Sign in to follow this  
bic

777 in strong crosswind

News Anchor:  "They were seconds away from disaster."

News Outlet's own "Aviation Expert":  "I confirm, Bob.  In fact, we are getting reports that a woman on board the aircraft had vomited during this dangerous approach."

two attempts then a divert from Birmingham all the way back down to a windy Gatwick approach? yeah I'd call that pretty damn unusual! They must have burnt most of the reserves by the time they pulled into the gate

+1

Just about a year ago a Lufthansa A321 made two unsuccessful approaches into Geneva (due to extreme crosswinds). Diverting took the plane close to absolut limits concerning fuel reserves as it was later officially stated.

So here, with the T7, the "tragedy" is not the outside view of an aborted landing. It is more the oncoming list of events emerging by a diversion within a continent sized area of high wind speeds of 50 kts with gusts of 100  80 kts or more...

That IS dramatic, not the missed approach itself.

Always happy landings,

Claus

EDIT: in autumn 2011 a storm system also called "xaver" reached 100 kts or more...

Good call by the Captain. Better safe than sorry.

Question. Can the plane adjust itself like that to the wind on autoland or is it all manual piloting in these situations?

Question. Can the plane adjust itself like that to the wind on autoland or is it all manual piloting in these situations?

Depends on how bad the winds are, as there are crosswind limitations for autoland.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

it varies depending on the company SOP, 40knots is the crosswind limit if handlflying.

25 knots if auto landing in CAT II/III conditions.

40 knots if Auto landing in CAT I conditions

Rob Prest