Sign in to follow this  
fencer

Delta to retire it's last DC-9 on Jan. 6, 2014

Talk of a workhorse...

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=2216

Do you remember your first flight in a DC-9 ?

Mine happened relatively late. Probably in the early 1980s if I remember well (I had flown in a bunch of jet and prop liners in the 60s and 70s - and even in a Connie in 1958 as a baby - but never had a chance to fly the DC-9 before).

Bruno

That's interesting.  They replace the DC9 with the B717... a modernized DC9-30.  I love it.

jetjerry

That's interesting.  They replace the DC9 with the B717... a modernized DC9-30.  I love it.

jetjerry

A VERY modernized DC9-30 indeed. So the DC9 lovers can say the DC9 isn't dead yet !

Interesting to note that, at the same time, Southwest are confirming that they will retire their B717s and go back to an all B737 fleet.

Bruno

I'll be happy when the last MD-80 leave the fleet where I work. 

Southwest are confirming that they will retire their B717s and go back to an all B737 fleet.

Makes sense from an operational standpoint, much cheaper and more efficient to operate a single type fleet. 

I'll be happy when the last MD-80 leave the fleet where I work. 

I suppose that's because they require a lot of maintenance ?

Bruno

A VERY modernized DC9-30 indeed. So the DC9 lovers can say the DC9 isn't dead yet !

Interesting to note that, at the same time, Southwest are confirming that they will retire their B717s and go back to an all B737 fleet.

Bruno

I believe that SWA sold all of AirTran's 717's to Delta last year, was sure what date the 'keys' were to be handed (if it hasn't hey happened) over but I'll guess some where around 1/6/14. I wonder if DAL will be flying with TRS livery until the fleet can be repainted

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

Hello.

My first flights with DC-9-40 Was during my military service in Norway 1978

Together with the C-130 Hercules, we was also transported a lot with he DC-9 between Gardermoen AB and Bardufoss AB.

At that time the SAS aircraft looked like this.

http://simviation.com//hjg/aircraft/douglas/dc-9-40/hjg_sas_dc-9-41_ln-rlc_gunnar_viking_1978.jpg

My latest flight with the MD-80 was in 2002, Tromsoe to Oslo.

SAS retired the last MD-80 in october 2013.

A very good Aircraft

Lars Peter.

Southwest are confirming that they will retire their B717s and go back to an all B737 fleet.

Bruno

Actually,  Southwest sold few 717s to Hawaiian Air and leased about 75 units of 717s to Delta.

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

My first DC9-32 flight was Air Canada,Toronto to Sault Ste Marie Ontario, 1969

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

My first flight in a DC-9 was actually my first flight ever--in June, 1971: CYQM - CYYZ (if my memory serves me correctly--I was 11 years old).

I remember that we sat very close to the front, and I remember thinking how steep the take-off was. 

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

I suppose that's because they require a lot of maintenance ?

Bruno

That's a part of the reason but they are also not really ground crew friendly especially for the lav techs. 

I believe that SWA sold all of AirTran's 717's to Delta last year, 

You're right . The deal (which btw is a lease, not a sale, as Aharon pointed out) was made last year (2012) and deliveries started in 2013 with Delta's fist B717 commercial flight happening in October 2013.

From what I read, in the short time span between october 2013 and the DC-9 retirement in January 2014, Delta will have been the only carrier to operate all major variations of the DC-9 simultaneously : DC-9, MD-88, MD-90, and the Boeing 717.

Bruno