Sign in to follow this  

LM found main cause of vegetation-related OOMs

From the LM-forum, posted by Beau:

"We found the main cause of vegetation-related OOMs. While technically not leaking, the 1k tiles aren't being removed aggressively enough. They get removed when the scenery region that owns them is removed which essentially means that they might stick around in memory as long as a distance landmark building would. We are working to fix this issue."

Sounds like very good news to me!

Things are looking up! I am really impressed by LM's dedication to making P3D the best simulator ever.

Frans Kes

While technically not leaking, the 1k tiles aren't being removed aggressively enough

???

strange, thought our slider settings caused it...

Although not causing the problem, they were exposing the problem...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good news. Nice to see our problem reports so openly translated into action.

Petraeus

They get removed when the scenery region that owns them is removed which essentially means that they might stick around in memory as long as a distance landmark building would

But  I've flown in a straight line which still "means that .might stick around in memory as long as a distance landmark building would"

Very positive development!  Hopefully they can get the solution distributed soon, but I think it will be worth the wait whenever they get it out.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

the 1k tiles aren't being removed aggressively enough

I though this reason would be obvious.  If you're flying slow, new tiles are added slowly and the release mechanism can keep up.  If you're flying fast, they're adding faster than they're being released.  If you have sliders high, even more new tiles are added. So... you have problems if you're flying too fast or have sliders set too high.

Great to hear this is being addressed.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1K tiles are batched ... so it could be pretty significant ... would love to add a little more veggie to my plate.  Also like to get me a dash of SLi utilization.  :good:

If you're flying fast, they're adding faster than they're being released.

That makes no sense. Read what LM wrote.

What I would like to know is why is Microsoft's memory management in FSX so damn poor???? They keep making absolutely fundamental programming mistakes.

Best regards,

Robin.

Read what LM wrote.

You mean the part I quoted about tiles not being released aggressively enough?

What I would like to know is why is Microsoft's memory management in FSX so damn poor???? They keep making absolutely fundamental programming mistakes.

You'll get no argument from me on this one.  I've got my "crash every three flights" problem narrowed down to probable memory management issues, and with some creative voodoo have been flying crash free for a while.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Er, how do Microsoft and FSX factor into this discussion of Lockheed-Martin and Prepar3D v2.1?  :wacko:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Er, how do Microsoft and FSX factor into this discussion of Lockheed-Martin and Prepar3D v2.1?  :wacko:

Err..don't ask!