Sign in to follow this  
tsa737

best way to choose a STAR

Hi, I fly PMDG aircraft, and I am familiar with utilizing the FMC to choose runways and STARs. My question is this:

I'm flying a route to KJFK from the south, when I choose the runway, I'm given multiple options on STARs that I can use. Some of those are for routes coming from the south (like me), there are others which are for flights coming from the north. So I'm not sure which to choose.

My question is if there is an online list of STARs or a software addon that will assist with this issue.

thanks

Rob Marton

(almost) every airport has published set of charts.

For KJFK you can find it here:

http://skyvector.com/airport/JFK/John-F-Kennedy-International-Airport

at the bottom of the page.

Generally speaking there can be multiple STARs, and/or multiple transitions for a same runway, depending on direction of arrival, classification of aircraft, aircraft navigation capability, traffic etc. You can open arrival charts and find out what STAR and transition are most suitable for your flight.

If you want more precise answer for your flight, you should post your route, desired runway and aircraft.

I use PFPX, and it will automatically calculate my STARs/SIDs as is required. I'm not sure to what extent it will calculate aircraft restrictions, though it does a very good job of route planning. It even includes a feature to go onto FlightAware to copy the route from that. I use to use RouteFinder (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/), and it worked not as well as PFPX, though it gave airways and the final waypoint of the SID/first of the STAR, and from there it was relatively easy to find the appropriate procedure from there.

Good luck!

-Derek

Thank you for your responses. I had considered PFPX. I will look at that.

imo, flightaware is the best guide for "current realworld" routing including sid/stars which will match your navigraph / navpro navdata .... with different routes shown for jets vs turboprops etc and whether you are RNAV capable.

the routes are also essentially the preferred routes for the type as promoted / agreed by for example the FAA & the airines.

for now, cheers

john martin

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

PFPX is great for planning, but it's also good to double check. Sometimes you'll file a "Turbojet aircraft only" SID or STAR in a turboprop, and that's a little embarrassing.

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

Agree, you should always have a paper or electronic chart of any procedure you are going to fly, in front of yourself while flying. Planning softwares can produce erroneous data IRL and in sim. 

I first look at the weather conditions (wind speed and direction) at the METAR at airport and that hints to appropriate RWY to land. Then I chose the type approach I want from those available (say ILS) and look at the3 chart. Then I look for the bast STAR that gets me to the beginning of the ILS approach from where I come from (in this case the south).

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

It's much easier at major UK airports (Heathrow, Gatwick etc). The STAR is determined by the last en-route leg of the inbound flight. For example at Heathrow Bovingdon BNN4A Arrival via L15 (FL150 to FL190) continue to NUGRA...

Think of stars being based on the direction you are coming from. For example, When im flying up to KLGA from KDCA, I all ways get the korry three. From there the runways are based on winds.

I agree - although I do not fly online or have an electronic charts subscription (or, for that matter, fly in the RW), I would recommend reviewing some sort of airport chart before you fly the SID/STAR, if not only for understanding and fluidity. I know at Dubai PFPX usually, as I usually fly from the US/Canada to there, puts me on the DESDI6* arrival, which if flown fully results in an excessively oblong pattern of switchbacks, that can and apparently usually is shortened by a lot. It's just a matter of knowing what you're about to fly, and it also contains key information like Baro units, the DH and the Transition Altitude. Anyway, I do like PFPX for quick planning, and what's good is that if subscribed for online use (it automatically comes with a one year subscription), it will read the forecasts (from what I can tell/believe) and select a runway and best route accordingly. Anyway, my two cents. Really there's tons of options when it comes to complete route planning, and it just comes down to the best choice for you and how you like to fly.

Safe Landings (And STARs  :wink: )!

-Derek

imo, flightaware is the best guide for "current realworld" routing including sid/stars which will match your navigraph / navpro navdata .... with different routes shown for jets vs turboprops etc and whether you are RNAV capable.

the routes are also essentially the preferred routes for the type as promoted / agreed by for example the FAA & the airines.

+1

This is what I always do. I also use sky vector and my ipad for the charts. For me, it's the perfect combination.

In the states, it's almost a good idea to plan your departure and arrival first and then plan your route.

I first look at the weather conditions (wind speed and direction) at the METAR at airport and that hints to appropriate RWY to land. Then I chose the type approach I want from those available (say ILS) and look at the3 chart. Then I look for the bast STAR that gets me to the beginning of the ILS approach from where I come from (in this case the south).

caution ... look at the TAF for your arrival time (checking the metar as you approach is cheating unless you have aircas) & then the atis which is the "answer" (i forgotten how fsx gives at TAF if it can, i use ASN/AS2012, current or historic for the TAF.)

for now, cheers

john martin