Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Rex 4 broke PMDG lights?

After long hours of testing I found the reason why taxi/landing lights on my NGX are dimmed - it is Rex 4 hd runway textures. What is funny - in Rex essentials + od everything is okay when I am using essentials rwy textures. So what is actually going on here? Is there any way to fix it? Rex 4 rwy looks better but I cannot see anything during taxiing.

Impossible. Whatever you're encountering has nothing to do with REX.

Well - it seems that beam of lights on runway is dependent on runway textures (at least from what I have read). Whenever I am installing REX 3 texture - everything is fine. When I go REX 4 - PMDG lights are dimmed. So I am wondering what else can it be...

My guess is that REX has overwritten the light files, this happens as REX includes lighting textures for aircraft strobes. Repair your PMDG installations and it should be fine.

I already tried that and disabled REX 3 lights so It won't change them - no luck. On default PMDG lights: REX 3 fine REX 4 dimmed. I am completely lost.

I've had a similar problem before, years ago, and an overwrite, as t-bergman said above, must be what is happening.  Don't have Rex4 but did you allow it to make a backup? 

I don't remember with certainty but I think the file that gets overwritten, and screws things up is either called fx_1.bmp or fx_2.bmp, which are used in the fx files of many airplanes, likely including PMDG.  If you have a backup of FSX, you might want to copy these files back in and see if it helps.  Maybe ask in the PMDG forums if they make use of either of these 2 files in their landing light effect.

I'll bet if n4gix (fr Bill) sees this he could probably provide some insight into this too, because he knows about lights, so maybe he can confirm if what I've said above is a useful theory about why your lights are screwed up.

Lesson: Never let REX mess with your lights!!!!

*edit* maybe check the dates on fx_1 and fx_2 and see if they have been changed recently.  The created and modified date on my files is 26 July 2006, confirming that they are the original FSX.

Wow... That is not good. Isn't the dx10 stevefx fixer changing those files? Maybe it is the reason? I am currently on dx10 with fixer applied. TBH I am positive that this did not happen with Rex 3 which was changing the lights. Rex 4 is not changing them so my old lights from REX 3 should still be there.

But the two files You have mentioned.. According to Dx10 scenery fixer forum they are part of the package (at least from what I understand)

I am using the fixer, and my lights work fine. I just checked the files myself. Check the settings in the fixer, and make sure you have not turned something off

But, you said "What is funny - in Rex essentials + od everything is okay when I am using essentials rwy textures."

So not sure what you are doing here ?

The NGX lights are built into the model and cant be overwritten by any texture replacement programs halo.bmp or spotlight.bmp, its impossible.

Only a/c that use the old style landing or taxi lights can be affected by changing the textures.

The only thing I can think of is that the OP installed darker taxiway or runway textures which makes the NGX lights look dimmer due to them being darker.

• Upvote 1

The NGX lights are built into the model and cant be overwritten by any texture replacement programs halo.bmp or spotlight.bmp, its impossible.

Only a/c that use the old style landing or taxi lights can be affected by changing the textures.

The only thing I can think of is that the OP installed darker taxiway or runway textures which makes the NGX lights look dimmer due to them being darker.

Your theory about the darker runway textures may be correct (and Mephic should check it out methinks), but I don't think it is impossible that it is the light files themselves, because even PMDG lights defined from within the model, might make use of one of the FSX standard .bmps in the effects/texture folder

@badfinger I am just asking because I try to search for solution.

Jim, King - thank You for suggestion I will post some screenshots with different rwy textures so You can tell me if it looks the same on Your pc. Will get back with them soon. Thank You!

Problem is FIXED. 

It seems that particular REX 4 runway textures are the culprit here. 

The darker ones makes the lights almost invisible. The brighter ones are fine. So it is REX 4 Direct and it is the reason. Still it has brighter textures sets so I am fine now. :) 

Just as an example - set 01 is good. Set 02 - lights dimmed. Set 03 - lights almost invisible. 

• Upvote 1

Impossible. Whatever you're encountering has nothing to do with REX.

Appears it is. I understand you defending your product, but you did jump the gun a bit. After all, Mephic is a customer, and you should have at least offered suggestions.

@up nevermind. I adore this product anyway an I know I can always count on amazing Avsim community. Will perform further testing today with default planes.

It is not Rex 4 itself but particular runway texture sets. When I chose brightest ones everything is back to normal.

Appears it is. I understand you defending your product, but you did jump the gun a bit. After all, Mephic is a customer, and you should have at least offered suggestions.

That post put me off buying their product.

No, honestly, don't hesitate because of one post of someone from REX. TBH this product is full of awesome texture sets and changed my fsx together with dx 10, ASN and ftx global. When next month I will add fs global mesh and ftx vector this will be a perfect looking sim. Rex 4 direct is a king even if customer service sucks.

even if customer service sucks

That was uncalled for.  Is this the REX4 Support Forum?  Wasn't Tim the first one to respond to your topic?  He didn't have to.  Were you trolling?  You were doing well with your comments until you made this comment. 

@firehawk - I am sorry, went to far. But to be honest this is not a response You can expect from someone who sold You a product for real money not virtual ones. And this answer was... Yes, well... Virtual. No real input to the topic except "yes you paid but it's not our fault, bye".

You're the one who discovered it was the runway textures (with the help of Jim Burke) and I'm sure that Tim and the people at REX are happy someone was able to resolve your question.  Not many people see what you see on your computer.  Maybe because the monitor is brighter, display driver settings, etc.  In any case, REX has helped a lot of people solve their problems and frequently they are resolved here at AVSIM.  I hope you understand they are busy and the holidays mean reduced staffing with many celebrating with their families and friends.  I appreciate your response.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

http://i.imgur.com/l20sJCc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OR4v1Bu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4XwSFwj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X4Q0Dmk.jpg

Is this similar to the problem you had? I have full landing lights on and cannot see their effect on the runways.

Sometimes the light is also really far ahead of my plane. I did not have this issue until the day I installed Rex 4. Its the same for basically every plane I own.

http://i.imgur.com/l20sJCc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OR4v1Bu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4XwSFwj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X4Q0Dmk.jpg

Is this similar to the problem you had? I have full landing lights on and cannot see their effect on the runways.

Sometimes the light is also really far ahead of my plane. I did not have this issue until the day I installed Rex 4. Its the same for basically every plane I own.

Hi I'm also having the same problem with MD11 lighting can anyone help on this. I have tried restoring the backup on REX4 texture direct but it didn't solve anything any help is much appreciated 

regards

Ldee247