Sign in to follow this  
dejavu1953

Only PMDG may build the new ATR-72-600

i hope PMDG can make an ATR 72-600, because its not many good ATR aircraft for fsx :sad:

Actually theres none..because Razbam failed to deliver..IDK why these developers just dont give the people what theyve been asking for for so long,.....Instead they waste time on vintage aircraft that hardly anybody will buy...Anywaqys whoever eventually developes a good ATR Series, will definitely reap the benefits.

Actually theres none..because Razbam failed to deliver..IDK why these developers just dont give the people what theyve been asking for for so long,.....Instead they waste time on vintage aircraft that hardly anybody will buy...Anywaqys whoever eventually developes a good ATR Series, will definitely reap the benefits.

Well, we already have an excellent Q400. Really similar to the ATR and more common. The ATR 72-600 just isn't very popular. The -500 would be a better choice imo, but still, it's not very popular anymore.

Well, we already have an excellent Q400. Really similar to the ATR and more common. The ATR 72-600 just isn't very popular. The -500 would be a better choice imo, but still, it's not very popular anymore.

Wrong - as much as I love the Q400 - 508 deliveries, vs 836 ATR72 of which the -600 is only really a minor avionics and systems upgrade. In fact, the -500 and -600 are still type-certified as -212A I believe. The -600 only started flying in 2009, vs 1999 for the Q400. So a bit unfair to say the ATR is less popular... with a 10 year gap in their production life. That's like saying the A350-900 is less popular than the 777-200ER.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the Q400 and am very happy we have an excellent sim of one.

• Upvote 1

Wrong - as much as I love the Q400 - 508 deliveries, vs 836 ATR72 of which the -600 is only really a minor avionics and systems upgrade. In fact, the -500 and -600 are still type-certified as -212A I believe. The -600 only started flying in 2009, vs 1999 for the Q400. So a bit unfair to say the ATR is less popular... with a 10 year gap in their production life. That's like saying the A350-900 is less popular than the 777-200ER.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the Q400 and am very happy we have an excellent sim of one.

PMDG does aircraft(with the exfeption of DC-6) that are common around the world. In that case, no the ATR is not very common. Look at thr number of ATRs still in use today. There are only a few ATR flying in the US. And those that are, are mostly the ATR 42. The 600 just isn't selling very well

PMDG does aircraft(with the exfeption of DC-6) that are common around the world. In that case, no the ATR is not very common. Look at thr number of ATRs still in use today. There are only a few ATR flying in the US. And those that are, are mostly the ATR 42. The 600 just isn't selling very well

I'm sure by no means PMDG develops aircraft just based on popularity or what's common - more like whatever they want to and whatever they can access material for. 

Let us also not forget that the the world continues outside of the borders of the USA and North America. You say that the ATR isn't very common around the world but then give statistics for the USA. The ATR 600 variant is also outselling the Q400 variant everywhere else that isn't North America - so it is odd that you'd say it isn't selling well. 

They're slower, fly less of the distance but are cheaper and more fuel efficient than their Q400 counterpart. I suspect the only reason the Q400 outsells in North America is that extra distance, allowing operators to replace a jet with a turboprop. 

At the end of the day I'm not really too worried about what aircraft the team makes as I know it'll be good, but it surely doesn't help to spread misinformation. 

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Well actually Jamal, PMDG has said before that they pick aircraft that the average person can see at the average airport. And no the ATR, isn't that popular anymore. They were 10 years ago. Now, a large majority of airlines are replacing them with jets. And just because the -600 may be currently selling better than the Q400, doesn't make it more popular. With the exception of a few airports, the Dash8 is still much more common throughout the world, again, for most people. The largest flight sim market in the world is in the US. So no, I don't think that PMDG will create an aircraft in which their largest market has probably never seen in real life. (I'm referring to the -600).

Well actually Jamal, PMDG has said before that they pick aircraft that the average person can see at the average airport. And no the ATR, isn't that popular anymore. They were 10 years ago. Now, a large majority of airlines are replacing them with jets. And just because the -600 may be currently selling better than the Q400, doesn't make it more popular. With the exception of a few airports, the Dash8 is still much more common throughout the world, again, for most people. The largest flight sim market in the world is in the US. So no, I don't think that PMDG will create an aircraft in which their largest market has probably never seen in real life. (I'm referring to the -600).

Interesting argument. I guess I'm not part of the average person that can see the DC-9 around my local airport.

• Upvote 2

Next person to use the DC-6 in an argument about our development agenda is getting locked out of their account until they've done their homework...

^^^^^This is a joke, but if you're going to put across the idea that you know enough about us to discuss development agenda, you might want to do your homework.

The DC-6 was chosen as a project the team was internally interested in, as an aid to learning a new platform (X-Plane) with an aircraft that does not carry the automated complexity of a more modern aircraft.

Kyle Rodgers

The ATR has actually gotten a second wind with the -600 and is selling pretty good. Would't be surprised to see it even in USA. And it's quite common in my part of the world. ;)

About the american market being the largest, could you show me some data about that? would be interesting.

The ATR has actually gotten a second wind with the -600 and is selling pretty good. Would't be surprised to see it even in USA. And it's quite common in my part of the world. ;)

About the american market being the largest, could you show me some data about that? would be interesting.

Largest market is US. Second largest is Germany. It's been that way for a long time. Anyways, there's no doubt that the ATR is a popular and successful aircraft. However, I don't think that the -600 variant is widespread enough yet for enough people to buy it, especially since it'd be competing with Majestics Q400.

Interesting, see this link, in 2014 they had 80% of the large Turboprop market.

http://www.atraircraft.com/newsroom/atr-record-year-in-terms-of-sales-deliveries-turnover-and-backlog-1309-en.html

So no, I would not say they are not selling well...160 orders for ATR that year vs 48 orders for the Q400. By no means Boeing and Airbus numbers, but sadly, the Q400 is not that popular anymore. It is a great plane but just too fuel thirsty, except in areas like USA / Canada where the longer stage lengths make them more attractive.

I also see ATR making a ATR72-stretch in the coming years to something like 90-ish seats. This will further cement their market position, while BBD slows Q400 production and has their hands full with C-Series.

In any case, I think a PMDG ATR would be very, very far down the list of possible projects.

• Upvote 1

However, I don't think that the -600 variant is widespread enough yet for enough people to buy it

No, it's actually quite the opposite. 

Once again, I urge you to remember that North America is not the end of the world. Comparatively, ATR's 600 variant is way more widespread than the Q400 with aircraft operating in almost all continents. Just because YOU don't see ATRs because of your location, it doesn't mean that they aren't there.

With regards to performance per dollar, the argument for the ATR 600 is a strong one. I can recall a few years ago my regional airline (LIAT Airlines) was faced with replacing their aging Q300, Q100 fleet. After weighing their options, the case for the ATR was stronger, especially on the shorter commuter routes that is more common everywhere else that isn't in North America.

With the 600 receiving more orders than the Q400, it's pretty absurd to say that demand isn't there for this aircraft. 

With that being said, I'm sure PMDG has their hands full, I don't expect to see them making either anytime soon - but I hope I am wrong. Maybe we'll eventually see a resurrection of PMDG's Dash-8 project in the future, but Majestic has also started work on their Q200/300 variants. 

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

I can't even tell any of you the last time I saw either...

Kind of a worthless argument honestly.

Kyle Rodgers

I can't even tell any of you the last time I saw either...

Kind of a worthless argument honestly.

Haha we get that Porter Q400 into IAD quite often.

Haha we get that Porter Q400 into IAD quite often.

Really? Haven't seen it in a while. Flew on a 300 last weekend.

You gonna be at the UHC thing tomorrow?

Kyle Rodgers