Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Does DX10 level the playing Field for FSX?

DX101forshots_zpsb6a7690b.png

DX102forshots_zps90b771bc.png

I would have shot them in full screen mode but for some reason all I get is a black screen from our little paint shop here.  Maybe get a fancier program.  LOL

But you might be able to get the idea here.  Both scenery and Autogen Full to the right.  FOR THIS AIRCRAFT and for THIS AREA.  Now I will have to adjust down when I hop into my Eaglesoft Citation X or CX 2.0  This is Carenado's 210.

Respectfully,

Jet

Here's a short clip showing my current water and waves in DX10 and personally I think this is the most realistic water I ever had in FSX. Check out those whitecaps and the movement especially at 00:50!

Richard Åsberg

still don´t get all the dx10 hype... at least when it comes to visuals and water

look at that video, that water looks complete awesome ! 

Edited by SeH

Actually, no, it doesn't.  You might like the aesthetic of it, but those shiny reflections meant to replicate whitecaps and movement don't look very realistic.  I've never seen shiny water like that.  Not from years of sailing or flying over coastal areas.  

Yeah that's DX9 water. Although I love YouTube videos for FSX, they are usually not indicative of real world performance due to post editing techniques. But that looks like DX9 to me...

supporter.jpg

still don´t get all the dx10 hype... at least when it comes to visuals and water

look at that video, that water looks complete awesome ! 

[...]

1st:

Most of the flightsim videos on YouTube are post-edited, as also pointed out in post #52 above.

It is even mentioned in the credits/addons list of this specific video on YouTube that some post editing software was used/applied here.

So what You see there does indeed not represent what can be achieved in FSX itself (neither DX9 or Dx10).

2nd:

The great scenery visible in this nice video here is provided by ORBX and OZx.

Lots of work has been undertaken by the developers involved to make the coast and reef visible there appear as realistic as possible.

I also think that there are some photorealistic groundlayers in use as well, making it all look even better.

Now:

Outside such highly detailed 3rd party sceneries though, the coastal world in FSX does no way look as detailed as in this video - neither in DX9 nor DX10.

That's why the video in #48 here is a far more reliable, plausible source to get a proper overview of what can really be expected and achieved under most flying situations when flying above water in FSX.

So to sum it up:

If some superb add-ons such as REX, FEX or ASE for instance are used for water textures in conjunction with some dedicated 3rd party scenery, such as the great ORBX and OZx sceneries - plus - some dedicated post video editing is added(!), You can make FSX look fantastic.

The important thing to keep in mind just is:

Even by only keeping the post-editing asepct for instance aside You will again get a complete different picture of FSX.

However:

If some dedicated "effects" which are - at least to a certain extent - comparable to those in the video are wanted and needed, either the good old ENB mod for DX9 or Sweet FX for DX10 will do a great job!

(Sweet FX can also be used for DX9 i know, but just to mention two examples here)!

Here we get back to the start:

DX9 can look fantastic, but(!) - so does DX10 perfectly as well!

The thing just is:

It is not just about visuals!

DX10 also offers a far more stable sim, far less OOM's and much, much more.

Anyways:

All of that has been outlined and discussed thoroughly and almost endlessly at various threads all over various flightsim related sites, so no need to repeat it here again.

Either DX9 or DX10, it's a user's choice - but:

Using a post edited video (although without doubt a good one) - as a reference to show the visuals of DX9 is just not objective at all.

Even if it were DX10 it would not be objective either, because post-edited videos do in fact tell very little about the true appearance of FSX ... i mean that's why it's called "post-edited"

:wink:

Well i went and bought the DX10 Fixer, so far so good but how can get to the AA and Vsync quality I enjoyed in DX9 ?

In DX9 I run 8xS with 2 x sparse grid supersampling and Vsync Standard + 1/2 refresh rate set using NI

In DX10 my AA is nowhere near as good and for the life of me I cannot get rid of screen tearing using my Track IR

Help please

That's why the video in #48 here is a far more reliable, plausible source to get a proper overview of what can really be expected and achieved under most flying situations when flying above water in FSX.

Thanks, I can assure all of you this video is 100% genuine and wasn't post-edited in any way and not even recorded at a slower speed to improve smoothness...this is FSX DX10 'out-of-the-box' with SteveFX DX10 Scenery Fixer and AS2012 water and waves.

DX9 can look fantastic, but(!) - so does DX10 perfectly as well!

I fully agree and until I found out the combination of AS2012 water and waves seen in post #48 I thought my water looked better in DX9 but after clearing the FSX shader cache I'm more than happy and what I think is worth mentioning is the movement and whitecaps in DX10 that are affected by the current wind conditions. This is something I never had in DX9 and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's even possible to have that in DX9.

It is not just about visuals!
DX10 also offers a far more stable sim, far less OOM's and much, much more.

So very true, the main reason I decided to switch from DX9-DX10 was initially nothing about visuals but all about how DX10 utilizes your hardware and especially your GPU in a more efficient way vs DX9. I had major OOM issues doing a long flight to the newly released Aerosoft Thessaloniki using other VAS-intensive addons such as the NGX, real time weather provided by ASN etc and after switching to DX10 all my OOM issues are gone!

That I now also have more realistic water and an overall more smooth FSX is something I see as an added bonus :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Well i went and bought the DX10 Fixer, so far so good but how can get to the AA and Vsync quality I enjoyed in DX9 ?

In DX9 I run 8xS with 2 x sparse grid supersampling and Vsync Standard + 1/2 refresh rate set using NI

In DX10 my AA is nowhere near as good and for the life of me I cannot get rid of screen tearing using my Track IR

Help please

The best place to find proper and most useful help and support is around the corner here:

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/644-the-official-dx10-scenery-fixer-support-forum/

Help please

Check out this thread, that's where it all started for me with lots of great tips from many people and especially from Paul J who also links to some great DX10 guides in his signature.

Richard Åsberg

Here's a short clip showing my current water and waves in DX10 and personally I think this is the most realistic water I ever had in FSX. Check out those whitecaps and the movement especially at 00:50!

VERY WELL DONE!  Nice video.  What do you use to make your videos.  FRAPS?  Sony Vegas By Chance?

Respectfully,

Jet

VERY WELL DONE! Nice video. What do you use to make your videos. FRAPS? Sony Vegas By Chance?

Thanks! A very simple video really but glad you liked it.

I don't use FRAPS anymore due to the heavy FPS hit and the ridiculously huge files it produces. I replaced it with a software called Action! made by Mirillis and compared to FRAPS it's like day and night, the FPS hit is none and the output files are not even close to the FRAPS files and still the quality is really good!

Then depending on what type of video it is I also use Sony Movie Studio but all my content is always pure FSX without any after-effects added or modified record or play rate.

Richard Åsberg