Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Introducing World2XPlane...

Are you using the QGis tool ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Your project looks unvaluable but IMO you should not waste time coping with bad data. They should be fixed in OSM not by your converter.
The ability to place real obj instead of facade will prove a visual must for rural area where usually there are few objects and FPS are not heavily affected by number of buildings.

I agree with you here, unfortunately there is just so much of this "bad data" that it can leave some areas looking blank. However, the important thing is that it will tell you the IDs of the ways or relations which are broken, so that you they can be fixed. I've already fixed one :-)

No, 

Tony I did a blender thing with google warehouse, ok there are no textures but there is something in blender to assign it, you can try that,

I'm not sure if X-Plane will even render untextured objects, I think it crashes out unfortunately. However, if you fancy texturing it, then I will happily try it for you. Remember though, make sure the origin (0,0,0) point is at the bottom centre of the object, so that it will rotate correctly. What would be nice here is to have a blank textured house (i.e. A blueprint texture), so that the tool can colour/fill in the blueprint and create custom textures for specific objects.

Are you using the QGis tool ?

No, my entire toolset consists of JOSM (The Java OSM editor). It's a superb/invaluable application that helps me visualise what I'm working on. e.g. I have done the reverse and made the DSF files export to OSM files, this way I can see visually what the importer has done, and how it has split up shapes.

I'm not sure if X-Plane will even render untextured objects, I think it crashes out unfortunately. However, if you fancy texturing it, then I will happily try it for you. Remember though, make sure the origin (0,0,0) point is at the bottom centre of the object, so that it will rotate correctly. What would be nice here is to have a blank textured house (i.e. A blueprint texture), so that the tool can colour/fill in the blueprint and create custom textures for specific objects.

No, my entire toolset consists of JOSM (The Java OSM editor). It's a superb/invaluable application that helps me visualise what I'm working on. e.g. I have done the reverse and made the DSF files export to OSM files, this way I can see visually what the importer has done, and how it has split up shapes.

I can give you the x plane object file. Hey to be honest I am a ZERO in Graphics like I am a ZERO in maths  :P ,  let me know. 

yeah JOSM is cool. I suggest trying out British Columbia ( http://download.geofabrik.de/ ) and use the landuse.shp that should generat forests. 

I can give you the x plane object file. Hey to be honest I am a ZERO in Graphics like I am a ZERO in maths

Ha ha, that makes two of us. I'm rubbish when it comes to graphics. You can send me the file if you like, and I'll check if it opens (If you have dropbox, then just PM me a dropbox link).

I'm slowly getting there with these huge monstereous forests, the list of failures is going down, as the program gets better at dealing with problems, and the scenery is starting to fill out nicer.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

Another problem I've noticed is that the city extracts tend to include lots of incorrectly clipped relations, which is packing up a pile of errors (There is not much I can do about these). Geofabrik seem to offer the best data, but they don't offer individual cities. I'm using city regions as they are smaller and easier to debug.

Ha ha, that makes two of us. I'm rubbish when it comes to graphics. You can send me the file if you like, and I'll check if it opens (If you have dropbox, then just PM me a dropbox link).

Roger that, send you in a while.

I did make the landuse.shp to forests with osm2xp.  you want that generated scenery too ? I can send it through dropbox. It is British columbia area. you can try it how it looks.

The landuse.shp file is basically just an OSM data extract of just forest tags. OSM2XP supports reading .shp files and extracting all the polygons out into whatever you specify (AFAIK, there are no tags). This is basically the same as downloading the entire region as an OSM file and doing the same. The shape file extracts I imagine have the same problems with holes and tile boundaries. So at the moment, don't worry about it. I might add in SHP file support in the future, but because they don't contain much information, I'm not sure how useful they'd be

Couple more preview shots after generating Brandeburg. I also had a play with some filters, and now it adds random cars to car parks :-)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I'm having too much fun flying around now, that I'm afraid I won't get any more work done on it. I've left Switzerland generating now, and will post some shots later. Generation is somewhat slower than OSM2XP, as it's doing lots of geometry tests, etc which slows it down. 

• Upvote 3

I'm really impressed by latest shots but stop flying please. Now if only buildings could have more colours and sloped roofs somewhere to reduce uniformity...are you using European Building library?

I tried something. got Chrysler buildings NY , blender object in .3ds and tried to export to XPX object, don't whats its doing but taking a long time to do it. But I doubt it will have textures.

Now if only buildings could have more colours and sloped roofs somewhere to reduce uniformity...are you using European Building library?

This will happen automatically when more objects are created, have a look at discussion going on here http://forums.x-pilot.com/topic/6388-xp-scenery-generator-wip/page-3#entry68854. Generally, the more objects we create, the less the system needs to use the ugly flat roofed facades :). I'm trying to get a community effort going to make these models.

Would you mind to provide some sample scnerey files for us?

I would be happy to, but I have nowhere to host it. Brandenburg alone is 140MB, and I don't think the avsim library allows files that large.

Are you going to plan to allow compatible integration with the excellent high-res mesh from alpilotx?

So are you going to integrate the excellent high-res mesh?

There is no need to, it sets on top of other scenery, e.g. Photo scenery or mesh and works with it

Way to go Tony, one small step for man, one giant leap for X-Plane.

I agree and like I said in the other thread, awesome work :). I especially like the randomly placed cattle, although it was hard to see :D.

If there's anything we can help like writing config files for placement of objects assoicated to OSM tags or random placement filters, just let us know. I would be happy to help :).

If you don't know where to host your scenery files, using bittorent would be a good solution. I guess the interest in these files is rather high, so there would be few peers around after the file was uploaded once. Unfortunately everytime you generate a new version, you got to upload the entire file again (well that's the same for one click hosters), but probably it would work just fine for biweekly releases :).

If there's anything we can help like writing config files for placement of objects assoicated to OSM tags or random placement filters, just let us know. I would be happy to help :).

Thank you for your offer to help, I could use all the help I can get :-). Luckily, a generous user (manuthie) has offered some server space to upload some test scenery, so I'm just awaiting permission from somebody (whose objects I have used) to distribute with the scenery, and I'll upload Brandenburg for users to test and play with.

If anyone fancies stepping in and giving a hand, we need 3D buildings creating (or finding, and permission given to use). Currently, the objects, textures and facades I use are very Eastern Europe centric, but obviously to improve the scenery, more models are needed. There are plenty of objects already available for the US (default X-Plane autogen objects), but a serious lack of European objects. I currently use buildings from the R2 library, but these are very Eastern European focused, and don't look right in places like Spain, UK and Switzerland. If anyone is interested in helping, then please let me know, and I'll let you you know a few rules for the 3D buildings for them to work.