Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

ASN cloud shader fix

What is the recommended answer to this question when you're running ASN?

ASN%20cloud%20shader%20fix.JPG

Richard Åsberg

I recommend answering yes.  Before I'd made the change manually, I'd get clouds that would disappear then reappear in the same place.  After making the change I've never seen it since.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Ok, sounds good but won't accepting this ASN shader disable some of the cloud features in DX10SF?

Richard Åsberg

This is an extract from (I think) Bojote's recommended tweaks. This fix has been around for several years and works - but is, as Steve has pointed out - a DX9 fix.:

Go to your FSX_root\ShadersHLSL\misc folder.

There you will find a file called SwarmCloud.fx. Make a backup copy of this file somewhere.

Open the original SwarmCloud.fx in notepad and then look down about 20 lines down from the top. You will see this entry:

bool NewMaterialUsage = true;

Change its value from true to false. Make sure to keep the semi-colon. Save and close the file.

Now, go to C:\Users\{your username here}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX

You will see a folder there called: Shaders. Either move that folder out of there or delete it.

Re-start FSX.  This is what ASN is doing.

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I completely agree with the consensus here.  Say yes to the option.  It fixes a real problem with no drawbacks that I'm aware of.

Scott

OK, thanks guys but weird how it fixed an issue for Hook and Scott in DX10 if it's a DX9 shader fix...?

Oh well...replied 'Yes' to the question and will start flying in DX10 and see what happens.

Richard Åsberg

it fixed an issue for Hook and Scott in DX10

Who the heck flies DX10?  Oh.  This is the DX10 forum. <sigh>

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Yes it wont do anything in DX10 - its just editing the DX9 shader. There is a similar DX9 fix to handle glitches in rain textures which can occur with ASN Next. For that one there is an (Default enabled) option in recent DX10SF versions to detect the glitch and avoid the black flash.

There is really no harm in accepting it - remember DX10SF has a button to switch quickly back to DX9!

Yea

OK, thanks guys but weird how it fixed an issue for Hook and Scott in DX10 if it's a DX9 shader fix...?

To clarify, yes this fixes a real problem for me in DX9.  Even if you're a DX10 user, I'd still recommend clicking yes so the DX9 fix is in place.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Scott

NP Scott, all is clear as crystal now and I accepted the ASN shader fix (although I highly doubt I'll ever use DX9 again) :smile:

Richard Åsberg

When  running ASN - Apply Shader Fix - i can`t see this message and also i can`t find Shader Fix in ASN Settings. My ASN  is 1.0.5235.35922 (last version).

Where can i find this Shader Fix?

You may do better to ask on an Active Sky forum - this is the DX10 Scenery Fixer support forum and I don't have ASN.