas, Phoenix, Vegas, SoCal and MegaSceneryEarth v1 for Seattle, NY and Chicago since the first version came with night textures unlike the newer version.

The general response is that yes, you can use both at the same time, but you have to order them right and you will lose a lot of features of UTX but get the night lighting system of UTX.    Is that the extent of the compatibility?

Yes, when you use any photoreal scenery with UTX you lose all the feature where the photoscenery is since it covers all the vector data that UTX displays, except for the night lighting. Although that is ok since you wouldnt want to see UTX stuff on top of photoscenery anyway, since photoscenery is more realistic and better looking. You will still get the car traffic and lights though since those will still work with photoreal even though the UTX layers should be below your photoreal layers.

So basically, you will only see UTX roads, coastlines, and water bodies when you fly out of the photoreal coverage. Just dont put photoreal stuff below your UTX layers otherwise the roads and stuff will appear draped over you photoreal and wont look good.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will post some shots over Dallas going into DAL and DFW so you can see what it looks like since DAL is your home base and DFW is mine.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I look forward to seeing the shots of DFW.   Thanks for the responses.   I have become a huge fan of Photoscenery but would like that little extra punch.   If I can't have seasons I at least would like nice traffic patterns and lighting.    Hopefully the lights won't do what ORBX FTX lights do to me... they pop off and on in random patterns all around my craft.   I don't know why they do this now.  They use to stay solid and would slowly fade to life as they came into range but not anymore.  Now the POP into existence but wink out at random around my craft.   Probably a DX10 thing.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

That's MSE v2.0 Nevada with UTX?    If this is the typical results of UTX combined with MSE I am sold.     Let's see what DFW looks like at night!

100454.png

Brian Navy

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Photoreal Scenery Support Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Should be only in areas where MSE V2 is not installed.  In the PNW  I have FTX/Orbx PNW enabled and Wash State is lower in the Scenery Library so only FTX works there.  I like MSE V2 Wash State better than Orbx photoscenery but Orbx PNW comes with KSEA.  I know I can just enable KSEA and disable the rest of Orbx but too busy to mess with it right now.  If UTX works as good as the pictures above with the night lighting, that might be one solution everyone has been looking for to get night lighting in MSE V2.  The developers said they would issue a patch with night lighting though but we don't know when that will happen (if ever).  I have all versions of UTX and might reinstall the USA one but just worried about performance issues.  I also have P3DV2 Professional and that's going to take some time to get use to that new update.  At least the MSE V2 scenery work great in P3D.  Only need to add them to your Scenery Library.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I look forward to seeing the shots of DFW.

Keep in mind that the Dallas product he's talking about is the older MegasceneryX line which included night lighting and night textures as well as autogen.  MegaSceneryX, Megascenery Earth v1 and and MSE v2 are all different product lines, so be careful about what you're being shown before you draw conclusions.

As for UTX night lighting, it seems to "bleed through" in most places I've tried, but as a rule my solution to the photo/night thing has been to not fly nights in places I have pure photo (pure as opposed to a hybrid like the MSX products which work great at night), but I recall seeing reports of that not working in some areas.

In the PNW I have FTX/Orbx PNW enabled and Wash State is lower in the Scenery Library so only FTX works there.

Jim, are you sure about this?  This clashes with information in the Orbx compatibility forum which suggests that photoscenery always overrides landclass if it's enabled, even if the landclass is higher priority in the library.  Before Orbx NRM came out, someone did a writeup on exactly which tiles from the first MSE WA product could be enabled to butt-up against Orbx PNW to overcome this.

Scott

Jim, are you sure about this? This clashes with information in the Orbx compatibility forum which suggests that photoscenery always overrides landclass if it's enabled, even if the landclass is higher priority in the library. Before Orbx NRM came out, someone did a writeup on exactly which tiles from the first MSE WA product could be enabled to butt-up against Orbx PNW to overcome this.

You are totally correct.  I have always been under the assumption that anything higher in the scenery library trumps anything below it and it does except in this case.  This is my first with photoscenery in Orbx/FTX regions.  Thanks for the correction and apologize for any confusion I might have caused.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Any objects hand placed will be seen on top of photoscenery. That includes all Orbx airports, any cities, partial airports, landmarks, partial cities, hand placed trees, etc...

That's MSE v2.0 Nevada with UTX?    If this is the typical results of UTX combined with MSE I am sold.     Let's see what DFW looks like at night!

I do want to correct my statement about MSE V2.0 in the Vegas photo. I had forgotten that I also was using Megascenery X Las Vegas with MSE V2 and UTX hence the ground textures showing some night lighting.

When using MSE and UTX you will still get the numerous 3d lights shown in the photo but the rest of the city ground textures will appear pitch black.

If you use UTX and Megascenery X Dallas along with UTX, Dallas will appear as in my photo with the additional ground lighting. The 3d lights is all that I have turned on in UTX currently.

The Metroplex should look spectacular with this combo.

Make sure UTX is higher in your scenery cfg than the photoscenery.