Sign in to follow this  
patrickpilot

Aircraft keeps rolling....!

I get ticked too much. I shouldn't read flight sim forums. At my age, could be bad for my health.... :smile:

At the org. I read that most small airplanes use asymetrical wings, to combat the torque. That's where the left wing has more incidence, than the right wing. This is true...........but you have to go back to about 1919 to find rigging specs, in which airplanes were rigged this way. In reality, it hasn't been done for a long, long time.

And then I see wiki for Flight Gear. It states that torque is trying to roll the plane according to Newton's Law. For every action there is a reaction. Therefor, the pilot uses aileron to "fight" the roll, and then right rudder to fight the yaw, which is caused by using aileron to steady the roll. Or something like that.....

Actually, I prefer a better explanation. It's the one, in which you stand in front of the airplane and look at the prop. Then you look at that much larger wing directly behind the prop. Then you realize that, that much bigger wing is producing a whole lot of lift, which will over come that torque, from the much smaller prop. Makes sense to me....

In the meantime, it seems there will be plenty of explanations to tell us why "physics" fit the improper flight models in desktop sims....

• Upvote 1

I posted a very similar comment about the (still unacknowledged) torque bug recently in another forum. Like the OP I am currently doing my PPL in a C152 and noticed the constant left roll tendency of the flight model in X-Plane.

In real life, the aircraft will YAW to the left while climbing under power, which should be countered with right rudder.

In X-Plane in the aircraft ROLLS to the left. Applying right rudder makes the aircraft slip hard to the right and only barely cancels out the rolling tendency.

This is TOTALLY WRONG and I think it's time the developers actually admitted it.

Take a Cessna up on a calm day and try it instead of trying to argue that black is white.

One of the reasons I gave up on XP, but also on FSX...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

One of the reasons I gave up on XP, but also on FSX...

Jcom, i thought you said Austin was working on a fix ?

I posted a very similar comment about the (still unacknowledged) torque bug recently in another forum. Like the OP I am currently doing my PPL in a C152 and noticed the constant left roll tendency of the flight model in X-Plane.

In real life, the aircraft will YAW to the left while climbing under power, which should be countered with right rudder.

In X-Plane in the aircraft ROLLS to the left. Applying right rudder makes the aircraft slip hard to the right and only barely cancels out the rolling tendency.

This is TOTALLY WRONG and I think it's time the developers actually admitted it.

Take a Cessna up on a calm day and try it instead of trying to argue that black is white.

100% agree. I emailed Austin about this but i did not receive a reponse. The main problem with XPX is that it does not simulate spiraling slip stream. And it does not simulate adverse aileron yaw.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Jcom, i thought you said Austin was working on a fix ?

He said, and I may give it a try if it really finds a way to fix it in xp10....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

From the changelog for X-Plane 10.30 http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane-10-30-release-notes

Planes used to lean off to the right ever so slightly. It turned out this was due to an error in the computation of flow along the spar direction in cases where wings had dihedral – Some component of this lateral flow took an axial component after sweep was applied, so the right wings were moving slightly slower than they should have been the effect was a fraction of a knot, but till just enough to lean the plane to the right a hair. That is now fixed!

This is great news, and we have hopefully and finally seen an end to this bug :smile:.

Tony, I did see this recently when the first changelog was announced, but I didn't really understand it, so, I'll wait for the 10.30 release...

Either he wrote right when he should have written left (?), or I really don't get what Austin is saying... Also, I tried the overdone torque effects for months with aircraft with various values of dihedral or even anhedral, or zero dihedral, and really noticed no differences at all (?).

OTOH, and assuming he was referring to CW rotating props only, maybe he was talking about that lean to the right as the reason for there being less yaw to the left than it should - the overdone yaw damping? Well, I will only be able to know after I try it out.

I will certainly install all of the XP10.30 betas and give them a good try :-)... Who knows... I'll report back my findings.

Main Simulation Rig:

Tony, I did see this recently when the first changelog was announced, but I didn't really understand it, so, I'll wait for the 10.30 release...

Either he wrote right when he should have written left (?), or I really don't get what Austin is saying... Also, I tried the overdone torque effects for months with aircraft with various values of dihedral or even anhedral, or zero dihedral, and really noticed no differences at all (?).

OTOH, and assuming he was referring to CW rotating props only, maybe he was talking about that lean to the right as the reason for there being less yaw to the left than it should - the overdone yaw damping? Well, I will only be able to know after I try it out.

I will certainly install all of the XP10.30 betas and give them a good try :-)... Who knows... I'll report back my findings.

I'm sure it's a fix to another bug.

This one: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/387668-need-some-help-default-b744-rolls-right-xp1010r3/

And... please save me a loooong install and tell me - anything worth the try regarding the torque issue?

Main Simulation Rig:

Nothing happened with Torque Jose, it's a lost cause I fear

Alexis Mefano

Thx for the report Alec.

I guess I'll stay where I am, thanksfully, very satisfied, as you know :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

.. I know it's over three years thread, and we are in the era of XP 11, however, I was wondering if LR took care of the excessive banking of the AP, cuz for me flying straight & level I need to hold the yoke an about 30deg to the left only then the Bird keep straight .... :bengong:

Cheers

Yair           

3 minutes ago, N1125Y said:

.. I know it's over three years thread, and we are in the era of XP 11, however, I was wondering if LR took care of the excessive banking of the AP, cuz for me flying straight & level I need to hold the yoke an about 30deg to the left only then the Bird keep straight .... :bengong:

Cheers

Yair           

With all the discussion of due or undue bank aside, I think I can say with certainty that you are having a problem beyond of what is being discussed here.

Output your flightcontrol deflections to the screen to see what is going on. Also don´t forget to trim your aircraft for the phase of the flight. Check your joystick setup.

Jan

..... hey Jan & tnx for the prompt response.

I checked / calibrated Hardware over & over again, I fly FSX-SE just to make sure all is well with controllers , and all is well   

I output the flight controls to the display I see numbers, but they meaningless to me, what next ??? 

Yair    

ok, lets see...

1.) Which aircraft are you flying?

2.) What airspeed and powersetting do you have when you observe the behaviour?

3.) What is your control-response and artificial stability settings (in the joystick menu)?

4.) Do you have buttons/keys set up for trimming aileron/rudder?

Cheers, Jan