Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

huge fps spikes

One second I'm getting 60 fps then it dips to 25 back to 60 then to 45 basicly its all over the place what's the cause of this?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

One second I'm getting 60 fps then it dips to 25 back to 60 then to 45 basicly its all over the place what's the cause of this?

You're hitting your VRAM wall..  When you hit your VRAM wall it turns to borrowing system RAM which is MUUUUCH slower..  

In your case

Your cards  (VRAM) memory clock = 6008MHz

Average persons system RAM = 1600MHz or lower

So when it uses up all its VRAM it's like borrowing money from a loan shark.. You're gonna get hit hard unless you pay it back. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

If he was hitting his VRAM limits, it's be more like 1 maybe 2 FPS.

You don't get FPS that are still in ANY WAY playable when VRAM is exhausted.

Regards,

Brian Doney

You're hitting your VRAM wall.. When you hit your VRAM wall it turns to borrowing system RAM which is MUUUUCH slower..

In your case your case

Your cards (VRAM) memory clock = 6008MHz

Average persons system RAM = 1600MHz or lower

So when it uses up all its VRAM it's like borrowing money from a loan shark.. You're gonna get hit hard unless you pay it back.

I upgraded my card but forgot to update my info I have a 4Gb gtx770 I sure hope it isn't running out of vram

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

If he was hitting his VRAM limits, it's be more like 1 maybe 2 FPS.

You don't get FPS that are still in ANY WAY playable when VRAM is exhausted.

Nah..  I've hit my VRAM wall in many games..(including P3D v2 when I had it)   Skyrim with addons is notorious for it.. Go from 60FPS down to 30-20.. Assassins Creed 4 goes from 60 down to 34. Just gotta dial back the AA a bit.. 

I upgraded my card but forgot to update my info I have a 4Gb gtx770 I sure hope it isn't running out of vram

Then I'm out of ideas.. I would hope you're not hitting a 4GB wall myself.  :lol:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

It isn't.

You're initial post is a little sparse on details.

Have you reviewed your settings yet ?

Nah..  I've hit my VRAM wall in many games..   Skyrim with addons is notorious for it.. Go from 60FPS down to 30-20..

Then I'm out of ideas.. I would hope you're not hitting a 4GB wall myself.  :lol:

No, you haven't, at least not by your description.

What you are describing is NOT VRAM exhaustion.

No debate to be had here. That presents n ONE way, and it isn't what you are describing.

Period, end of story, no room for yours or anyone else's "interpretation".

EDIT: Just to add, I didn't mean that to come across anywhere near as forceful as it did, now that I've read it. My apologies for that. There is no room for debate here though,

Regards,

Brian Doney

Shadows medium aircraft interior and exterior only. water high, no AI, tessalsation medium,textures Max, AA maxed, texture radius high,hdr on,lens flare on.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

What I meant was, P3D2 is till very new to all of us. You're going to have to review your own settings to find out what works best for your system.

It's gonna be a bit difficult to make anything more than very general recommendations for a bit. So, shadows, autogen, LOD Radius are good starting points.

Regards,

Brian Doney

A little off topic here, but I bought 1600Mhz RAM when I ordered my comp a while back but it was clocked at 1333 in BIOS and I never changed it because I was too worried that they put in the wrong RAM I ordered and if I changed it then my comp wouldn't boot up. If I changed my RAM i bios to 1600, would I get better performance? Sorry if it sounds nooby.

1333 to 1600 would be noticeable in benchmark situations only.

That said, no reason not to do it, but don't expect much if anything.

Regards,

Brian Doney

A little off topic here, but I bought 1600Mhz RAM when I ordered my comp a while back but it was clocked at 1333 in BIOS and I never changed it because I was too worried that they put in the wrong RAM I ordered and if I changed it then my comp wouldn't boot up. If I changed my RAM i bios to 1600, would I get better performance? Sorry if it sounds nooby.

You shouldn't be too worried about that. All modern motherboards have a way to return to safe (bootable) settings.

Usually involves removing the power cord or switching the PC OFF right when it starts to boot. Happens very often when people try overclocking CPU, hence the need for the feature.

A long, long time ago, you'd have needed to open the PC case and physically reset a jumper or temporarily remove the battery in order to reset BIOS.

I agree P3D2 really exhibits a wide variance of FPS performance.  External Frame Rate limiting is essential in P3D2 in my opinion.  (nVidia Inspector or RadeonPro accordingly).

I can cure the wild fps fluctuations and its very very easy.. turn off the fps counter that comes with the sim. See when its turned off you dont get the fps fluctuations anymore :)

If you need to know what your fps is, use something like fraps.

-Paul-

Do you have vsync enabled? Assume you would....

I think I have read on the p3d site that because of vsync p3d is trying to meet 60fps but as it can't consistently it defaults down to 45/30/20/15 fps. I think that's what I read....it made sense to me at the time.

J

Jason Jackett

Do you have vsync enabled? Assume you would....

I think I have read on the p3d site that because of vsync p3d is trying to meet 60fps but as it can't consistently it defaults down to 45/30/20/15 fps. I think that's what I read....it made sense to me at the time.

J

45 30 ect were just random numbers I picked to discribe the issue in reality they are numbers like 47.4 or 53.8 or 23.7 basicly just a random assorment of numbers that charge thosands of times a minute even with vsync and tripple buffering. I selected an aero theme so it should be on but vsync still don't work like it should

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.