Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

OK - I guess not all flying is glamorous

My own worst airports I've visited....  Los Angeles, where you have to go in and out of security if you are connecting between many airlines.  Burbank--it still looks like the airport I flew out of in the 60's, not much has changed, and International Falls, MN only because there's a sign there that says "Welcome to the Icebox of the Nation" and boy, is it true.

My favorites I've seen--Sky Harbor Terminal 4 (my home airport), John Wayne (Santa Ana), Orlando, Schiphol & Frankfurt (for the hustle bustle), SFO (since you can circumnavigate the entire airport without going outdoors and people watch) and finally Jackson Hole and Vancouver for the views....

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/10-worst-airports-in-the-world.html/

John

Memphis and Kansas City Intl. is pretty bad.

KMSP's Humphrey terminal is really nice, small, and makes the whole experiance of flying far less of a hassle than it is going to the larger Lindberge terminal at KMSP. It sure is a contrast flying out and then landing in places like KPHL or KATL, you can see the difference in the way things could be and how boggled down the system is now.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

It's all like a human cattle drive! Might as well put ID tags in your ear lobes. :)

Don't get me started on Charles de Gaulle in Paris, France...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Don't get me started on Charles de Gaulle in Paris, France...

My worst European airport memory was in Vienna, in 1977.  My flight home from Munich to JFK went there to pick up some passengers and we were allowed to deplane during the stop.  I was wandering around the airport with some friends and for some reason, a secured area was left unattended and we entered it.  We suddenly were confronted with two guards with machine guns--not a pleasant thing to be surprised with.  They did not speak English and they shooed us away--have no idea what it was about other than possibly some VIP was coming into that part of the terminal.  We were just sixteen at the time and the thought entered my head--no, they probably wouldn't shoot a sixteen year old...  :rolleyes:

My worst Canadian airport visit was one in Ottawa.  In 1999 I was part of one of Detroit's famous "trapped passenger" incidents where we were held hostage on a freezing airplane during a blizzard because the airline did not want the hassle of deplaning and reboarding us.  I was on the aircraft for hours until the storm cleared.  Of course, storms have to go somewhere and it was headed to my destination in Ottawa.  So I arrived in Ottawa around 3AM and struggled across a frozen, snowy tarmac (there were no gates for the puddle jumper I was on).  A frozen John arrived in customs--I was there on a business trip.  The Canadian customs officials made me pay a fee to render my services in the country (I was there to teach some students a piece of software).  I was upset--I was made to pay the same fee (about $100 U.S.) on a trip to Ontario a couple of weeks prior.  They held me up there for some time exhausted as I was.  Finally I negotiated a one time fee for future entrances since other trips were planned as part of the project I was on.  For the reason of my visit, they put "Professor" on my entrance visa.  I still have that visa today and laugh when I think of it, but it was my only encounter with rude Canadian officials out of all my airport travels.  My client gave me the rest of the day off and they treated me to a grand time while I was in Ottawa, so that made up for the hassle.  They said they were embarrassed by the treatment their customs officials gave me.

John

KPHL was a funny trip for me and sad at the same time. There was an attendant that came on the loud speaker in the terminal stating, "Don't leave your bags anywhere or they will be taken" sounding as if you luggage was stolen they wouldn't even bother helping you find them. Your on your own... No very friendly at all.

KCLE and KMKE are crappy airports as well. From flying there a few times I perfectly understand why KCLE finally got dropped as a hub by United. Can't understand why Continental kept it as a hub until they folded.

FS2020 

I'm surprised Moscow Sheremetyevo isn't on the list, truly one of the worst airports I have been to! Although I guess it has changed since '09 with the introduction of the new terminal...

I'm surprised Moscow Sheremetyevo isn't on the list, truly one of the worst airports I have been to! Although I guess it has changed since '09 with the introduction of the new terminal...

You just put it on the list...

FS2020 

i've found mauritius and gdansk very efficient, but manchester airport is terrible from my experiences!

EDIT: pic of mauritius's airport:

Aerial-view-of-the-new-passenger-termina

TJ_zpscc357935.png

but manchester airport is terrible from my experiences

Manchester used to be great until they totally revamped the airport and installed that new security checkpoint in Terminal 1. 

London Heathrow- (Int. Terminal) where the check-in line ups extended fully across the concourse, then snaked around and along the opposite bldg. wall, making the walk to your check in counter almost impossible.

(This some years ago, long before 911, making me decide to never return- at least via EGLL.)

I'm pretty sure this was a warning to humankind as to what the world will look like, moments before it collapses from overpopulation!

january

I'm not sure whether I'm more stunned or simply amused to see Chicago Midway #2 on a list of worst airports in the world.  I mean seriously, Midway is what it is due to a lot of physical constraints, and I've spent my share of hours there sitting on the floor at a gate because there just isn't enough room for everyone waiting, but it's not even close to being on my 10 worst list.  In fact, despite its drawbacks, it's still my airport of choice for Chicago when traveling to the city (as opposed to somewhere in the 'burbs, or as a connection to somewhere else).

I'd submit that anyone who puts Midway as 2nd worst airport in the world hasn't traveled very much. -_-

Scott

Worst airport. Now theres an oxymoron. How bout least worst. Only good part of any airport is the GA, Elliot Aviation etc, terminal where common folk where blue jeans and their isn't a bunch of phony security people running around giving a long haired guy with a beard suspicious looks and pretending to care about your safety. :).

18 years in the business, 10 of them as long haul cabin crew for virgin, as well as shirt haul for bmi and easyjet, so ive seen many many many airports. But by far the worst airport in the world is EGGW, you have to pay to drop people off, pay for a trolley, pay for wifi, not enough seats as its packed with duty free shops... 

14ppkc-6.png

I've been responding to this thread and didn't realize there was a link to a list of bad airports at the bottom of the original post. From what I hear your right about Moscow's airport even though they've build a new terminal.

FS2020