Sign in to follow this  
WotanUK

Terrible artifacts ATI

Hello,

Was a fix ever discovered for the artifacts appearing using DX10 and ATI cards?

I tried the DX10 fixer and was very happy with it, but about 20 minutes into a flight i started to get (at first) a small number of artifacts appearing, eventually these take over the entire screen (save the aircraft which is unaffected).  I did try removing the shader for the Water and Clouds, neither made a significant difference. 

In the end i gave up and went back to DX9, i would prefer DX10.

ATI 7970 Ghz edition screen resolution 5760x1080 (eyefinity)..i accept this may be the issue.

Ian R Tyldesley

A picture would help but I'm almost positive you are talking about Autogen popups that have problems popping up because of memory starvation.  If you have a Bufferpool setting, get rid of it.  That's the problem.  Memory starvation is caused by high fsx settings.  Most computers today cannot handle Autogen at the max setting (I can't anyway).  Orbx developers discourage it (see their guide for any of their scenery products).  It happens with NVidia cards too so it's not just an ATI issue.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Have a look into this one

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422802-serious-issue-with-ati-and-steves-dx10-fix-tears-and-spikes-everywhere/

I have been there with ATI as well as others and we  did find a "temp" solution regarding settings in DX10.

But it can happen to you over water with no Autogen so its not just a Autogen problem. Its a combo that makes these artifacts so try pick up some of the settings tested in the above link, that is the best i can give you besides going out and buy a GTX780 which i never regred (from a 7970GHZ Edition)

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Yep as Michael has indicated that picture is exactly what i am experiencing.  I have read the proceeding thread, the "Fix" appears to be remove the water and cloud shaders i already tried that, it made a slight difference but not significant.

Ian R Tyldesley

Those are definitely memory spikes from Autogen being unable to render fast enough.  Not a DX10 issue.  Lower settings or repairing a "tweak" will fix this problem.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Those are definitely memory spikes from Autogen being unable to render fast enough.  Not a DX10 issue.  Lower settings or repairing a "tweak" will fix this problem.

Best regards,

Respectfully Jim i don't agree, i do not have the problem on DX9 with the same settings.  It could well be that DX10 (under FSX) isn't capable of rendering on a 7970 at the resolution i run but it is most certainly DX10 related.

Ian R Tyldesley

Respectfully Jim i don't agree, i do not have the problem on DX9 with the same settings.  It could well be that DX10 (under FSX) isn't capable of rendering on a 7970 at the resolution i run but it is most certainly DX10 related.

Okay, guess I have to start showing proof:

http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=370979#p370979

http://www.simforums.com/forums/artifacts_topic34338.html

Those are just a couple.  I did a search for fsx artifacts and you'll see it's a problem with rendering.  Turn down your Autogen and/or your FSX settings and it will all go away.  I know it's frustrating and a long time ago I use to get them.  BufferPools=0 is known to cause this problem too.  If it was DX10 (and your video card) then wouldn't everyone of us have this problem?  DX10 is a superior technology which uses the components in your video card better than in DX9 mode. 

Hope this helps fix your problem.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

If Bufferpools=0. try setting water effects to to High 2.x. That will reduce artifacting when using Bufferpools=0. But to get "eventually these take over the entire screen" seem excessive. Ill have got small artifacting like on approach but never takes over the whole screen or excessive.. Seems I also read there was some ATI driver issues a while back also.

DX10 is a superior technology which uses the components in your video card better than in DX9 mode. 

How can it be a superior technology if i have to run at lower settings than under DX9, which appears to be what you are saying?

After reviewing the links you provided it could be you are correct i don't want to have to reduce my settings from DX9 to run DX10...perhaps that is why people are getting better FPS under DX10, they are reducing settings.

I don't run "Bufferpool" at all.

Thanks for your help Jim and others looks like i'm stuck with DX9.

Ian R Tyldesley

Like i said , you can have these corruption over water with Normal Autogen. Its a combination that tricks them. I remember lowering to water x 2 low and Dense Autogen i manage to eliminate them (at least for those 777 Longhauls flight i testet)

Again please test my settings to the letter (fsx.cfg) in the link and if it does not work for you i still would consider switching to a GTX780. The smooth feel even in DX9 is just a hole new sim. DX9 is so good with the GTX780 that only OOM (read VAS usage) is a bottleneck.

Offcause DX10 provides better effects and i am all in for DX10 but DX9 is outstanding with this card. 

Also remember that DX10 provide more Autogen at same setting than DX9

Good luck

PS!

Just for the performance. My new card gives me same performance as the 7970GHZ but on Very Dense settings and with UTII at 25-35%

Michael 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Thanks for your help Jim and others looks like i'm stuck with DX9

No problem Ian!  Sorry lower settings do not work for you.  Even with my super fast system (see sidebar) I can't have my settings set to max and enjoy FSX too.  FSX is just an old engine that sometimes has issues on many systems.  I just mentioned the BufferPools issue as I don't know what your Fsx.cfg settings are and just wanted to let you know that was a problem for some.  You might try Lockheed Martin's Prepared3D program which uses DX11 technology.  Most of those settings you can turn up high.  In fact the default LOD_Radius for P3D is 6.5 which is much higher than FSX's 4.5.  It's a little buggy right now though.  

It must be nice to be run FSX at 5760x1080 resolution no matter whether in DX9 or DX10!!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

i still would consider switching to a GTX780

Thanks Michael, i really don't like nVidia cards, but perhaps i may consider it.  I will try your settings when i get some time.

You might try Lockheed Martin's Prepared3D program which uses DX11 technology

Thanks Jim, that would be ideal, but most of my aircraft are PMDG, so i'm pretty stuck.

It must be nice to be run FSX at 5760x1080 resolution no matter whether in DX9 or DX10!!

It was never really designed for the resolution, but yes thanks to the various fixes over the years it still looks pretty good.  I have been running it across 3 screens for a couple of years now.

Ian R Tyldesley

This is definitely an ati problem. I was plagued with the same problems with my 7770. The problem only arose in dx10. I had a gtx 650 in my htpc and I switch it out the for the ati and the problem was gone. I'm now running a gtx 780 and no more spikes and thats while flying for 7+ hrs

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

This is definitely an ati problem. I was plagued with the same problems with my 7770. The problem only arose in dx10. I had a gtx 650 in my htpc and I switch it out the for the ati and the problem was gone. I'm now running a gtx 780 and no more spikes and thats while flying for 7+ hrs

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

This is correct. This is a known issue with DX10 fixer for FSX and ATI and there is a work around. 

Firstly, water 2xMed and above will generate the spikes in a hurry. I am a BETA tester of the DX10 fixer and worked with Steve on this. He cannot fix it. If you have an ATI card... There are two workaroundsarounds for DX10 fixer.

#1. Water cannot be set above 2xLOW

#2. Turn off the water shader in the DX10 fixer.

What do you lose? Cloud or scenery reflections in the water. FPS remains the same in any case.

I might report it to ATI to see if they can fix it in the driver. But this is such a small community (A few thousand DX10 FSX users at most I bet and 5% of them perhaps own ATI with FSX) they would likely not care. 

So far I have not replicated this issue in DX11 (P3Dv2) but I have not flown long haul in that platform yet. Nor is it normal for me to fly more than an hour and a half or two at the most. An hour with settings maxed and I have not seen this yet on my 7970.

Charles.

There are two workaroundsarounds for DX10 fixer.

#1. Water cannot be set above 2xLOW
#2. Turn off the water shader in the DX10 fixer.

Hi Charles,  i tried both of those.  It made a difference, in that it took longer for the spikes to appear; but they still come normally around 30 minutes into the flight.

Ian R Tyldesley