Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

NVidia Driver 332.21 & DX10 - Anyone using this?

I dont use anything later than 327.23, because vsync is broken with limited FPS.

I used 1/2 Vsync and 30 FPS limited in FSX and it seemed to work perfectly in 332.21.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I have tested it so much on my machine, and i just dont get it.
But the conclusion is clear, vsync doesn't work for me when limiting fps in FSX or inspector.
Also several reports on nvidia forum about vsync broken with newer drivers, so its not just me.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

Hi Jordan, I have the same computer specs as you except for the processor, which is a 3570k. I just got the same EVGA 780GTX card you have and I've been unable to get better than 10fps on the ground at FSDT KJFK v2 using the PMDG 777. AI Traffic is at 30%. Can you please share your inspector and fsx.cfg settings? Thanks!

-E

FSX.cfg - https://app.box.com/s/ivbel52ztp08sqsr7wxg

NI Settings - https://app.box.com/s/n4mjh69ygimqx0c4tm6d

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Thanks Jordan! I'll try your settings tomorrow! :-)

Enrique Vaamonde

I dont use anything later than 327.23, because vsync is broken with limited FPS.

I don't know where this is coming from, or what empirical evidence you have, Papa, but Nvidia vsync, using v. 331.82 whql for the 780, absotively, poselutely does work, and is working on my ASUS 2560 x 1440 x 32 monitor, as per these pics here, taken eight or nine minutes ago. The first three are the setting used, with a snip from the [Main] section of the fsx.cfg, showing "DisablePreload=1", a second snip of the Inspector opening screen showing the version and speed detail, with the third - a usual pic of our user settings - my current, as of this minute. The rest are pics, showing a series of turns folowing a takeoff from Orbx Diamond Point, PNW - demonstrating no tearing, or horizontal anomaly whatsoever.

It may not work on some machines, for any number of reasons - but please - don't say "it does not work".

2 cents..

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I can see that Paul.
And i honestly dont understand why i can't get it working.
When i see others got it working, i spend a lot if time to get it working for me.
But honestly, I'm DONE with that.
Installed older driver, changed NOTHING in FSX, and BAMM, it works :-)
The reports are that gameready drivers have vsync errors, when limiting fps.
I did test some games to see if it was just fsx with this problem, but no, same problem.
So for now, I'm using older drivers, unless someone come up with something that i haven't tried.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

PapaRomeo, as You already stated there is probaly a conflict, which has not yet been found. In a similar case (months ago) it was useful for me to completly deinstall an older NV driver at first and then install the new one. Already tried this? 

Wulf

I've found that GameReady drivers do have at least one issue when in Surround Mode and using a pair of GTX580's in SLI...

- no direction as to how (or at least - well-hidden) to set bezels with 3 x 27" - 1920 x 1080 x 32 monitors...

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for the Inspector settings, have to test those as well. But for your cfg. No surprise you get good FPS and fluent sim. No traffic, no ships, no ai traffic, nothing. LOD radius still on 4.5, texture resolution on 1024 and after all, you run your sim at 1280x1024? Maybe its me, but for all this, a GTX-780 is simply wasted. Or I have to high demands for my FSX...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Thanks for the Inspector settings, have to test those as well. But for your cfg. No surprise you get good FPS and fluent sim. No traffic, no ships, no ai traffic, nothing. LOD radius still on 4.5, texture resolution on 1024 and after all, you run your sim at 1280x1024? Maybe its me, but for all this, a GTX-780 is simply wasted. Or I have to high demands for my FSX...

I run the Sim at 2560x1080, the 1280 your seeing may be for another monitor/DX9 display entry and I do run at 6.5 LOD. I noticed that on a flight yesterday, I must have made some in SIM change and not changed it back in the CFG.

As for traffic I fly on VATSIM so I leave my slider at 0. Don't really care for Boats and Cars. And I really see no visual difference between 1024 and 4096 other than at FSDT airports (I use 1024 REX Textures) so I don't see the need to bloat my video memory with the bigger textures. 

Trust me my demands are very high for my Rig and FSX. You need to find compromises, for me those are no traffic and lower textures resolutions. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

That makes sense, thank you for the clarification. Then you should maybe repost a current and in-use FSX.cfg, otherwise things get messed up here. Anyway, some questions remain then: you obviously do not limit your FPS inside FSX. And you do not use this oldfashioned [Jobscheduler] Affinitymask=XX setting. I did some tests over the weekend with some strange observations (strange because people do recommend otherwise):

I have my FPS limited to 30 within FSX, using 1/2 refresh rate in Inspector. Example flight LSZH (FSDT scenery), fair weather, full AI Traffic (UT2 2013) and standard Bell in VC, DX10 enabled via Steve's fixer, FullHD screen resoltion etc.If more details are needed, feel free to ask.

Now:

1. Using Bufferpools=0, Affinitmask=14 and LOD_radius=6.5 I get about 30FPS locked around the airport (LSZH), flying around the terminals with plenty of AI traffic, it goes down to 18-20, but still smooth with some hickups.

2. removing the Affinitymask entry in my FSX.cfg instantly reduces the FPS to 25-27 around the airport and about 16-18 when flying around the terminals. Still smooth with hickups, but I realise the loss of FPS somehow (maybe placebo?).

3. Testing both above scenarios with FPS either limited to 30 or unlimited within FSX, keeping the nVidia Inspector settings. The overall FPS stay the same, but I instantly realize that the fluctuations are a LOT bigger, e.g. jumping from 28 to 32 FPS several times within a second. This is also observable by a slightly less smooth appearance.The minimal FPS when flying around the terminal did not increase at all.

What's the issue here? I read now plenty of times that the affinitymask entry is nonsense and not needed for modern cpu's. Why do I have such an remarkable difference then?

BTW: System specs are: i5-3570K running at 4.5GHz, 2x4GB DDR3 2133MHz CL9 RAM and a EVGA GTX-780 SC ACX graphics card.

Verdict: I still wonder continuously about some FPS numbers of certain users in the FS world. I never reach them, although some of them running even lower hardware. And yes, I set up my FSX according to Nicks guide over at simforums, removed all but the recommended FSX.cfg tweaks and still, ther must be something different. Or all other people cheat according their FPS numbers, which I really doubt.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I am not at my Sim Rig at the moment but I will change that link to direct to the current CFG (only real change is LOD) tonight. I also use TrackIR so I feel like I can notice more subtle changes in FPS due to head movement. 

As a note, my standard tests are:

1) on Runway 01C at KIAD with PMDG 737NGX and FlightBeam IAD, heavy thunderstorms preset weather theme, dusk. I take off, climb to 2000ft, make a left turn and do an ILS landing back at 01C, all with AP on so I can keep an eye on the SIM performance. 

2) on Runway 31L at KJFK with PMDG 777 and FSDT JFKV2, heavy thunderstorms preset weather theme, dawn. I take off, climb to 2000 ft, make a left turn and fly over Manhattan (default) proceed south down the Hudson river, land ILS 04R at KEWR (default other than Ray Smith AFCAD). Again, all with AP on so I can keep an eye on the SIM performance. 

On both the 737 and 777 I leave the display FPS limited under the performance manager set at 0)

With my current settings I get about 30-35 FPS int he VC, panning around with TrackIR, slightly less when looking at a heavy cloud layer ahead. In external, panning around, I get about 40-50 depending on how much of the frame includes multiple cloud layers. 

As for [AFINITYMASK], I have done testing with a few settings, and my observations are:

FPS Locked (at 30 and 60 in the SIM and NI) - FPS are very smooth for the first few minutes in both tests 1 and 2. After 60=60 seconds I notice large jumps in FPS and an over all "sluggish feel", usually after cycling views from VC to external and back. I will look at the activity monitor and I can notice that core 0 (or 1 depending on the AF setting) is jumping from 0-100% utilization when the sim gets sluggish.

FPS Unlocked - Same results as above but the "sluggishness" starts after about 2 minutes. 

I'm not sure if it is placebo, or a result of TrackIR (or a combination) but I notice a much smoother overall experience with unlocked in the sim and no lock in NI. I primarily fly tube-liners in FSX (PMDG 737/777, Aerosoft AXE, Majestic Dash8Q400) and these setting work well for me over a large range of situations, small default airports, large FSDT, FB and Aerosoft Mega Airports with clear skies or heavy cloud layers. Obviously the heavy weather and large airports have a lower performance but it is still flyable for me with online traffic and ATC. I may experiment with cars/boats but for me it really is not a big deal. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

FSX will always have framerate fluctuations!  There are a myriad "other things" going on inside any pc that have to be handled - or managed -  by the processor. When one sets "unlimited (e.g. I get 45 - 70 fps!!) - especially if the priority of the fsx executable is raised - then one leaves very little time for "housekeeping". Remember - fsx itself is carrying out billions of constantly-changing calculations and data transfers every second. There have to be fluctuations.  ...and every flight is different to the last, even a programmed, repeatable flight used for benchmarking.

pj

FSX will always have framerate fluctuations!  There are a myriad "other things" going on inside any pc that have to be handled - or managed -  by the processor. When one sets "unlimited (e.g. I get 45 - 70 fps!!) - especially if the priority of the fsx executable is raised - then one leaves very little time for "housekeeping". Remember - fsx itself is carrying out billions of constantly-changing calculations and data transfers every second. There have to be fluctuations.  ...and every flight is different to the last, even a programmed, repeatable flight used for benchmarking.

pj

Regardless of locked or unlocked frames, is it recommended to run the FSX process at a higher priority? 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

After the release of ASN my compromise is on the ground and enjoying the sky uncompromised. Hard on performance but worth it in my flying time.

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png