Sign in to follow this  
Luis_KMIA

Just started testing NGX w/ Active Sky Next!

One thing that I don't like of ASN is when I see broken clouds.. if my plane enters a hole between clouds.. I should see everything clear.. but suddently a fade to white view ocurs like if I where inside the cloud (but I am not supposed to be). What I am doing wroing?

By the way... Hopes PMDG and other aircrafts makes now the weather radar that never did because they said it was useless because FSX limitations.

Thanks for the marvelous experience! Hope to see the "hole" fade to white issue answered.

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

Of all of the weather engines I've tried "Opus" is the only one that provides detailed and accurate weather and related effects without unexpected wind shifts, cloud popping, and other immersion-killing issues. And no, I'm not a beta tester for the program.

"As we have already stated, 95%+ of what our competitors are now claiming as new additions, OpusFSX has already implemented them and has been using the features for a long time now. Such are the advantages of the use of Dynamic Weather Themes, the weather injection method Opus invented and pioneered and our competitors are now emulating."

That's funny. I use opus and get crazy wind shifts. Tried ASN on two flights and have not had it occur yet. Noticed more cloud popping with opus as well. Not saying Opus is a bad product because its not, but this person's experience does not match mine. 

I was a long standing ActiveSky user but shifted to Opus.

As I still have (multiple) ActiveSky products installed, I qualify for the reduced price upgrade to Next, so I'll definitely have a look at the free demo.  I suspect I'll stick with Opus and its new update but I'm glad to see HiFi back in the market and wish them every success.

PS I NEVER get wind shifts in Opus using the default settings.  Some have reported excessive SAT's (or TAT's) at altitude although haven't seen it.  Now that IS something I suffered from with ActiveSky and to be honest, I wasn't happy at all that it was put down to a bug in FSX - overcoming those is why we buy add-ons isn't it?  However, I believe Opus are now saying the same thing, so I do owe HiFi an apology on that one.    

ngxu_banner.png

I'm fairly certain that once you have tried ASN properly you won't go back, no matter what weather engine you are using now. I've not seen a wind shift or temperature problem in previous Hifi product for years, but you did have to use DWC mode which had drawbacks, not so anymore in ASN as you can see for yourself in the many positive testaments on the forum from the last 40 something hours since release.

Cheers, Andy.

Guest BeaverDriver

To Sierra Hotel (SH - is that short for something - like did you forget a couple of letters :huh: ??)

I usually try to stay away from posts like yours because they are so obviously biased in the wrong direction that it's pointless to argue them. I also think it's done intentionally to stir the pot. However, I have both Opus and AS (ASE, AS2012, ASN - in fact I go back to when Chris Willis was doing just clouds for FS98 I believe). What you are saying is nothing short of absolute BS. ASN recreates/simulates turbulence extremely well (as well as any 2D sim can - until you've flown a real plane frequently enough, you don't have anything to compare with), it prevents ALL wind shifts, it stops cloud popping, it gives you solid overcasts if you use the Enhance Overcast feature (although it does nail frame, but not as heavily as does Opus), and so on and so on. Further, HiFi has been around a whoooole lot longer than Opus, and one of the things that turned me off Opus was their "lofty" claims that they have suddenly surpassed everyone else, which they most certainly haven't. I'm not going to slag Opus here though because they have done some good things and aren't deserving of that kind of disrespect, the likes of which you are showing HiFi. Just remember - it's awfully easy to sit back and develop something from the "fifth floor" when someone else has built the first four, and HiFi have built the first four floors AND the basement, and are still building. Something to keep in mind.

Now, this is still an NGX forum so for a bit of a preliminary review of ASN that includes the Boeing 737-600, please go to http://z13.invisionfree.com/Bushpounders_Flying/index.php?showtopic=2704&st=0entry22963822

In the mean time, just a couple of samples:

CP202-1.jpg

CP202-3.jpg

CP202-5.jpg

Is turbulence realistic under ASN?

Last night I was crossing the eastern US on my PMDG 777 from Germany to Atlanta.  The jetstream was about about 130 knots coming at my nose from the two o'clock position. The airplane was swaying moderately in many instances.  It's definitely more realistic.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Seems like Opus are always one jump ahead:-

Cloud Popping ... Problem Solved

The new 3.38.0 beta due to be posted tomorrow looks like it is going to put an end to ALL major cloud popping by preserving all of the cloud coverage that surrounds the aircraft. The new Cloud Smoothing software designed for the OpusFSI upgrade has been incorporated into OpusFSX to make sure it can be used without any delay.

With the knowledge we have gained and the various anti wind shift measures we have incorporated into OpusFSX we are now very confident that the new Dynamic Wind Targeting software in OpusFSI will virtually eliminate ALL wind shifts. This is all without resorting to globalising the weather, so still the same varied and detailed Opus weather.

Pseudo Cloud Effects ...

We have a number of typical meteorological cloud layering effects that we will be looking to incorporate into the LWE. These layers occur regularly in nature but do not normally appear in the METARs so we will most likely add an option to enable them in the Weather Preferences dialog. Users who want to minimise the cloud layers can then leave the option disabled.

Its all looking very good for 2014.

This is on the fringes of being SPAM. He already posted it in the Opus forum as well. It has no place in this discussion here.

Bill

This is my first (ASN) weather program and i was skeptical. For the first time I really enjoyed the weather. Flying an ILS approach into KGEG in my PMDG 738WL I was totally impressed with the fog and clouds. I have a new interest in FSX. Well done Hi-Fi!

The only thing that bothers me about ASN (and other AS products) is that you can't get temperatures displayed in Fahrenheit.  It's not hard to convert but it would be nice to have the option.

I bought ASN with 5 days remaining on the trial.. FPS are fantastic, weathe rdepiciton fantastic.

My only thing that I want to mention is that I mirrored my As2012 settings as I think the default ASN settings are a little too hard on performance

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

ASN is not AS2012, please see the performance considerations section of the manual for more information. You certainly shouldn't be trying to mirror your settings from previous products when relevant.

Cheers, Andy.

I and another pilot in our VA are experiencing an issues with Active Sky Next.  We are not sure it relates to Active Sky Next, but experienced the problem with the PMDG 737NGX after installing Active Sky Next. I have never had this problem with NGX before loading Active Sky Next.

The first flight I made a flight with the PMDG 737-800 NGX after installing Active Sky Next I did it with the engines running.  Everything worked fine.  The next day I started a flight from cold and dark with the PMDG 737-800 NGX.  I could not get the #1 engine to start.  The overhead panel showed low oil pressure light.  I tried everything to start the #1 engine.  Nothing worked. That same afternoon I started the same flight but this time the engines were running.  I experienced no problem.  In both instances I had Active Sky 2012 and Active Sky Next running.

I have made flights with other aircraft from a cold and dark start with Active Sky 2012 and Active Sky Next.  I have no problems with engine starts.

The other pilot I mentioned is also having problems with engine start in the PMDG 737 NGX when using Active Sky Next.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Has this issued been reported to Hi-FI?  Thank you in advance. 

I and another pilot in our VA are experiencing an issues with Active Sky Next.  We are not sure it relates to Active Sky Next, but experienced the problem with the PMDG 737NGX after installing Active Sky Next. I have never had this problem with NGX before loading Active Sky Next.

The first flight I made a flight with the PMDG 737-800 NGX after installing Active Sky Next I did it with the engines running.  Everything worked fine.  The next day I started a flight from cold and dark with the PMDG 737-800 NGX.  I could not get the #1 engine to start.  The overhead panel showed low oil pressure light.  I tried everything to start the #1 engine.  Nothing worked. That same afternoon I started the same flight but this time the engines were running.  I experienced no problem.  In both instances I had Active Sky 2012 and Active Sky Next running.

I have made flights with other aircraft from a cold and dark start with Active Sky 2012 and Active Sky Next.  I have no problems with engine starts.

The other pilot I mentioned is also having problems with engine start in the PMDG 737 NGX when using Active Sky Next.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Has this issued been reported to Hi-FI?  Thank you in advance. 

I always start from cold and dark with 737ngx and asn and have never had that issue. 

In both instances I had Active Sky 2012 and Active Sky Next running.

That's probably your problem right there. You're not supposed to have AS2012 and ASN running at the same time.

Jim Burke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator