Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

ahem... Linux....

Right click lets you change permissions. Then execute in a terminal alike:

./instal*

lets you see messages/errors etc. You probably need some libs at least for the 32bit x-plane on 64bit. Have a look over at x-plane.org there's a thread about that.

ialib32

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I think it automatically downloaded these ialib32 when I did some updates. I remember that name.

X-Plane for Linux doesn't offer me anything more than I have for Windows, quite the contrary, I will have to restrict the use of some of the best addons for it to run there, so I will keep using Windows for it, but I plan on keeping Linux on my HD, for some Windows related emergency!

But thanks for the help!

Alexis Mefano

Can we try on Android now ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

The problem is only understanding certain things about linux. So for a newbie yes that would be hard.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Perhaps the linux users here should petition X-Aviation to make their nice Saab and SKyMaxx Pro compatible (why not, the CRJ is)?

Having the performance benefits *plus* the best add-ons would maybe seal the deal for folks who are on the fence with linux.

Perhaps the linux users here should petition X-Aviation to make their nice Saab and SKyMaxx Pro compatible (why not, the CRJ is)?

Having the performance benefits *plus* the best add-ons would maybe seal the deal for folks who are on the fence with linux.

forget it

To begin with, X-aviation is a software store like Flightsimstore and simmarket, so what they sell aren't produced BY them. CRJ-200 is made by JRollon, SkyMAXX by MAXX-XP and the Saab is made by Leading Edge Simulations. 

Now, reason why 2 of the 3 wont work is the Gizmo plugin which they use to "talk" to x-plane. I recall reading the Gizmo dev finding converting the plugin for Linux not worth the effort due to the niche customer base. I believe Jrollons CRJ uses SASL or something else, which works with Linux.. Anyway, looking at the Gizmo Dev subforum on X-pilot there is already a topic concerning Linux development, but be careful there. They seem very stern in defending their stance on Linux, but perhaps that will change with increased demand regarding their decision.

I don't think so. Cameron doesn't believe in Linux anymore, He simply decided that that the few additional sales are not sufficient to cover the costs to support this architecture.

It seems like a chicken and egg situation but in this case the chicken just got ran over by Gizmo's egg-shaped SUV.

To begin with, X-aviation is a software store like Flightsimstore and simmarket, so what they sell aren't produced BY them. CRJ-200 is made by JRollon, SkyMAXX by MAXX-XP and the Saab is made by Leading Edge Simulations. 

Somewhat true, but not. X-Aviation plays a large role in the development of most add-ons we publish.

I believe Jrollons CRJ uses SASL or something else, which works with Linux

It does not use SASL. The answer to your question is that the primary developer on the product is a Linux user and is able to field support for it when the issues arise.

It seems like a chicken and egg situation but in this case the chicken just got ran over by Gizmo's egg-shaped SUV.

Gizmo has very little to do with this. In fact, Gizmo could be brought to Linux, but as we're in a business to be profitable and have actual overhead costs (this is not just a hobby for X-Aviation...we have people to pay and employ), Linux does not fit in with a cost effective scenario. In fact, we supported Linux for nearly 5 years until entirely dropping support. The support issues never seemed to be countered with effective ROI.

I am definitely not going to get into a flame over this subject. Plenty of chatter has been had about it in the past. The bottom line is that if Linux were truly profitable we would already be there. Truth be told, 2% of the X-Plane 10 market does not cut the mustard or justify the expense. I wish such were not the case, but it's the truth and I, as well as the others, have to live with that.

We continue to monitor the Linux market, but I have to be honest in saying that with the recent percentage stats we have of Linux users the outlook is more grim than what I even thought it to be in the first place. 2% is really, really low.

Founder of X-Aviation

more grim than what I even thought it to be in the first place. 2% is really, really low.

That's a very old number. Personally, I don't think that it's still far behind Mac anymore.

My guess is rather that it will overtake Mac users in the next 3-5 years.

I'd be very interested in hopping over to linux mostly out of pure interest of trying it out on a new platform, but to be honest problem is the lack of game support on linux. I still enjoy wide range of games on my pc most of which don't work on linux, tho steam is having great effort to change that, which I appreciate. 

I guess I could say for me the problem is justifying installing new OS on my system just so I can test X-plane on it, when I most likely would spent most of my time still on windows  :wacko:

I run my Windows apps with Wine. Only for FSX and Realflight, I sometimes boot Windows.