Sign in to follow this  
Phantom88

Dreamfoil Bell 407

Yep I'm using an MS FF2 joystick and am used to hand flying big and small planes in the sim.

With the helis it takes a *very* steady hand, but I might revisit the XP joystick settings.

I notice that the "throttle" (forgive the expression I'm not fluent in heli-speak) works the opposite way round, and I have to reverse that axis in the settings to avoid disorientation. :)

Ok ... what to do? Practise, practise, practise, ... and not to forget ... practise  . Even if you think, "hey, I know perfectly how to handle a PMDG" - for helos you need at least tens of hours to be able to control them passably. You have to learn to FLY BY HAND

Not sure why somebody voted you down, I really dislike the "dislike" button, it should come with a reason for disliking :-). This is absolutely true, you need lots of serious practice to get the hang of helicopters, I've been using them mainly now for about 4 weeks, and I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I find it much more rewarding flying them as opposed to airplanes, because it takes lots of skill and practice, unlike a plane which when trimmed is pretty easy enough to fly in X-Plane. Plus, you can't beat helicopters for getting up close and personal with the scenery.

I can just about manage to handle the default Bell, but I can hardly control the Alabeo at all on regular mode, and even switching to easy mode behaviour seems weird (unable to turn etc).

I hadn't realised that the Alabeo had an easy mode (Yep I didn't read the manual), I thought it was way too easy compared to the Dreamfoil choppers. I turned the easy mode off, and god that thing is now twitchy and challenging to fly, almost as unstable as Dreamfoils R22. 

I use an X52 along with TrackIR. I don't yet have pedals, so it's much harder to coordinate and keep steady flight. The new Bell 407 is much easier to fly and less tiring when cruising. It's also much more stable than the Bell 206, so it's a great heli to begin learning in. Plus, it has some basic IFR instruments such as a VOR and GPS (No DME though). This will be great when the new GPS in 10.30 comes out.

... and I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I find it much more rewarding flying them as opposed to airplanes, ...

+1 B)

What I wanted to say with my previous post (for which I hadn't much time and additionally only a tablet available): as everyone here knows, the takeoff in a plane is quite easy, the landing is (much) more challenging - and even more, with crosswind and turbulences.

Ok, let's switch over to helos: I would rate a (simple?) takeoff with - mind you - no wind and no turbulence as hard as landing a plane with crosswind and turbulences. Thus, a landing - still with no wind and turbulences - is ... really hard. Let's add wind and turbulences ... And now ... to something completely different ... hovering with wind and turbulences. In my eyes (still) impossible :rolleyes: - but of course doable by pros.

I have bought a DVD about Air Zermatt in the Swiss Alps (also available at youtube - in German), with rescueing people from a cable car (from 26:30 to 30:30 min) with wind and turbulences in the high mountains. THESE guys are pilots :P (just because it SEEMS to be so easy).

EDIT: I currently even paused creating buildings for World2Xplane (sorry Tony :sorry:) - as I am this fascinated by flying helos.

EDIT EDIT: Oh ... and ... Tony, I highly recommend to buy pedals (even racing wheel pedals work fine and probably easier than a twist grip - and are more realistic anyway)

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

If you guys had to decide between the AS350 and the Bell 407 - which one would you choose?

I've got both, and that's really difficult to say as I really like both of them. Graphically, the 407 is lighter on my system, so at the moment I prefer that one, but the AS350 is just as high quality and has lots of depth to it. Switching between one and the other is challenging though, because the the rotars rotate in opposite directions, so the torque direction is opposite, and it throws you off for a while. Also, I think the AS350 is more challenging to fly. 

EDIT: I currently even paused creating buildings for World2Xplane (sorry Tony ) - as I am this fascinated by flying helos.

EDIT EDIT: Oh ... and ... Tony, I highly recommend to buy pedals (even racing wheel pedals work fine and probably easier than a twist grip - and are more realistic anyway)

:lol: no worries, I find myself testing World2XPlane, and then spending more time in the heli trying to hover and land than actually testing the scenery etc.. Too much fun, and very addictive. Will definitely pick myself up some pedals, but need a better computer first. I've only just got myself TrackIR and the X52, and it makes a real difference, but my poor computer is on its last legs

If you guys had to decide between the AS350 and the Bell 407 - which one would you choose?

I would choose the Bell 407. The AS 350 is in my opinion a bit to nervous.

I would choose the Bell 407. The AS 350 is in my opinion a bit to nervous.

Yep, you could easily flip it upside down, as if there was no inertia... Rolls are a piece-of-cake maneuver in the AS350...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I don't own the 407, but the 206 and the AS350 - thus I can't judge the 407. The 407 is called to be easier than the 206 - after some familiarisation with the 206 even this one is easier for me than the AS350. But on the other hand, the higher the challenge (and finally being able to tame the beast) the higher is the satisfaction B).

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Deal of the week? D'OH! I bought it on Friday. /facepalm

Lovely helico btw