Sign in to follow this  
ckelly14

SSD filling up fast!

After taking advice from a number of posters here, I upgraded my CPU, added a SSD and changed to a 64 bit operating system.  Went from averaging 30 FPS to well over 120, so it was a success.  However, I purchased a 120GB SSD and it's already close filled with just the operating system, FSX, Orbx add-ons and REX.  I think I'll switch REX to the traditional hard drive as I only use it to load textures.  Anyone suggest something I can do to free up additional SSD space?

A 120gig drive won't take too long even filling up just with FSX stuff.

Get a regular disk for OS and all the rest and use SSD just for FSX. Then when it gets tight with that, there are means and ways to get by; for example, even though MS hide that from you NTFS actually is capable of doing hard links ("junctions"). So what I did recently is move all my mesh scenery add-on folders to another disk and create hard links back to the FSX add-on scenery folder, so I didn't have to mess around in all the scenery configurations.

A nice free tool for creating junctions is this one: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

A 64 gig SSD C: drive is barely adequate for the operating system and a few essential programs that don't give you an option where to install them.  Ask me how I know:  the rocket scientists that built my Power Spec computer used one.  When I first got the computer there was 12 gig free, now there's 7.5 and I've cut it back to the bone.  Good thing I don't need a paging file.

That leaves about 60 gig for your other installs on your 120.  It shouldn't be too hard to do the math on what you need.

At least this tells me not to bother with a 128.  Might as well go directly to a 256 if I replace the SSD before I replace the computer.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Ugh!  I just spent the week building this new system and installing all the programs.  I think I'll need to pass on re-installing windows for now. You can only copy a hard drive to the same type/size drive, correct?

No. Clonezilla will let you clone an image on to a larger drive. Works great.

Thanks, I may try that.   I can clone to the large drive, then uninstall FSX, then reinstall FSX on the SSD with millions of add-ons, AGAIN.  This really s***ks...

Just buy a cheap old Hard Drive and use the SSD as your main primary drive and the hard drive as the storage drive, that will free up a lot of space! 

This is why I didn't bother with an SSD and went for a huge HDD instead. Not really noticed much performance issues in FSX.

There may be a utility that comes with an SSD that will copy the drive for you.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Holy crap, Robert! 

Disabling hibernation freed up 12 gig, Manual page file (800 or it complains) freed up another 16 gig.  I now have 5 times the free space I had before:  35 gig instead of 7.5.  Turning off indexing didn't seem to do anything, but I thought I had it off already.

I can't thank you enough. 

Hook

Larry Hookins

I ended up cloning my SSD to my 1TB drive using EaseUS ToDo.  This was a free and quite handy little utility that you can also use for back-ups.

Windows start up was a bit longer, as well as FSX load times, but not very significant.  As expected, no significant changes to my FSX experience. Obviously, CPU, OS and memory changes were more significant.

Anyone want to buy a SSD?  :P

Great link Rodd, thanks - disabling hibernation freed up 10 gigs for me.

Steve Weeks